Film | Jodie Foster | News

Jodie Foster: 'I am Not Retiring'

Some people took Jodie Foster's suggestion at the Golden Globes that big changes were coming in her professional life to mean that the actress was retiring. She is not, she clarifies:

Jodie_foster“No, I am not retiring,” Foster clarified emphatically. “I could never stop acting. You’d have to drag me with wild horses."
Nor is Foster leaving the world of entertainment behind, saying that she in fact wants to do more directing.

“I’m actually more into it than I’ve been,” Foster said of her desire to work in the business.

The point she meant to make in her speech, she explained, was that "my work is evolving.”

Added Foster:

"The speech kind of speaks for itself. It's a big, long career, and it's not just a career; it's friendships and relationships...I feel like I am graduating from something...And it's a big moment, and I wanted to say, you know, what's most in my heart...It's an expression of who I am and what I'm thinking and feeling."

Check out Foster's big speech HERE, if you missed it.

Comments

1. Oh darn.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 14, 2013 9:19:40 AM

2. Haha...I don't think anybody missed it! It's the only thing people are talking about. I've never watched the Golden Globes and only watch the Oscars if I think I have a horse in the race. I wish I'd watched last night, though.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 14, 2013 9:20:47 AM

3. hhhmmm - maybe we can start internet rumours that she's Pregnant?? ;)

Posted by: Dan | Jan 14, 2013 9:30:40 AM

4. Go away, Jodie. You're a poor role model for the GLBT community. There have been TONS more courageous people than you, including people that aren't even gay.

Jodie, you're a selfish woman who deserves to be ignored by the GLBT community. Bye, Jodie.

Posted by: stephen lucas | Jan 14, 2013 9:33:26 AM

5. "The speech kind of speaks for itself."

Okaaaay then. If the speech speaks for itself, then why are we all so utterly confused about what she was trying to say?

Posted by: Keppler | Jan 14, 2013 9:39:30 AM

6. A confusing speech, for sure. But I have to say, she looks great! I have never been a fan of her styling, but that haircut and quasi-20s dress really look good on her! I guess evoking the 1920's makes sense, since she can embrace the androgyny that she usually emphasizes, while still looking hollywood-glam.

Posted by: Miguel R. | Jan 14, 2013 9:52:36 AM

7. Leave Jodie Alone! [Shouting and crying simultaneously with mascara running down my cheeks] Christiano Cockero

Posted by: Tony Diaz | Jan 14, 2013 10:13:30 AM

8. Leave Jodie Alone! [Shouting and crying simultaneously with mascara running down my cheeks] Christiano Cockero

Posted by: Tony Diaz | Jan 14, 2013 10:13:30 AM

9. Why do people dump on her for 'coming out' when she has spoken in the press before of her partner Cydney, the love she showed her in raising her kids etc... just because as she says, she did not have a reality show rah rah of a coming out, does not mean she was any less of a person, any less sincere and any less within her rights to do whatever the hell she wants. So many in our community is so damned critical of others and the way they do things... when last did any of those critical of her stand up at work and announce to the office and all their company's clients and everyone within earshot, that they were gay? Hmm? Stop being to damned hypocritical!

Posted by: CKNJ | Jan 14, 2013 10:13:44 AM

10. We dump on her because she is a very poor role model for the so called community.
    She should just STFU and go away.

Posted by: Sarcastic medved | Jan 14, 2013 10:30:08 AM

11. I was confused also about what she was trying to say, other than her plea for a right to privacy. We "get it", Jodie, you're not a role model- and that's ok. She also doesn't like pigeon-holes. But the fact is she could learn a lot from an Ellen De Generis, who always manages to be original and still comes across as a non-stereotypical lesbian.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 14, 2013 10:45:43 AM

12. Jody Foster is to be applauded for a remarkable body of work. However, her reluctance to come out and her continued defense and promotion of Mel Gibson tells me that she doesn't give a flip about the gay community or her place within it. After all, she never said "I am gay" in the speech and she referred to her ex-partner as her sister, her best friend or some other such non-committal garbage. If she wants her privacy, have it. Make your movies and then do nothing to promote them. Stay at home and moan about being single. Stupid.

Posted by: MEMARCH | Jan 14, 2013 10:50:19 AM

13. I have loved Jodie Foster since she was a child. She is a GREAT Actress, and in all those years, I have not really heard that much about her personal life other than rumors.

Obviously, she likes her privacy. Truth is, she does not owe anyone on this thread a thing.

The people who are being nasty to Jodie, are the same people who would be nasty to Ellen. They would just reverse their criticism.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Jan 14, 2013 10:50:38 AM

14. Reading these comments is enough...Jodie Foster, actor speaks...mildly interesting if you haven't got much of a life. The Beekman Boys have a thousand times more to offer.

Posted by: SOB | Jan 14, 2013 11:08:51 AM

15. Ugh.. whatever.. she doesn't mind sharing her "privacy" when she has a project to pimp..

Posted by: Michael | Jan 14, 2013 11:09:10 AM

16. All of the coming out stuff aside, the speech was a ridiculous, undignified mess. She is a fifty year old actress being celebrated for an amazing career and she behaved like a nerdy schoolgirl. Where was the polished professional that she presents in her films? If she had delivered a coherent and meaningful acceptance speech, I personally could care less about her personal life. She's spent a lifetime in quiet denial, why bother now and in such a clumsy and addled way?

Posted by: MEMARCH | Jan 14, 2013 11:18:04 AM

17. JF needs to never speak in public without a speech writer. The impression one takes away from her film performances is of an intelligent, mature, lovely woman. The impression left by this speech is that of a floundering, frightened, defensive and not very bright person (the heartfelt tribute to her mom being the one exception).

The problem with sneaking out of the closet and never closing that door is that you're perpetually on the fence. Undignified and sad, no surprise she is lonely.

Posted by: arrant | Jan 14, 2013 11:35:40 AM

18. Wow, a lot of the comments prove my point that gay men are the most prejudice people around. She doesn't need to prove anything nor "come out". She was never actually in the closet.

Posted by: TonkaManOR | Jan 14, 2013 11:58:20 AM

19. I kind of give Jodie Foster a pass for her (some would say exaggerated) desire for privacy. I mean, jeez, someone tried to assassinate the President to impress HER! I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest something like that would really make you kind of leery of letting your fans get too close, know too much.

Posted by: Caliban | Jan 14, 2013 11:59:48 AM

20. She should have written and rewritten that speech. Or had somebody help her with it. Taunting us about her need for privacy? Was there an arrangement that kept Cydney's face from being shown - yet the sons were fair game?

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 14, 2013 2:43:13 PM

21. What we need to remember is that "coming out" doesn't mean the same thing for a public figure (politician, actor, musician, etc.) as it does for the rest of us private nobodies. You and I just have to come out to our family and friends and we're out forever; a celebrity can do all of that and still be "closeted" if they haven't repeated the process for complete strangers in the media. Hell, I'm as out as they come and even I would be a bit uncomfortable if I were obliged to issue a public statement to the media about it.

By all means, I applaud every celebrity who comes out -- but unless they're publicly maintaining an anti-gay posture to protect themselves, they're still entitled to do so on their own terms rather than mine.

Not every celebrity navigates the challenge perfectly, I grant you -- but they do face a unique challenge of having to "come out" *twice*, in two completely different contexts, which the rest of us never actually have to even contemplate. So, yes, every celebrity who chooses to come out in the media deserves our thanks -- but no celebrity has a moral or ethical *obligation* to do so, not even Jodie Foster.

Posted by: Craig S | Jan 14, 2013 3:14:13 PM

22. I didn't really see what was so confusing about her speech. She didn't use the exact words that perhaps everyone was looking for, but she said enough to make her point known, for one, and her sexuality has not only been established some years back, but has been well-known for a very long time. I agree with Craig S.

As far as the "disorganized" nature of her speech, I think she was just being herself. For years and years, I had a particular image of Jodie Foster in the public eye. There was always kind of a posture and grace, and a slight bit of humorlessness to her at award shows and such, and I think what most of us are seeing in her speech is simply her cutting out the "hollywood" pretense, and letting her hair down, (after all, she's 50!), and just being herself. Which is awesome.

Posted by: antisaint | Jan 14, 2013 4:30:41 PM

23. @CKNJ Because the gay fascists will not leave anyone alone unless everyone who has not publicly declared themselves in manner that is satisfactory to Michael Signorile are standing on a street corner in glad rags screaming I'M GAY I'M GAY I'M GAY at the top of their lungs and then rolling around on the ground in animal excrement.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 14, 2013 7:37:14 PM

24. I thought it was disgraceful. She has no problem defending anti-semite Mel Gibson but can't even say she's gay in a "coming out" speech! I thought the language she used also indicated shame, like her publicist being "nervous" and freaking out over what she might say- ugh, Jodie, you're not confessing to murder! Look, I know her generation is different but she is completely out of touch with what is going on in the gay community and her entire speech was awful.

Posted by: beaugard stevens | Jan 14, 2013 7:37:43 PM

25. I thought Jodie's speech was beautifully stated. It was offbeat and funny, indirect and direct. Never did I find it rambling, or difficult to follow. It made perfect sense to me.

Too bad (some) others here cannot see how hard it must have been to get up there and say what she did.

I think she chose this time because she is in touch, and understands the gay community's struggles with the Prop 8, DOMA, etc. Her comments are an asset to the movement of equal rights in this country. And she is a role model for young boys and girls who are struggling with their sexuality.

Posted by: JT | Jan 15, 2013 2:19:28 AM