Anderson Cooper | CNN | Kathy Griffin | News

Kathy Griffin Goes For Anderson Cooper's Euphemism On NYE: VIDEO

KathyCooperPsy

Goodness gracious, Kathy Griffin was in rare form when she joined pal Anderson Cooper for CNN's New Year's Eve countdown, particularly when tickled what she calls his "sack" and he what calls his "Christmas presents." She later attempted to distract the anchor by laying a lip smack down under. Maybe she was  confused about hemispheres and date lines?

While that moment, included AFTER THE JUMP, was most likely the most stressful for CNN's censors, Cooper says the most bizarre moment was when Psy and MC Hammer wandered onto their stage: "He was pushed on by some Psy PR team... I don't think he knew where he was. I don't think he knew who we were. I don't think he realized he was on CNN."

Watch Cooper and potty-mouth Griffin try to be gracious hosts AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I like her OK, I just wish she would leave her face alone already. She is too young to go the way of Joan Rivers.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 2, 2013 9:15:10 AM

2. Without makeup she sort of looks like a Gahan Wilson drawing. I have a feeling she needs work during commercial breaks! She just always pushes the vulgarity-envelope. Poor Anderson. His mom probably saw that, too.

Posted by: Geoff | Jan 2, 2013 9:26:55 AM

3. The two of them are good friends and he knows what to expect from her. And as far as work goes, she had some botched plastic surgery awhile back and as far as I know has not done anything since then. She's actually against it. What you're looking at is probably a pound of makeup.

Posted by: AJ | Jan 2, 2013 9:36:43 AM

4. I watched it that night. I love Kathy because she's quick on her feet and sometimes brilliant with her retorts. That simulated oral joke might have been fine had she done it once, but there were two more attempts and it soured. At any rate, simulated oral humor is probably best kept in private when you're drunk and goofing around and not on national tv. It will never work out well with a good hunk of the audience.

Posted by: will | Jan 2, 2013 9:51:28 AM

5. I think it was adorable.
    I also like Anderson's innocent act. When anyone talks raunchily, he always looks surprised and says 'I don't know what that means.' A gay man acting innocent is so deliciously ironic. It's a brilliant play.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jan 2, 2013 11:10:26 AM

6. "For Christ sake Kathleen", know where to draw the line.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 2, 2013 11:26:20 AM

7. My God! There could have been children watching!!

Seriously, that was tacky on her part. What do the shows producers think? Will they use here again? Was there any clause in her contract [morals type clause] that would allow them to refuse paying her?

This sounds staged, likely for publicity. We'd never hear about this NYE show if this didn't happen.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 2, 2013 12:12:52 PM

8. The most dreadful New Years Eve broadcast I've ever watched. I think Anderson needs to let this one go. Kathy is not funny. Not at all.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 2, 2013 12:28:02 PM

9. I agree that one oral sex joke with Anderson was funny, but Kathy wouldn't let it go.

But this is the SIXTH year they have co-hosted together. She and Anderson are close friends. He knew exactly what to expect. She actively tries to unsettle him and make him crack. That is why CNN hires her every year, and yet every year people clutch their pearls in shock and horror.

Get your celebrities and warm milk from bland Ryan Seacrest on ABC and narcotized Carson Daly on NBC.

Posted by: FilmTurtle | Jan 2, 2013 12:43:56 PM

10. My new hubby and I watched it and LOVED it! They're hilarious together. And the whole Psy/MC Hammer moment was surreal. My favorite part was when she was about to make a comment about ChristianMingle.com, who were actually the sponsors of the closed captioning for the evening, believe it or not. Anderson literally put his hand over her mouth as they cut to commercial.

I love Kathy G

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jan 2, 2013 1:04:14 PM

11. There were some great and funny moments, but sometimes Ms. Griffin just gets vulgar for no reason and that's not funny for me unless it's there to add to a joke already in progress. It's adolescent to bring up penises, vaginas and blow-jobs as non-sequiturs. She's usually wittier than that and doesn't have to rely on such low-brow stuff. A bit disappointed in her and I'm a big fan and it was basically an uncomfortable evening for the most part.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 2, 2013 1:53:47 PM

12. Kathy demonstrates that it is possible to be both a cow and a pig.

Posted by: ccbeach | Jan 2, 2013 1:58:57 PM

13. Kathy Griffin is like Dorothy Parker's little mentally retarded sister, and I love them both, genuinely.

Posted by: Thomas | Jan 2, 2013 4:44:43 PM

14. I think people need to get a grip. Anderson and Kathy have been doing this schtick for 6 years. CNN knows what to expect and the audiance knows what to expect. No one is shocked by it. It is all about Kathy trying to get Anderson to lose it on air. Its funny stuff. Certainly not bland like the other NYrs broadcasts.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Jan 2, 2013 5:00:34 PM

15. The gayest New Years team was over at Univision were Samy ( who has gotten rich from selling hair spray at HSM) and El Nino Prodigio a flaming astrologist told their Spanish language how to bring good luck into there life.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 2, 2013 5:26:17 PM

16. I loved the show. The first time in about four years. Anderson was relaxed. He was never before. He's really florished since coming out.

Kathy diving for Anderson's package was funny the first two times. But like every year Kathy runs the routine into the ground.

Posted by: Billy Crytical | Jan 2, 2013 7:32:55 PM

17. They're on for hours. Shouldn't some scripting be done - what about guests? Some comedic expert infortainment with Fireworks experts, numerologists, psychologists talking about the effects of New Years - whatever. No one can do hours of banter without something to work with.

Posted by: Markt | Jan 2, 2013 10:59:53 PM

18. They're on for hours. Shouldn't some scripting be done - what about guests? Some comedic expert infortainment with Fireworks experts, numerologists, psychologists talking about the effects of New Years - whatever. No one can do hours of banter without something to work with.

Posted by: Markt | Jan 2, 2013 10:59:53 PM

19. Is it the cold? Or does she look like Pinocchio?

Posted by: Brion | Jan 3, 2013 2:02:45 AM

20. Who is Psy? Not that I really give a s*it!

Posted by: andrew | Jan 3, 2013 2:05:24 AM

21. I agree with Billy Crytical; Anderson actually did seem much more comfortable in his own skin than he has in the past. Kathy obviously wouldn't let the joke die, but it was still funny to see him react.

However, there's a story here besides two media personalities being goofballs. This clip comes from "Newsbusters" via the Media Research Center, a conservative propaganda mill that seeks to "expose liberal bias in the media." Apparently to conservatives, Kathy Griffin going after Anderson Cooper's "Christmas presents" is somehow evidence of liberal media bias.

Posted by: Dan B | Jan 3, 2013 4:33:37 AM

22. @Andrew: I'm not sure how you managed to follow TR and not know that Psy is morally responsible for "Gangnam Style".

BTW - I added links to TR 26 December 2012 "Westboro is left-wing" regarding ultra-right-wing curriculum.

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Jan 3, 2013 5:01:14 PM