News | Science

Life by the Numbers: VIDEO

Lifebythenumbers

PBS Digital Studios realized that YouTube is teeming with science geeks, so it has started a new series called 'It's Okay to Be Smart' featuring a smart alec host Joe Hanson, who, in the first episode, fills your head with dazzling facts about how successful humans are to other species.

The ASAPScience guys are going to need to step up their game!

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Bats make up 1 in 5 mammal species?

Posted by: BobN | Jan 30, 2013 12:51:55 PM

2. I have a weakness for guys this nerdy…

Posted by: Mona | Jan 30, 2013 1:17:58 PM

3. Goodness, I do love geeky men. Smart geeky men really make me smile. Fortunately, I've got one at home. :)

Posted by: SoSeriouslyY | Jan 30, 2013 1:30:10 PM

4. Yeah, let's hear it for hot nerds (I've got mine at home too). Smart = sexy

Posted by: RONTEX | Jan 30, 2013 1:33:37 PM

5. Sexy nerd notwithstanding, I disagree with his premise that a species' "success" is determined by, essentially, it's footprint. Perhaps that's some kind of accepted scientific method, but I would think a more pertinent one would be a position on the food chain. Or its effect upon the physical world in which it exists.

In that last case, you could almost say that for the species having the most effect on the physical environment, increased population at some point (which humans have likely passed) is actually a measure of decreasing success.

Posted by: Zlick | Jan 30, 2013 4:13:52 PM

6. Bet he's got a big, thick hammer

Posted by: Ron | Jan 30, 2013 4:44:51 PM

7. Confusing trivia with smarts, but okay.

Posted by: anon | Jan 30, 2013 11:11:09 PM

8. RON - maybe so and wouldn't a whole lot of us like to be nailed by it.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 31, 2013 2:16:39 AM

9. You guys are mauling and harrassing this nerdy guy just like straight guys do with women they don't know out the car window. It's just a new form of sexism!

Seriously, this isn't isn't "smart". This is simply reiterating data. "Smart" is being able to put data together into a cohesive theory and see the connections that nobody else can like Darwin did in his "Origin of Species".

You know, on a primal level we gay guys ARE like those sexist construction workers ogling the passing women. Except we say, "I bet he's got a big, thick hammer."

Posted by: will | Feb 25, 2013 3:38:51 PM