I'm Gay | Jim Nabors | News | Television

'Gomer Pyle' Actor Jim Nabors Comes Out as Gay, Marries Longtime Partner in Seattle: VIDEO

Nabors

Actor Jim Nabors, who played 'Gomer Pyle' in the classic 60's sitcom of the same name, has come out of the closet after years of speculation, in an announcement that he married his partner of 38 years, Stan Cadwallader, in Seattle on Jan 15, Hawaii News Now reports:

PyleNabors declined an on-camera interview but spoke to Hawaii News Now by phone.

"I'm 82 and he's in his 60s and so we've been together for 38 years and I'm not ashamed of people knowing, it's just that it was such a personal thing, I didn't tell anybody," Nabors said. "I'm very happy that I've had a partner of 38 years and I feel very blessed.  And, what can I tell you, I'm just very happy."

Nabors said he and Cadwallader traveled to Washington state, where gay marriages became legal in early December 2012. They were married at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle.

A judge performed the marriage ceremony in the privacy of their hotel room with a couple of friends who live down the street from them near Diamond Head as witnesses, Nabors said.

Before they were married, Nabors said, "It's pretty obvious that we had no rights as a couple, yet when you've been together 38 years, I think something's got to happen there, you've got to solidify something.  And at my age, it's probably the best thing to do."

Nabors indicated that he plans to continue living a very private life and would not become a marriage activist.

Nabors was the subject of a longtime rumor that he had 'married' Rock Hudson. Hudson said that the urban legend was started by  "middle-aged homosexuals who live in Huntington Beach" who sent out a joke invitation to their marriage, which blew up into something that a few people started to take seriously. It reportedly damaged their relationship forever.

Watch the HNN report and interview with Nabors, AFTER THE JUMP...

Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Comments

1. Well, "surprise surprise"!

Best wishes to the happy couple.

Posted by: EdA | Jan 30, 2013 7:13:32 AM

2. Well, better late than never.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 30, 2013 7:17:12 AM

3. Andy, thank you, you post so much good stuff on here (love all the science, architecture and news) that it's a big joy to show up every day, often many times. This site is a complete service to gay men who enjoy the world at large, as well as each other and the enlightenment both bring. Yes, thank you.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jan 30, 2013 7:17:14 AM

4. Blessings

Posted by: Lars | Jan 30, 2013 7:27:22 AM

5. Well, gawwwwwwwwwwww-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! ;)

Posted by: JSH | Jan 30, 2013 7:32:15 AM

6. Very sweet, congratulations. Nice to know after all those years of rumor he's just casually come out in such a big way. Here's to many more years together for the happy couple.

Posted by: Jersey | Jan 30, 2013 7:50:03 AM

7. I loved that show when I was a child. Congratulations Gomer!

Posted by: Phil | Jan 30, 2013 8:14:52 AM

8. Congratulations! Better late than never.

Posted by: ernest1960 | Jan 30, 2013 8:30:51 AM

9. I remember reading an article back in the late 60s or so in a gossip rag that Jim and Rock Hudson were an item. Probably not true, but accurate as far as their sexuality. Always thought Jim was gay.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 30, 2013 8:33:36 AM

10. I thought his orientation was public knowledge. Well, never too late! Congratulations to the happy couple!

Posted by: John K | Jan 30, 2013 8:38:17 AM

11. I thought that he came out a long time ago.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 30, 2013 8:51:03 AM

12. Worst kept secret in history! When he lived in Whitefish MT he would have guys over all the time. All the "gays in the village" would go to his house for parties.
    Still, nice to see him happy.

Posted by: Adam Mathias | Jan 30, 2013 8:55:44 AM

13. I used to have a MAJOR crush on Jim Nabors back in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid coming of age--something about that adorable but slightly goofy face, juxtaposed with the power and richness of his voice when he sang. (To this day, no one has done chestnuts such as "Born Free" so thrillingly in my memory.) I'm so happy he got married in my hometown!! Hugs and kisses, Jim & Stan!

Posted by: Dback | Jan 30, 2013 10:02:01 AM

14. Well this is all a nice big ceremony, probably a fancy party, but WHERE ARE THE RIGHTS? Where is Gomer Pyle's access to the 1500 rights and obligations which married couples share together that, despite this nice ceremony, public story, Gomer will still not get?????

For example, Gomer's partner will never get the proceeds of his military pension, share in a marital deduction for his inheritance tax of Gomer's estate...it goes on and on.....

This is nice, but it's only fluff, it's only ceremony, and its really hollow without the 1500 rights!

Posted by: Tom | Jan 30, 2013 10:11:52 AM

15. Where are all the 20 and 30 somethings commenting? Oh, that's right...LOL

Posted by: ic_stud | Jan 30, 2013 11:06:20 AM

16. Good for you, Gomer. I mean, uh, Jim! No, seriously. Congratulations and god bless you and your husband. I hope you will have more happiness than two hearts can hold.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 30, 2013 11:07:13 AM

17. @Tom,

You're right.

And the better late than never comments are unnecessary. Nabors came from a place and time that was very different and far more difficult for gay men. I'm sure he did the best he could and he's still around and didn't die long ago in a 'accident', O.D. or from AIDS, so good luck to him.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 30, 2013 11:09:48 AM

18. He can rock my hudson anytime....

Posted by: kodiak | Jan 30, 2013 11:23:26 AM

19. Oh dear, how did he break this news to Lou Ann Poovie?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jan 30, 2013 11:48:51 AM

20. I thought he was out for a while now. Hmm. Congrats to them!

Posted by: TonkaManOR | Jan 30, 2013 12:05:19 PM

21. Well that was the biggest "no Duh" momnet of the year.

Posted by: Bruce | Jan 30, 2013 12:25:27 PM

22. I'm channeling my inner Larry Kramer here—Mr. Nabors (whose Christmas album I loved as a child) met his partner in 1975. I graduated from college in 1990. He could have made an impact for all those "Andy Griffith Show" loving conservatives if he had stood up for anything back then—"wow, Gomer Pyle is fighting for a cure for AIDS, he hates discrimination." But he was living his life in "privacy." Fine, he can do that. And will continue to do so, as he said he isn't becoming a marriage activist. Even his wedding was held in a hotel room, out of the public eye. Therefore, I will not call his marriage a news event. Every couple that got married that same day—their marriages didn't cause a media frenzy. His shouldn't either. And truthfully, it doesn't mean anything to people younger than 40 ("Jim WHO?"). Too little too late.

Posted by: ic_stud | Jan 30, 2013 12:31:29 PM

23. Shazaam!

Posted by: Goober. | Jan 30, 2013 1:29:12 PM

24. The guy has lived his life with dignity as a responsible and productive citizen, at least as far as we know. How many scandals have involved him? He like his privacy. What's wrong with that? Do all gays have be like that obnoxious moron Lil C*unt [AKA Little Kiwi] who posts endlessly smug, ignorant and tedious posts under his own name and is the biggest troll on TR, usually under whatever name of the day/hour he uses or hijacks?

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 30, 2013 1:31:34 PM

25. WOW!!!!!!! You hypocrites!

He lived his live in private, had a longtime partner, didn't use the two words "I'm gay" when coming out....sound familiar? Jodie Foster lived her life almost the exact same way and you b*tchy Queens came out and scratched her with your nails when she came out two weeks ago! You guys treated her like she was the worst person in the world, like she was a traitor...Jim (who I have nothing against) does the same thing and he gets pats on the backs by you. Not one of you has yet to criticize him for living a lie in the closet, etc. What a double standard! Unbelievable!!!

Posted by: DAN | Jan 30, 2013 1:46:15 PM