Chris Culliver | Football (American) | News

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver on Anti-Gay Remarks: 'I Apologize to Those I Have Hurt and Offended'

San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver has released a statement regarding anti-gay remarks he made in a radio interview on Tuesday, ESPN reports:

Culliver"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel," he said in the statement. "It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience."

Culliver planned to formally address his remarks at a news conference during the 49ers' media availability Thursday morning, according to his personal public relations representative, Theodore Palmer.

"Chris is very apologetic for any harm caused to anyone," Palmer told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "His intent was not that at all. He is one who celebrates the differences of others. All of this was just a big mistake. It was interpreted wrong."

EARLIER...
San Francisco 49er Chris Culliver: Gays Not Welcome in the Locker Room or the NFL - AUDIO

Comments

1. "were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel,"

Huh? You think this but you don't feel it?

Whatever.

I really hope he learns and grows from this.

Posted by: Jennifer | Jan 30, 2013 8:47:15 PM

2. He clearly did not write this statement. It uses big words and has proper grammar.

Posted by: Peter | Jan 30, 2013 8:47:48 PM

3. Scrambling for a defense there, eh?

I guess the thoughts in his head don't match the warm fuzzies he has in his heart for gay men.

And "It was interpreted wrong".

You can't interpret that any other way than bigoted and hateful. Nice try.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 30, 2013 8:51:08 PM

4. Do they copy and paste these apologies from somewhere?

Posted by: zeddy | Jan 30, 2013 8:52:52 PM

5. Interpreted wrong? Whilst I grant you he's no Christopher Marlowe there's no mistaking his intent:

"No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do..."

I personally don't accept this non-apology because he clearly doesn't yet accept he was being an unthinking bigot.

Posted by: ryansson | Jan 30, 2013 8:57:35 PM

6. C'mon, "derogatory"? Really? Given his earlier statements I find it difficult to believe that this gentleman has even heard this word before, let alone knows what it means.

Typical non-apology written by the corporate PR department.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Jan 30, 2013 9:00:23 PM

7. Wow what a load of crap.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 30, 2013 9:01:13 PM

8. I am usually willing to accept an apology. Especially from an individual with such a weak intellect. But not this time. He made unequivocal bigoted statements. And then his PR folks made the false dichotomy between his thoughts and feelings. Nope, no forgiveness. He is a small minded bigoted hooplehead. If the team lets him play, they deserve to lose.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Jan 30, 2013 9:01:16 PM

9. "were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel? What the hell does that mean?

Posted by: Alex | Jan 30, 2013 9:01:47 PM

10. This is the classic token apology written by someone else. The admin guy at the 49 'ers probably wrote it.

Posted by: jason | Jan 30, 2013 9:03:32 PM

11. Honestly, I find these apologies more insulting than the homophobic statements. They're pure damage control. Nothing has changed with this guy. He still feels the same way about gays in sports. It's assholes like him that intimidate and keep players in the closet (and shame others into supporting gay players).

I hope he brakes something and his career ends soon. /rage

Posted by: daws | Jan 30, 2013 9:04:49 PM

12. Well, the only way it could be 'interpreted wrong' is if he was being satirical or ironic (i.e., he said it while sitting on the lap of a team mate). Somehow, I don't think that's the case here!

Posted by: RockinRobbie | Jan 30, 2013 9:05:45 PM

13. Translation: "Um, I'm about to lose a shitload of endorsement money and my PR team wrote this for me so I can continue raking in the money while not really caring what gay people think of me."

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jan 30, 2013 9:06:23 PM

14. Oh, the comments were a reflection of thoughts in his head! And who can be responsible for those? They just fly out and get misinterpreted. Glad that's all cleared up.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 30, 2013 9:10:57 PM

15. "Please, God, break a foot up in his ass and make him feel the hatred he spews all up and down his cowardly spine! Amen!" It's time to pray away the bigot.

Posted by: Scooter | Jan 30, 2013 9:12:14 PM

16. Once again, the NFL has made it clear that they regard playing ability over common decency. Words such as these would never be excused by a fake apology if they were directed at any other minority group in America. Thanks, 49ers, for ruining my Super Bowl!

Posted by: niles | Jan 30, 2013 9:12:41 PM

17. Normally I try to take these apologies with a grain of salt and a "thanks for trying attitude" but for this one, well LMAO!

Posted by: Opinionated | Jan 30, 2013 9:13:37 PM

18. Here's an idea. Take anyone who makes a statement like this and "apologizes", and help speed his desire for learning and growing by having him spend an entire week living rooming with a gay man, a gay couple, or a gay family. I bet we might start getting a lot more honesty out of these a-holes.

Posted by: Stefan | Jan 30, 2013 9:16:40 PM

19. Come on. Do we REALLY believe that the person who wrote this 'apology' is the same person whose twitter says things like:

"Boy I wake up to a mean txt females in general just be -- well let me just say they be on there PERIOD!! #1 love is mom dudes!!! Period"

"I pray to God I'm never dieing broke"

"Ball like its no tomorrow!!"

Posted by: MIkeh | Jan 30, 2013 9:20:45 PM

20. If it was a white player who said these things about blacks, he would be off the team.

Am I the only one who burst out laughing while reading "his statement"? The idea that this illiterate actually wrote this is hilarious to me.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 30, 2013 9:24:31 PM

21. from AmericaBlog

one month ago the 49ers suspend a player for making comments about management and coaches. 49ers also tell public about the disciplinary actions taken. But, in this case, there is no suspension and no public disclosure of any disciplinary action.

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 30, 2013 9:25:58 PM

22. huh? he must think we're as stupid as he is.

Posted by: deedrdo | Jan 30, 2013 9:28:01 PM

23. There is no way that he wrote that apology himself. All the verbs are conjugated correctly and he said "they are" instead of "there". LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 30, 2013 9:30:56 PM

24. Bull. Pure and simple.

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel." What the h*ll does that mean? Then who did those thoughts reflect and if you don't feel that way why were they knocking around in that head of your's just waiting to bust out?

"Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart." No, but they came out of your mouth.

From his PR flack: "All of this was just a big mistake. It was interpreted wrong." Who handles his PR, Lindsay Lohan's people? Just shut up, you are making it worse by saying it was the public's misperception.

He said it, he should own up to it and learn from it. Don't BS us and say "I said these things, but I really didn't mean them and everyone else interpreted them wrong". That's a cop-out.

Wait for it...the next story will be that he made the pilgramage to visit the holy GLAAD "powers that be" for atonement and to get his punishment. They seem to have annointed themselves the forgivers in these cases.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 30, 2013 9:31:21 PM

25. You can take those football hits, but heaven forbid having the Gay Language Gestapo come down on your head. Circa 2013.

Posted by: Gary | Jan 30, 2013 9:40:25 PM