News | Shaquille O'Neal

BigGayDeal.com

Don't Pee Next to Shaquille O'Neal

Etiquette

On his Facebook page yesterday, Shaquille O'Neal posted a cartoon about proper restroom etiquette featuring two men, one of whom is depicted striding in a swishy manner, relieving themselves at adjacent urinals, telling his followers what he would do should he encounter such a situation:

This is an automatic fight in my book.....LMFAO.

The posting has prompted more than 1,015 comments, a majority of them homophobic. Though he may have not intended it, the post, which points out a common men's room faux pas avoided by straight and gay men alike, has encouraged and produced hateful dialogue against the latter.

O'Neals' Facebook page has more than 3,250,000 likes.

Comments

1. "one of whom is depicted striding in a swishy manner"

You can't be serious?

Posted by: ripper | Jan 3, 2013 9:52:47 AM

2. Yet another reason Facebook still needs a "Dislike" button.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 3, 2013 9:53:19 AM

3. Yawn.

Posted by: Chadd | Jan 3, 2013 9:59:54 AM

4. I agree with most of the comments in that screenshot - I'd kick their ass too!

@Ripper - hey, you're surprised? This is Towleroad, where all the politi-tards look for reasons to get all uppity & whiny.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 3, 2013 10:02:00 AM

5. Oh you're so masculine Shaquille !
    "An automatic fight ......"

I bet we are all scared !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 3, 2013 10:11:10 AM

6. You think he is swishy? I don't see it.
    I would defiantly move to another urinal.

Posted by: IAbear | Jan 3, 2013 10:13:41 AM

7. You think he is swishy? I don't see it.
    I would defiantly move to another urinal.

Posted by: IAbear | Jan 3, 2013 10:13:42 AM

8. What's a "straight beet down"?

Is that where the guy uses heterosexual vegetables to hit you?

Posted by: anonymous | Jan 3, 2013 10:17:40 AM

9. I completely agree with Shaq on this. MOVE DOWN. And don't go in the stall next to me if there are several others available. No one likes to take a dump shoulder-to-shoulder with someone unless it's absolutely necessary. And that cartoon is not "swishy". Gimme a break.

Posted by: AJ | Jan 3, 2013 10:21:20 AM

10. "avoided by straight and gay men alike"

Really? I guess some people have never been to a leather bar or a sex club. Why are Americans so uptight?

Posted by: KevinVT | Jan 3, 2013 10:24:33 AM

11. Shaquille, like so many arrogant hetero turds overestimates his sexual attractiveness to women and Gays. How can a big fat motha' f.cka' who aint pretty have no sense of humility?

Rick, at your age who the f.ck would want to stand next to you at urinal and look at your wrinkled ding ding?

Does machismo and stupidity go hand and hand?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 3, 2013 10:33:30 AM

12. "a majority of them homophobic" - i had a quick glance through the comments, barely any homophobia, just the usual puerile nonsense.

i think anybody can see that the posted picture has nothing to do with sexuality, and the majority of people can see that

Posted by: danswon | Jan 3, 2013 10:40:51 AM

13. Oh man. I agree 100% with O'Neil. Another one of my pet peeves is people who decide to sit right next to you, even though there's plenty of empty space wherever you are, train, etc., And this really gets under my skin: I take subway trains all the time, and they generally have simple seating with rows facing each other, to maximize space and available seating. Trains are generally crowded all the time, but occasionally when it's half empty you'll get a person who decides to sit sideways [to look out the window?] while sitting a foot or two from your face. I'm an assertive and fairly aggressive person by nature, and always turn around and give them the stink eye. After a while some will say something like 'WTF,yo?' and I'll ask WTF is their problem. Then, they usually turn away and sit normally.

A lot of people really need to get their head out of their a** and show some respect and manners towards others in public places. It's getting worse all the time,IMO.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 3, 2013 10:49:17 AM

14. And, yes, once again the guys posting on the FB page with snide comments are the men no gay man would ever want to catch a glimpse of.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 3, 2013 10:50:53 AM

15. Getting outraged over stuff that isn't even there only undermines our credibility when *real* stuff merits an outraged response.

If I were a guy, that would seriously unnerve me, too. It's riding in an empty subway car and a stranger gets on board and decides to sit right next to you. Getting upset when someone shows total disregard for one's personal space =/= homophobia.

Posted by: Shelly | Jan 3, 2013 10:55:23 AM

16. It isn't homophobia, it is about personal space. Definitely skeeves me out a bit when someone decides to pee right next to you for no reason.

Posted by: Joseph L. | Jan 3, 2013 11:06:52 AM

17. OMG. There are homophobic sports fans on facebook. I'm shocked! SHOCKED I tell you!

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 3, 2013 11:49:54 AM

18. Oh WTF, maybe someone is pissing in the urinal next to you because there is a urinal there. It is not like you two are crossing streams in a single toilet. If you need that level of privacy piss in a toilet with the stall door closed and locked. What freaks me out is some dude standing around in a public restroom not pissing when there are plenty of urinals or toilets available. If only every other urinal was to be used, then there would be less urinals spaced farther apart. Only YOUR world revolves around YOUR penis, other people just have to piss and the first available urinal works for me.

Posted by: Nigel | Jan 3, 2013 11:53:54 AM

19. This reinforces why Charles Barkley is more intelligent than Shaq.

Poor Shaq... What a tool.....

Posted by: TonyJazz | Jan 3, 2013 11:58:29 AM

20. It really isn't a big deal if someone pees next to you. Preferring a guy pees at an open urinal not directly next to you? Yes, that's understandable. But it shouldn't be that big a deal. Just pee and get out. I don't think Shaq intended to be homophobic. But his followers are a different story. I wouldn't say MOST comments are homophobic but a lot of them are and it's ignorant, but at the same time, it comes as no surprise given the type of people who are commenting in the first place.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 3, 2013 12:06:34 PM

21. Obviously the people agreeing with Shaq are missing the point. He is encouraging violence against a simple misunderstanding OR EVEN if the person is trying to pick you up. YOU DON'T FIGHT SOMEONE just cause they may be cruising you. All this is really encouraging is gay bashing. YES..it really is.

Posted by: Spikee | Jan 3, 2013 12:16:06 PM

22. I don't actually think Shaq was implying anything about cruising. More like you're breaking the "man code" by peeing next to him and violating his personal space. Of course, that doesn't excuse his idea that one should be violent because of that. That's ridiculous and that is the comment that gives an OK to gaybashing or just bashing.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 3, 2013 12:25:18 PM

23. Ugly homophobia from the ugliest man alive (Shaquille O'Neal, followed by Lebron James).

Of course, with a name like, uh, "Shaquille", I'd be a little sensitive, too.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 3, 2013 12:26:06 PM

24. Look, some of us have smaller penises and we don't like others to know about it.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 3, 2013 12:45:13 PM

25. @RICK Rumour has it that Shaquille has one of the smallest.

Posted by: mikeinqueens | Jan 3, 2013 2:37:08 PM