News | Sebastian Stan | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Sebastian Stan's Torso Warrants Above-the-Line Billing: VIDEO

Stan

Ben Brantley says the new revival of Willliam Inge's Picnic on Broadway is a disconnected "billboard for prettiness" with a male torso as its star:

Of course the torso belongs to a person, the actor Sebastian Stan. But it has been given the kind of lavish individual attention that would seem to warrant above-the-title billing.

As impeccably chiseled and hairless as a marble statue by Praxiteles, this leading body part is not merely decorative. It’s the catalyst that sets the plot a-boiling in Sam Gold’s stultifying interpretation of Inge’s time-yellowed 1953 drama of a lusty, dusty Labor Day in a small Kansas town. (The show runs through Feb. 24 at the American Airlines Theater.)

Presented au naturel or in a tight shirt ripped at the chest by an admirer (leaving a strategic view of a nipple), it’s a sight that arouses dangerous longings in lonely bosoms. From the moment it makes its first entrance, this is a torso named Trouble.

Watch a preview, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via kenneth in the 212)

There's another clip on the NYT website.

Comments

1. Fun fact > He's Romanian!

Posted by: stingo | Jan 15, 2013 12:29:36 PM

2. Why am I not that impressed with the photo posted here and the one linked too?

Posted by: Bryce | Jan 15, 2013 12:37:47 PM

3. Very evocative set and lighting -- lovely.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Jan 15, 2013 12:38:28 PM

4. One of the things I love about William Inge's plays is that they can be revived with American actors of any race or ethnicity. That's often difficult with the work of other great American playwrights.

I'd love to see a revival of "Come Back Little Sheba" with the actress from "Precious"--the one with the name that no one on the planet pronouce.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 15, 2013 12:47:14 PM

5. I saw the show and completely agree with Brantley. The torso was a highlight (as was seeing Mare Winningham--who is great, and Ellen Burstyn) but the two stars, Stan and Maggie Grace, had absolutely no chemistry. The play's creaky, too, though for it's time it was pretty provocative.

Posted by: Rob | Jan 15, 2013 1:03:07 PM

6. Hawt!

Posted by: AJ | Jan 15, 2013 1:03:34 PM

7. I was unfamiliar with Sebastian Stan until I saw him play the part of a drug addicted son to the ex-president in "Political Animals" a short TV miniseries. I thought he was not only talented, but also quite handsome. He oozes sex appeal, not perhaps from every pore, but from quite a few.

Living in the sticks, there's no chance I'll see his stage performance. Any way, I find him handsome and talented and hope he does some more television.

Posted by: Bob R | Jan 15, 2013 1:33:55 PM

8. Having seen this play only last week, I can attest to the fact that he is truly beautiful to look at. It definately made up for the dated material and dull performances.

He's a new star to watch for me!

Posted by: Todd | Jan 15, 2013 1:56:17 PM

9. Wait, whaaaa?! Since when was he so studly? I think I liked him more when he had that more Mick Jagger-y thing going on Once Upon A Time.

Posted by: Brandon h | Jan 15, 2013 3:49:08 PM

10. If you think Christine`s story is flabbergasting..., 2 weeks ago my boy frends dad also got a cheque for $5067 workin thirteen hours a week from there apartment and there buddy's mom`s neighbour was doing this for 3 months and recieved a check for over $5067 part-time on their labtop. use the guide on this page....... BIT40.com

Posted by: Julia Brown | Jan 15, 2013 4:08:32 PM

11. I think he's just wretched and ruins every thing that he's in.

I remember going "Oooh...!" when I first saw him in The Covenant, but he was somehow able to stand out as the weakest actor in even that terrible piece of "cinema".

Posted by: Ginway | Jan 15, 2013 4:31:10 PM

12. Sebastian Stan has secretly become pretty damn talented. I've thought so since he was on the unfortunately cancelled, though excelled, "Kings."

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 15, 2013 4:57:41 PM

13. He looks fine but the review led to me expect more...

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 15, 2013 5:26:34 PM

14. Why does every comments section I've looked at today have the spam from Julia Brown advertising some phony scam to make money. Does no body edit this stuff?

Posted by: Sick of spam | Jan 15, 2013 5:40:19 PM

15. I would give anything to have him standing like that in front of me while I suck all the jizz out of his balls.

Posted by: Jase | Jan 16, 2013 1:32:42 AM

16. Good body, bad actor. But how many men in the sticks shave their pits?

Posted by: Mark | Jan 16, 2013 2:12:19 AM

17. I saw the show and completely agree with Brantley. The torso was a highlight (as was seeing Mare Winningham--who is great, and Ellen Burstyn) but the two stars, Stan and Maggie Grace, had absolutely no chemistry. The play's creaky, too, though for it's time it was pretty provocative.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2013/01/stan.html#ixzz2I7sMX8Bw

Posted by: cheap football jerseys | Jan 16, 2013 3:41:00 AM

18. I just hate getting erections at the theatre.

Posted by: beed | Jan 16, 2013 8:52:00 AM

19. One word: Yummy!

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 16, 2013 8:55:01 AM

20. Wow that is some awful and self-indulgent writing, it just screams "please think I'm intelligent and witty"

Posted by: testing | Jan 16, 2013 6:39:33 PM