Towleroad Talking Points: Is Manti Te'o Gay?

FE_DA_130117manti_teo425x283BY SAM GREISMAN

A look back at today's top stories

GAY NEWS

If you haven't been following the story about Notre Dame football player Manti Te'o and the girlfriend that doesn't exist, you really should be. News broke yesterday that Te'o's relationship, which had made headlines when his "girlfriend" had died just hours after his grandmother, was with a fake person. Now questions have arisen as to Te'o's involvement and some are wondering whether he was simply 'Catfished' or if this is was all a big way of hiding his true sexuality. Either way we can all agree it is bizarre.

Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti made a strong, disappointing stand today when he came out against gay marriage. On the flip side, French Elle supports the freedom to love. A gay man who was discharged under DADT has been chosen to be on stage with Obama during the inauguration as a citizen co-chair. And a horrifying story out of Louisiana where four gay men were attacked by a man during a showing of The Guilt Trip

ENTERTAINMENT

For you Tolkien fans, take a look at Elijah Wood's final moments as Frodo Baggins. Also Rachel Maddow took down the trolls from the NRA last night

Comments

1. Sam Your comments on Te'o are of course "catty" but also the very homophobia we condemn. His sexuality is his business not ours. You should be ashamed.

Posted by: Tim | Jan 17, 2013 11:19:28 PM

2. I guess I just don't care. No matter how it shakes out, it's stupid people doing stupid things.

Peace <3
    Jay

Posted by: Jay M. | Jan 17, 2013 11:49:29 PM

3. I like big dicks, got a problem?

Posted by: Manti Te'o | Jan 18, 2013 12:50:21 AM

4. And people made fun of daytime soaps. Te'o's story would have been laughed off the screen, yet the gullible media swallowed it whole. Ugh.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 18, 2013 2:07:06 AM

5. I certainly remember my fictitious girlfriend when I arrived at my first airbase in England as well as the Dear John letter she wrote after my first public incident with alcohol. The only subset of males who manufacture girlfriends are the gay ones. BTW, isn't he also connected to the ex-Washington Huskies quarterback who may have come out but certainly vanished from public?

Posted by: DC Arnold | Jan 18, 2013 3:12:37 AM

6. Mark, you are right. I can explain 35 years of Young and the Restless, but I can't explain this shiz. LOLs. If this was a cyber-beard, the only reason I can think of to kill her off, was to make follow up questions about the relationship taboo. Or, he just loves the drama. If he is gay, this really is a sign of a tortured soul.

Regarding Tim's comment, unfortunately, Manti Te'o catapulted this story into the public eye through his own actions. But I am not sure what makes Sam's comments homophobic?

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Jan 18, 2013 4:05:57 AM

7. Why is the gay media obsessed with Teo's sexuality? It reflect poorlt on it.

Posted by: jason | Jan 18, 2013 4:42:03 AM

8. Manti Te'o has a great career ahead of him in the corporate boardroom at Lehman.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jan 18, 2013 6:17:29 AM

9. I'll tell you this, though: on video he is one hot, pretty honey. I'd love to get me some Samoan.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jan 18, 2013 6:26:35 AM

10. Dan Savage.....Where are you? You need to to a special You Tube video of "It Gets Better"

Posted by: HereinDC | Jan 18, 2013 9:32:11 AM

11. It sounds like a charade, sadly this is a societal issue. If the haters would all die off like the dinosaurs that they are, or just give up, life would be so much easier for all of us! Too much pressure to conform!

Posted by: billmiller | Jan 18, 2013 10:09:45 AM

12. @Tim--Sam's job as far as I can tell is to aggregate the stories of the day into talking points with hyperlinks to the original stories. It provides a convenient service to readers and also is a common strategy to increase hits to websites. I'm not sure why you're saying his comments are homophobic. Te'o's actions can be logically explained by him being secretly gay, and until an investigation wraps up or he agrees to a more thorough interview the speculation is fair. As for why it's in the public eye, it's likely that the sympathy for the girlfriend helped garner Heisman support and may have even helped in his drafting had the truth not been discovered. Fraud by a major public figure is generally newsworthy.

Posted by: Stefan | Jan 18, 2013 10:26:17 AM

13. Or maybe his statements are true the way he made them. Gullible and naive people get catfished all the time. There is even a new series a about it on television. His coach, who knows him better than anyone including the reporters believes him. The producers of Catfish believe him. The producer had this happen to his own brother.
    I think until there is some sort of evidence that he was involved that is more than speculation in the media that we should all accept the fact that he is the victim here. Instead of clutching our pearls like all the sports writers and claiming we are the victims. Sports writers really are a bunch of old women.

Posted by: Liam | Jan 18, 2013 11:49:07 AM

14. I sure hope that Notre Dame football player Manti Te'o is NOT gay, because what an embarrassment he would be to the gay community. He just smacks of being a closet case. Fake girlfriend...??? How many times have you heard that one...???

Posted by: Bill Michael | Jan 18, 2013 11:51:17 AM

15. I believe Manti Teo' was involved in an elaborate hoax to cover-up his homosexuality. I wrote an interesting blog depicting why he might have concocted this bizarre story.

Posted by: Derrick Ellington | Jan 19, 2013 3:19:34 AM