Gay Marriage | Gay Wedding | Indiana | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Bloomington, Indiana Mayor and 13 Same-Sex Couples

Bloomington

In Bloomington, Indiana yesterday, where same-sex marriage is not legal, Mayor Mark Kruzan symbolically wed 13 couples at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater downtown in a protest for equality.

2_bloomington"History will not smile kindly upon those who advocated against equality," said Kruzan. "The reason I was so pleased to participate this evening is that I want you to know that there are many elected and public officials willing to and wanting to recognize these unions. It's time same-sex marriage was recognized by all. I would like you to meet some people who agree."

A group of elected and church officials then took the stage to witness the occasion.

Check out the amazing video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Don't miss our other recent Gay Wedding videos...
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Andrew and Rob [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Tony and Kevin [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Aaron and Danny [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Eli and Dave [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Robert and Nathanael [tlrd]

Comments

1. He has no clue how history will view him. The gay equality movement seems to believe it has "wed" history as well.

Posted by: GB | Feb 1, 2013 7:22:20 PM

2. really wonderful.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 1, 2013 8:48:06 PM

3. Three cheers for Bloomington!

Posted by: Diogenes Arktos | Feb 1, 2013 10:14:38 PM

4. It's amazing and thrilling how quickly things are changing in the world. I never thought I would live to see the day when gay couples would get married in such a public way and be so accepted.

Posted by: Howard | Feb 1, 2013 10:17:25 PM

5. Go Bloomington!!!!

Posted by: Reality | Feb 1, 2013 10:42:13 PM

6. This is a good sign. Although these marriages are not legal in Indiana, the fact that a mayor is simulating them shows how things have changed in that state. I always say that when states like Indiana and Missouri legalize gay marriage, either by public referendum or legislative action, the game is over. The tide can't be help back just by the South, Utah, and Idaho.

And why do same-sex couples look so good when the marry? You'd think I'd find it strange looking or embarassing considering the years I spend opposing SSM. It took me all of a few months to get used to seeing gay marriages and responding with the "awww, don't they look nice together" that most people reserve for straight marriages. The only problem now is how I'll ever get to attend a gay wedding in person since I have no gay friends or co-workers. Is anyone from Towleroad getting married and in need of wedding reception guests?

Posted by: Mary | Feb 1, 2013 10:48:38 PM

7. Beautiful, poignant, touching.... And pretty damn incredible! Thank you Indiana. This post made my weekend.
    Here's to hoping we see more positivity in this year much like the above.

Posted by: Silhugh | Feb 1, 2013 11:29:27 PM

8. Amazing! This in a state where the governor is a charter member of the Tea Party!

Posted by: Goodcarver | Feb 2, 2013 7:56:17 AM

9. I'm a Bloomingtonian, and am so proud to have been there and witnessed and been part of this important part of Bloomington's long and proud LGBT history. Bloomington,is the home of the Kinsey Sex Research Institute and was one of the first cities in the US - i think #7 - to pass a Gay Rights amendment to our Human Rights Ordinance way back on Dec. 5, 1975 (i was there for that too!). In wake of Anita Bryant, sometime after 1978, It was later struck down by the state as unconstitutional and then repassed in 1993. I am so proud of Mayor Kruzan and all the City and County Council members and interfaith clergy who took part. I LOVE my progressive city!!! :)

Posted by: Zambanini4Equality | Feb 2, 2013 8:03:10 AM

10. Attending IU as an undergrad was what helped me realize I was gay at 19 and accept it...in 1968! And the town just keeps leading the way! What a marvelous island of progressiveness in that state.

Posted by: Gregg | Feb 2, 2013 1:04:07 PM

11. And look at all the religious people turning out in support.

Maybe it's time to go back to church ?

Posted by: Buckie | Feb 2, 2013 11:17:54 PM

12. Mary, what do you mean you don't know any gay people, you've got lots of friends on Towleroad. Someone's sure to let you know when and where they are getting married and then you deserve to go - just for changing your mind and putting up with KIWI for one and two. Best wishes for being a faithful participant here and an always sane voice.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 3, 2013 12:23:13 AM

13. Uffda, thanks for your support. But I doubt anyone on Towleroad would invite me to their wedding, especially since so many people seem to think I'm an alias of Rick-Jason-Ratbastard, etc.... As for having friends on Towleroad, only you and Nullnaught seem to view me as a friend. Ernie seems to have some respect for me now, but I'm not sure he'd think of me as a friend, even an internet-friend. And what has happened to you and Null is that people are now accusing each of you of being me because you both defend me. Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 3, 2013 8:59:44 PM