Bullying | Gay Youth

Bullied Gay Teen Who Hanged Himself Dies

6a00d8341c730253ef017ee80715a1970d-800wi

Openly gay teen Jadin Bell, who hanged himself two weeks ago after being pushed to do so by bullies at his school and on the Internet, died this morning at a Portland hospital. You may recall that he was taken off life support last week. Bell was just 15 years old.

Comments

1. :I will add his name and face to my cell phone's wallpaper, along with that of Tyler Clementi. Very upsetting. This is one "honor roll" (of a sort) that I DON'T want to see any more young people's names added to. My condolences to his family.

Posted by: Rod Roddy lookalike | Feb 3, 2013 8:22:17 PM

2. That is just the saddest news.

We write here every day about the bigotry and the viciousness of the homophobes. We rail against injustice and discrimination and inequality; we continue to fight day after day.

Then we are brought to tears by the terrible news of reality, an innocent young life crushed before it could begin to grow strong.
    It's where the arrogance of not selling a wedding cake to gays ( because it's against the Bible )or despising them/us in the locker room, or bullying them/us in the play yard at school, meets up with the shocking aftermath of the heart breaking pain these kids are suffering.

Enough with the self righteous homophobes, in their own religious terminology there is no forgiveness for those who harm one of these, my little ones.
    My sorrow and sympathies go out to his loved ones.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 3, 2013 8:38:54 PM

3. I was brought to tears... by his hairdo.

Posted by: Crying. | Feb 3, 2013 9:29:26 PM

4. thank you, jack. i'm too sad to type anything more than this. you said it for me.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 3, 2013 9:36:13 PM

5. Unredeemable sadness. Just a horrible tragedy. Be at peace son, be at peace.

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 3, 2013 10:11:39 PM

6. RIP Jadin.

Posted by: RobWest | Feb 3, 2013 11:10:18 PM

7. Another one.

Out of thousands over the years.

Driven to suicide by the words of fundamentalist Christians, and their Satanic minions.

They claim that we're coming for their children. It's about time we started making it clear that they've been coming for ours all along, murdering them all along...

Posted by: AnonaGay | Feb 3, 2013 11:11:33 PM

8. This is just so very sad. His parents will never be the same and their lives will always hold an emptiness the rest of us will never feel. Is Jadin in a better place now? Who knows. What we all do know is that he is no longer here with us. It just doesn't get any sadder than that.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 4, 2013 12:32:06 AM

9. WHY are the bullies not held responsible?? they think they can get away with murder, shame on them,I hope they all have horrible lives.

Posted by: Jamie | Feb 4, 2013 1:12:36 AM

10. Would it be cruel to say I want a world in which it is straight boys who kill themselves over liking girls? Better them than us?

Do people understand that a single death of a single young man is too high a price to pay for stubborn opinion?

I had a cousin in Ireland that hung himself. He was 18. I wrote a condolence letter to his parents, aunt and uncle, simple, a few lines, no mention of gay anything, or questions of any kind, just simple sympathy from the heart. I was so shocked when it was treated by the family as a victory letter from the devil's winning side. How dare I write.

Not that they used those words, but I realized after the fact that the last thing they wanted was sympathy from a gay man even in the family. No wonder the kid killed himself, I have to admit I almost succeeded at killing myself when I was 18 as well.

I had been given Phenobarbital, 500 mgs in a quart jar of 500. I ate a lot of them one holiday weekend night in the service, I woke up late for work four days later. I don't know what happened over those days but I know this, if I have to die for being gay I am taking as many anti gay targets with me when I go as I can. I am not going to die from a suicide, I am going out fighting if I have to go at all. But better yet I am going to live and make life for haters a total hell in which they slash their wrists or hang themselves because they know they have lost.

I don't want anybody to die, I don't even want them to be unhappy. But what straight people do to gay people amounts to genocide and that has got to end yesterday. It is time for us to agree that persuasion has failed, politics is too slow, and justice has got to be done. It does not get better. Life is just as horrible now for a gay man as it was in 1973 when I was in high school. We are not doing young people a favor by telling them that if they can just get through to college they will be fine. It is media hype, if it were going to get better it would not have taken 40 years to find out I still cannot marry.

Posted by: Markus | Feb 4, 2013 1:28:28 AM

11. When I put my bullying video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOxsR89ixaU together, I had hoped it would bring about awareness, hopefully deterring youth from killing themselves. Everytime a I read about another of our youth dying by their own hands I cry. Bullying is not a harmless act!

Posted by: CB | Feb 4, 2013 2:40:19 AM

12. May G-d have mercy on the souls of the NEGLECTFUL PARENTS who spawned and so poorly raised the awful, bigoted, contemptible, hateful, heartless, sinful, vicious, ill-bred things who so thoughtlessly tortured this young man. These parents sould be ashamed for having so INEFFECTIVELY PARENTED the monsters who caused this tragedy. I am so sick and tired of hearing about stories like this. WAKE UP AMERICA! COMPASSION AND TOLERANCE BEGIN IN THE HOME, PEOPLE! If you, yourself, are a stupid, low-class, trash talking idiot, guess what your kids are going to grow up to be? If I were the parent of one of those filthy little devils, I'd die from pure shame.

Posted by: ARMY BOI | Feb 4, 2013 2:42:43 AM

13. Markus, I don't agree with you. Life IS a lot better than in 1973 and you CAN marry if you travel to a state that allows it. I've lived in what I believe is a golden age. I’ve gone from seeing outhouses to seeing astronauts in outer space and then even more. It's a great time to be alive, hearts and minds are changing as we have this discussion. As tough as it sounds, it was ultimately Jadin's decision to hang himself. He could have called someone, he could have waited another day, he could have run away to another town, but no, he took his own life and died on his own terms. I can talk about this because I spent many years in the depths of depression fantasizing about suicide and the only thing that saved me from pulling the trigger was wondering how awful it would be for the rest of my family to find me dead. I did what everyone who survives does, I convinced myself that "tomorrow is another day”, and that things will change, one way or another. I know I made the right decision. I wouldn’t dream of it now, but back then, it would’ve been my decision to live another day or to splatter my brains against the four winds. I am sorry that Jadin made his fateful decision, but I am even sorrier for his family and his friends who he kicked in the teeth by leaving behind. There was a fellow here in Louisville who took his own life a year ago this month and the most tragic message of condolence came from his buddy who said, “Dylan, you were my best friend in the whole world.”

Posted by: Bill Michael | Feb 4, 2013 2:49:10 AM

14. Is this really the kind of kid who would do this?

Surrounded by friends, supportive family, and people who liked him? Strong, outgoing, bright, and friendly? Not isolated or desperate?

Sorry this seems more like murder than bullying.

Posted by: omg | Feb 4, 2013 3:15:35 AM

15. GOD LOVES YOU.

Posted by: steve | Feb 4, 2013 10:31:23 AM

16. I'm Agnostic, but *bump* what Steve said.

It's very sad this poor young man's [kid] family and friends weren't enough for him. Who k nows what was going on in his head, being 15 is a crazy time for anyone, you're full of all kinds of emotions, desires, to find and define yourself. And I'll say it again because it's not said enough by TR posters who concentrate almost solely on bullies; was Jaden on psychiatric meds, and of so, what? There is NO QUESTION these drugs [dangerous substances, especially for young adults] that are given out to kids and young adults like skittles, are having major social consequences. Sometimes they help, often they make matters worse, including making kids and young adults MORE suicidal AND HOMICIDAL.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 4, 2013 11:00:13 AM

17. Hate take another one.

I really, really hope federal anti-bullying laws are put in place in the near future, with strong punishment towards schools that violate the policies. That's probably the only way this will ever change. It's time to hold schools accountable and it's time to go the extra mile to protect our LGBTQ youth. We can't hope and pray for straight teens and adults to simply not be hateful, because that clearly isn't going to work.

RIP, Jadin. You're an angel in the sky now. We will never forget.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 4, 2013 11:15:25 AM

18. May God take this beautiful young man's soul into Eternal peace.

How sad that once again homophobia and bullying based in homophobia has driven an innocent youth to suicide.

Condolences to his family and his friends.

This insanity must stop. Our LGBT youth are being murdered by homophobia, either directly or indirectly.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 4, 2013 11:42:47 AM

19. According to the story he hanged himself in a public place. "On Jan. 19, a Saturday, Bell went to Central Elementary School near the high school and hanged himself on a play structure."

That's a bit odd. How often does this happen in public? Was he was alone at the time this happened or do the bullies have "blood on their hands"?

Remember Matthew Sheppard? Another bright and outgoing young star. There is more to this story.

Posted by: omg | Feb 4, 2013 2:21:05 PM

20. @OMG,

People commit suicide including hang themselves in public places all the time. It's well known that some suicidal people will travel to a particular place, like NYC, and hang around for a few days before finally killing themselves at the GW bridge, Empire State Building, in front of a subway train, whatever.

The school playground must have had significance for him. Very sad.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 4, 2013 3:33:26 PM

21. This is all so very agonizing and sad.
    It seems so unnecessary. Why can't people leave gay kids alone. By now, everyone knows how damaging such bullying is to the
    psyche of a yong person struggling with his (or her) identity. It just makes me so unbelievably sad when these things happen.
    God help us as a society to be more accepting.
    --carlitos

Posted by: carlitos | Feb 4, 2013 5:16:38 PM

22. With 'bullying' gays and lesbians need to hear the truth that their sexual behaviors are harmful just as drug junkies need to hear truth that their behaviors are harmful. If gays and lesbians can't take hearing it anymore and commit suicide because others told them truth that gay/lesbian sexual behaviors are harmful, then again the 'disguised blessing' is that gay/lesbian behavior rates went down. Bringing gay/lesbian behaviors to 0 and abolishing sex change mutilations is what must be accomplished and if gays, lesbians and transexuals committing suicides accomplishes this goal, then again it's a disguised blessing. Big Island Chronicle's journalist fat Squaw Tiffany Edwards Hunt is a drug junky who smokes cocaine and marijuana. Big Island Chronicle's Tiffany Edwards Hunt farts in front of her kids and her 2 children have smelled Tiffany Edwards Hunt's turds. Big Island Chronicle's Tiffany Edwards Hunt is a fat Squaw which is why Tiffany Edwards Hunt smokes drugs and again, she farts in front of kids.

Posted by: funinsnows | Feb 4, 2013 5:33:25 PM

23. "...then again the 'disguised blessing' is that gay/lesbian behavior rates went down."

Andy, I guess Monday is your "take all opinions day". But why? This creature is a lunatic--an uneducated one. And the other lunatic that keeps posting "N.gger music" on the Beyounce threads why, oh why, are you allowing their postings to stay?

I wish some n-words would kick both of their f.ckin' flat pale azzes.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 4, 2013 5:42:16 PM

24. it's disheartening, Derrick, but take solace:

those people have to say what they're saying, in the anonymous way that they say it, because they have absolutely nothing of worth in their lives to care about.

it's ugly, it's hatful, it's cowardly. but that's the only way that ugly hateful cowards know how to be.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Feb 4, 2013 5:49:53 PM

25. LittleKiwi, I have told gays to their face that their sexual behaviors are toilet behaviors. Bringing gay/lesbian behaviors to 0 and abolishing sex change mutilations is what must be accomplished and if gays, lesbians and transexuals committing suicides accomplishes this goal, then again it's a disguised blessing. All the transexuals could kill themselves :)

Posted by: funinsnows | Feb 4, 2013 6:02:51 PM