Charlie Morgan | DOMA | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military

BigGayDeal.com

Cancer-Stricken Lesbian Soldier Charlie Morgan Succumbs To Disease

Chief Warrant Officer and LGBT activist Charlie Morgan died this morning after a long battle with breast cancer. She leaves behind her wife Karen and young daughter Casey Elena. Her wife will not receive the same survivors' military benefits that heterosexual couples are awarded.

OutServe-SLDN Executive Director Allyson Robinson has issued a statement which reads in part:

Morgan"Chief Warrant Officer Charlie Morgan, a courageous fighter for our country, for her family, and for the equality of all who wear the uniform of our nation, passed away early this morning. On behalf of her wife Karen and daughter Casey Elena, we thank all those who have supported Charlie so fervently since she proudly came out on national television on the day 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' was repealed, and who have stayed by her side through her brave fight with cancer. She made an indelible mark on everyone she met with her integrity, her positive outlook, and her unflinching commitment to righting the wrongs visited upon gay and lesbian military families. The fight for full LGBT equality in this country is forever changed because Charlie Morgan took up the cause."

Morgan had hoped to live to see DOMA overturned. In November, she told journalist Andrea Stone:

“I’m praying that they take it up soon,” Morgan told me in a phone interview from her home in New Durham, N.H. a few days before Thanksgiving. “It’s my motivation for staying alive. I really need to be alive when they actually do overturn DOMA, otherwise Karen is not guaranteed anything.”

An online memorial site has been setup here.

Last summer, Andy posted a touching video in which Morgan and her family talk about their brave fight for equality. Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. R.I.P. Soldier Morgan and thank you for your service.

Posted by: Marc C | Feb 10, 2013 3:00:45 PM

2. Dona eis requiem. Her passing is terribly sad; and we salute her service to her country and to her community. Another sadness is that, yet again, even in this hour, SLDN is inexplicably asserting that, because of DOMA, "her wife Karen is not entitled to survivor's benefits" which they know not to be true. Even if it's nothing but sloppy writing, they will again be responsible for this hurtful myth being perpetuated in ensuing report after report on Charlie's passing.

Posted by: Michael Bedwellchael | Feb 10, 2013 3:40:34 PM

3. RIP Charlie Morgan and I thank you so much for your service and your dedicated fight in bringing awareness to the horrific discriminatory law that is DOMA while being sick. You are a true hero and your death will not be in vain.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 10, 2013 4:04:58 PM

4. RIP Charlie, My wife and I have followed your amazing story.. I too pray DOMA gets repealed. To your wife and daughter, sending warm energy to get you thru this difficult time. Gail and Teka, Concord NH

Posted by: Gail Trabucco | Feb 10, 2013 4:11:11 PM

5. She fought to keep America free from terrorist and yet the anti-gay Christian terrorist in America who she protected from terrorist still do not give he and her family the equal and Civil Rights most Americans have today.

Posted by: Pog | Feb 10, 2013 4:31:40 PM

6. Obama needs to personally step in here and make sure this family receive the finanical benefits they are ENTITLED to !

Posted by: Icebloo | Feb 10, 2013 4:54:36 PM

7. RIP

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 10, 2013 10:59:46 PM

8. I read the title of this Article and I think you got it wrong. The title should be Cancer stricken soldier has died. I knew Charlie very well. I met her in 2010 right before we deployed. She taught the Equal Oppertunity class and I worked for her on the Deployment as a Equal Oppertunity Leader. Charlie wanted equal rights for her partner which is her business and her personal life. I always supported her because that what I felt was right. I respected Charlie because of who she was and not her sexual orientation. She was a Soldier's Soldier and a friend to all. Chief Warrant Officer Charlie Morgan will be truely missed.

Posted by: Captain Wallace | Feb 11, 2013 4:49:06 PM

9. Just to be clear Charlie wanted to move towards the day where race, color, sexual orientation and culture didnt matter in the the US Culture. Rest In Paradise Charlie... Your friend Captain Wallace

Posted by: Captain Wallace | Feb 11, 2013 4:53:49 PM

10. I respectfully disagree. While in a perfect world, we would all be measured by the merits of our character and the additional descriptors would be unnecessary, we do not live in a perfect world. In the words of George Takei, "It isn’t helpful to believe or announce that it 'doesn’t matter' whether someone else is gay. ... So long as there is prejudice and inequality, it will continue to matter." Being a lesbian or gay doesn't define who we are, but it is an integral part of our lives. To discount that part of us, especially in a time when we are still subject to the bigoted actions of others, is a disservice to ourselves.

Hopefully, one day we will be able to see the world Charlie envisioned, but we still have a lot of work to do.

Posted by: shibby | Feb 13, 2013 9:51:05 AM