Comic Books | News | NOM | Orson Scott Card

BigGayDeal.com

DC Comics Hires Homophobic Sci-Fi Author Orson Scott Card to Pen New Superman Series

Superman

DC Comics just announced a digital-first series called the Adventures of Superman this week, which is launching in April, Comics Alliance reports:

Among those contributing are ComicsAlliance favorites Jeff Parker (Bucko, Red She-Hulk) and Chris Samnee (Daredevil, The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom), who will collaborate on a story about Superman's first encounter with Lex Luthor. But before that, Adventures of Superman begins with a two-part story written by popular novelist Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) and drawn by the great Chris Sprouse and Karl Story

Unfortunately, for DC Comics, Card is a well-known homophobe and anti-gay activist who in 2008 called for the overthrow of government if Prop 8 fails.

If you want a good sample of his writings on gays, check out this column entitled Homosexual "Marriage" and Civilization.

You may recall that two years ago Card was under fire for penning a new printing of Hamlet. William Alexander wrote a review of it:

Here's the punch line: Old King Hamlet was an inadequate king because he was gay, an evil person because he was gay, and, ultimately, a demonic and ghostly father of lies who convinces young Hamlet to exact imaginary revenge on innocent people.

And finally, not sure what his status is at the moment, but last we checked he was a board member of the National Organization for Marriage.

Comments

1. Tell them how you feel!

DC Entertainment contact form:

Twitter:

@dccomics

Posted by: Eric | Feb 8, 2013 8:34:06 AM

2. Really, really appalling decision from DC. This Card guy thinks homosexuality should be illegal. They must have no shame if they're involving him in their project.

Time to raise hell.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 8, 2013 8:57:39 AM

3. When I was younger, I was a big fan of "Ender's Game" and the subsequent two books (Speaker for the Dead" and "Xenocide"). As I got older, though, that changed. I began to hear more about his politics, but I figured "well, his writing is good, and his political views don't bleed too far into his fiction."

I read "Ender's Shadow," which was ok (not great), and then I picked up "Shadow of the Hegemon."

Until then, I had never thrown a book across the room in anger and disgust before.

I CANNOT read Card any more, and I refuse to see the film version of "Ender's Game" when it opens this year. He's not getting one more cent of my money.

And don't even get me started on how "Ender's Game" is a veiled apologia for Hitler.

Posted by: Rich F. | Feb 8, 2013 8:58:50 AM

4. Yeah i like just read Enders game, it was ok. I TOTALLY SEE THE HITLER THING. CREEPY.

Also he seemed obsessed with packing nude boys into emotional situations...

Posted by: Fensox | Feb 8, 2013 9:01:17 AM

5. He has a case of gay face and has creeper written all over him. How long before it's reveled that he tried to get laid in an airport bathroom?

Posted by: Chris | Feb 8, 2013 9:35:22 AM

6. In the past, when Towleroad reported on Marvel or DC having gay characters, I posted comments that I was involved in the comics industry and reported that there is a lot of homophobia (and sexism) behind the scenes. So many of you guys didn't want to believe it was true, but I kept pointing out the following:

1. Go into any comic book store, open up every single new comic on the shelf and count how many female names you see listed in the credits as penciller, inker or writer.

2. Count how many OPENLY gay male pencillers or inkers are CURRENTLY working on any of those comics on the shelves. I'm not talking about writers, I'm talking about pencillers or inkers.

3. Never forget the infamous Hulk story where his human alter ego is almost attacked by two male predators at a YMCA shower.

4. Never forget that a certain Marvel editor refused to allow Northstar or any other character to be gay at Marvel.

5. I personally know of gay people in the comics industry who are closeted because they know they'll lose out on jobs if they come out. One guy called his boyfriend his fiancee instead of fiance to throw people off.

6. I heard an EXTREMELY well-known DC artist use the f word (gay slur) at a convention - didn't care who heard it.

I've got so many of these stories.

Posted by: Told Ya! | Feb 8, 2013 9:42:05 AM

7. he's working with Chris Sprouse, and I've heard rumours he's gay. how does that work if true?

Posted by: Ben | Feb 8, 2013 9:53:50 AM

8. I remember reading the first 3 or so books in the Alvin Maker series while I was in college and really liking them. It was only much later that I heard about his views on things and much of a diehard Mormon he was (his great great grandfather was Brigham Young).

Posted by: Matt | Feb 8, 2013 10:47:09 AM

9. I have never given a single cent to Card, and I never will. I refuse to buy any comic written by him, and I am definitely not going to see the Ender's Game movie.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Feb 8, 2013 10:54:14 AM

10. Unlike some of the posts here, I loved each and every one of Orson Scott Card's books; owned almost all of them and re-read them every other year. And it broke my heart a little to throw them all out when Card revealed himself to be such a vile human being. Until he issues a SINCERE apology for all of this bile and hatred, his works will never be accepted or read in my home. Ever. And I'm okay with that.

Posted by: donny with a "D" | Feb 8, 2013 11:13:21 AM

11. Usually whenever I hear about someone having made a homophobic comment, like a football player or whatever, I'm fairly moderate in my response. Yeah, letters should be written and hopefully that person should can be reached and brought around. But I almost never say "That person ought to be fired!" except in special circumstances.

Orson Scott Card is a vile POS who should never be hired by ANYONE! He has gone so far over the top with his homophobic rants that he's irredeemable. I hope there will be organized protests and boycotts of the Ender's Game movie.

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 8, 2013 11:26:33 AM

12. So conflicted since I read Ender's Game and had checked out some other of that series from the library in audiobook. What's so odd is that in the older books Ender essentially falls in love with an AI computer program who happens to speak to him with a female voice. When the AI is, in fact, genderless. Still, the hate he personally stands for is reprehensible.

Posted by: Joseph L. | Feb 8, 2013 11:45:46 AM

13. As a longtime comics fan, I've never forgiven Marvel Comics for hiring this bigot.

Now, DC has done the same thing. DC also hired (and fired) Rob Liefeld who is also a notorious homophobe.... Shame on both companies for not selecting a better writer!

He's an evil little man, who has a deepseated hatred of us. I also hope the bigot's movie is also a failure.

Posted by: TonyJazz | Feb 8, 2013 11:50:03 AM

14. To be fair to DC, the company has employed Gail Simone, Judd Winick, and Greg Rucka --writers who are friends of our community. Also, Batwoman is still doing well last time I looked.

On the other hand, the company seriously pissed off Rucka and nearly got away with 86-ing Simone from Batgirl.

Hiring avowed enemy of our community Card pushes DC firmly into the Bad Company column.

Posted by: Peter | Feb 8, 2013 12:03:11 PM

15. I am a longtime comic collector and a bit of a dc completest.

this is one comic I will definitely not be buying.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 8, 2013 12:54:39 PM

16. Tweeted.

Also, Emerald City ComicCon is coming up the first weekend in March in Seattle. I'm going. I'll spend some time @ the DC Booth and with any creators I can find. SO disappointing.

Posted by: Grant | Feb 8, 2013 12:56:04 PM

17. Tweeted.

Posted by: Grant | Feb 8, 2013 12:56:05 PM

18. I will now be boycotting DC comics for employing someone who's moneywill go directly to endosring hate and discrimination for LGBT.

Shame on DC Comics!

Posted by: Cots | Feb 8, 2013 1:01:45 PM

19. In the current "Death of the Family" crossover in the Batman titles DC is also falling back on the homophobic "effeminate Joker has a crush on Batman" version of that character that's left over from Frank Miller's various bigotries. That's particularly a shame, since Scott Snyder, the talented current writer of the main Batman title recently wrote an issue that dealt very well with a storyline about a recurring ally of Batman protecting her gay brother from anti-gay bullying.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Feb 8, 2013 2:01:18 PM

20. Not surprised there is homophobia behind the scenes, Told Ya. There is homophobia in every industry in America. In the entire comic/gaming/etc. industry, people think that because these guys look book smart and are seen as nerdy that they will automatically be more intelligent regarding gay issues. I definitely have seen and heard of quite a bit of homophobia from these guys. I'm more upset at the complete callousness in making a decision like this than anything else. Very disappointing.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 8, 2013 2:18:15 PM

21. This news is disappointing. In the case of Superman I always felt the folks from Krypton, Superman's home world, who were thousands of years ahead of earth, would have surely been well beyond being homophobic in their society. It's a shame mere writers here on earth are still in the dark ages on this issue. This move by DC really in my view puts a damper on progressive syfy thinking.

Posted by: HexonT3 | Feb 8, 2013 3:14:13 PM

22. The first time i heard of Card being an homophobe was very dissapointing, because the message of Ender's game was the respect of the difference. Obviously he doesn't believe in that at all

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 8, 2013 4:26:29 PM

23. I had occasion to meet Scott Card several times back in the eighties. I even had dinner with him once with some friends shortly after Ender’s Game was released. Something changed in him in the late eighties and he went through a bizarre mental transformation. Prior to this change, during the mid to late eighties, he actually traveled around the country giving what he called Secular Humanist Revival Meetings at science fiction conventions. I still have an audio recording of one of them. In those revival meetings he forcefully denounced the attempts of religious leaders to lay their hands upon the government. He demanded that we protect those who believed in science and evolution from the religious right. He argued passionately for a secular state where we could all be free to worship or not worship as we saw fit. He argued forcefully that we must all stand up to protect individuals who were being demonized or bullied by the religious right.

Then, almost overnight, he became that same religious bully that he had spent years condemning. I don’t know if his church leadership got to him in some way, or if he had an unrecognized stroke that destroyed his empathy (he did have an acknowledged stroke many years later), or if something else occurred. However, he suddenly transformed from a passionate defender of all who were persecuted into someone who was advocating the persecution.

Some of the things that he has penned about homosexuals have been reprehensible. NOM was exactly the kind of group that Scott Card spent years condemning and ridiculing, then he joined it as a board member.

Scott was always loud and opinionated, but he was also a great and engaging conversationalist. Now, he is a perfect example of everything he used to condemn. When I learned of his transformation, I got rid of the books that he had signed for me and I haven’t purchased anything else of his in many years. I’d love to see the Ender’s Game movie, but I am unwilling to support anything that might send any more money his way.

Posted by: He Changed | Feb 8, 2013 9:23:37 PM

24. @HexonT3: I thought the Superman story was about a guy who arrives from the heavens as a baby in a manger, I mean a rocket, with unearthly abilities. Having been raised here, it is a struggle to not lose all the customs from the old country, I mean the old planet.

Whatever. At least this Card guy is just being paid to draw, and hopefully not think too much.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 8, 2013 9:24:53 PM

25. Orson Scott Card is a diseased excuse for a human being, but trying to silence him is not the way to handle this. Be loud and specific about his attitudes and commentaries about gay men and women; point him out for the proto-fascist he is; put DC comics on notice any attempts by Card to work his homophobia into his writing (like was done with "300") will be met with loud protestations. The only way to fight cockroaches is to see them, not make them run and hide.

Posted by: Kyle M. Sullivan | Feb 9, 2013 12:37:21 AM