DC Comics Hires Homophobic Sci-Fi Author Orson Scott Card to Pen New Superman Series

Superman

DC Comics just announced a digital-first series called the Adventures of Superman this week, which is launching in April, Comics Alliance reports:

Among those contributing are ComicsAlliance favorites Jeff Parker (Bucko, Red She-Hulk) and Chris Samnee (Daredevil, The Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom), who will collaborate on a story about Superman's first encounter with Lex Luthor. But before that, Adventures of Superman begins with a two-part story written by popular novelist Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) and drawn by the great Chris Sprouse and Karl Story

Unfortunately, for DC Comics, Card is a well-known homophobe and anti-gay activist who in 2008 called for the overthrow of government if Prop 8 fails.

If you want a good sample of his writings on gays, check out this column entitled Homosexual "Marriage" and Civilization.

You may recall that two years ago Card was under fire for penning a new printing of Hamlet. William Alexander wrote a review of it:

Here's the punch line: Old King Hamlet was an inadequate king because he was gay, an evil person because he was gay, and, ultimately, a demonic and ghostly father of lies who convinces young Hamlet to exact imaginary revenge on innocent people.

And finally, not sure what his status is at the moment, but last we checked he was a board member of the National Organization for Marriage.

Comments

1. Francis says

Really, really appalling decision from DC. This Card guy thinks homosexuality should be illegal. They must have no shame if they’re involving him in their project.

Time to raise hell.

2. Rich F. says

When I was younger, I was a big fan of “Ender’s Game” and the subsequent two books (Speaker for the Dead” and “Xenocide”). As I got older, though, that changed. I began to hear more about his politics, but I figured “well, his writing is good, and his political views don’t bleed too far into his fiction.”

I read “Ender’s Shadow,” which was ok (not great), and then I picked up “Shadow of the Hegemon.”

Until then, I had never thrown a book across the room in anger and disgust before.

I CANNOT read Card any more, and I refuse to see the film version of “Ender’s Game” when it opens this year. He’s not getting one more cent of my money.

And don’t even get me started on how “Ender’s Game” is a veiled apologia for Hitler.

3. Fensox says

Yeah i like just read Enders game, it was ok. I TOTALLY SEE THE HITLER THING. CREEPY.

Also he seemed obsessed with packing nude boys into emotional situations…

4. Chris says

He has a case of gay face and has creeper written all over him. How long before it’s reveled that he tried to get laid in an airport bathroom?

5. says

In the past, when Towleroad reported on Marvel or DC having gay characters, I posted comments that I was involved in the comics industry and reported that there is a lot of homophobia (and sexism) behind the scenes. So many of you guys didn’t want to believe it was true, but I kept pointing out the following:

1. Go into any comic book store, open up every single new comic on the shelf and count how many female names you see listed in the credits as penciller, inker or writer.

2. Count how many OPENLY gay male pencillers or inkers are CURRENTLY working on any of those comics on the shelves. I’m not talking about writers, I’m talking about pencillers or inkers.

3. Never forget the infamous Hulk story where his human alter ego is almost attacked by two male predators at a YMCA shower.

4. Never forget that a certain Marvel editor refused to allow Northstar or any other character to be gay at Marvel.

5. I personally know of gay people in the comics industry who are closeted because they know they’ll lose out on jobs if they come out. One guy called his boyfriend his fiancee instead of fiance to throw people off.

6. I heard an EXTREMELY well-known DC artist use the f word (gay slur) at a convention – didn’t care who heard it.

I’ve got so many of these stories.

6. Ben says

he’s working with Chris Sprouse, and I’ve heard rumours he’s gay. how does that work if true?

7. Matt says

I remember reading the first 3 or so books in the Alvin Maker series while I was in college and really liking them. It was only much later that I heard about his views on things and much of a diehard Mormon he was (his great great grandfather was Brigham Young).

8. says

I have never given a single cent to Card, and I never will. I refuse to buy any comic written by him, and I am definitely not going to see the Ender’s Game movie.

9. donny with a "D" says

Unlike some of the posts here, I loved each and every one of Orson Scott Card’s books; owned almost all of them and re-read them every other year. And it broke my heart a little to throw them all out when Card revealed himself to be such a vile human being. Until he issues a SINCERE apology for all of this bile and hatred, his works will never be accepted or read in my home. Ever. And I’m okay with that.

10. Caliban says

Usually whenever I hear about someone having made a homophobic comment, like a football player or whatever, I’m fairly moderate in my response. Yeah, letters should be written and hopefully that person should can be reached and brought around. But I almost never say “That person ought to be fired!” except in special circumstances.

Orson Scott Card is a vile POS who should never be hired by ANYONE! He has gone so far over the top with his homophobic rants that he’s irredeemable. I hope there will be organized protests and boycotts of the Ender’s Game movie.

11. Joseph L. says

So conflicted since I read Ender’s Game and had checked out some other of that series from the library in audiobook. What’s so odd is that in the older books Ender essentially falls in love with an AI computer program who happens to speak to him with a female voice. When the AI is, in fact, genderless. Still, the hate he personally stands for is reprehensible.

12. TonyJazz says

As a longtime comics fan, I’ve never forgiven Marvel Comics for hiring this bigot.

Now, DC has done the same thing. DC also hired (and fired) Rob Liefeld who is also a notorious homophobe…. Shame on both companies for not selecting a better writer!

He’s an evil little man, who has a deepseated hatred of us. I also hope the bigot’s movie is also a failure.

13. Peter says

To be fair to DC, the company has employed Gail Simone, Judd Winick, and Greg Rucka –writers who are friends of our community. Also, Batwoman is still doing well last time I looked.

On the other hand, the company seriously pissed off Rucka and nearly got away with 86-ing Simone from Batgirl.

Hiring avowed enemy of our community Card pushes DC firmly into the Bad Company column.

14. andrew says

I am a longtime comic collector and a bit of a dc completest.

this is one comic I will definitely not be buying.

15. Grant says

Tweeted.

Also, Emerald City ComicCon is coming up the first weekend in March in Seattle. I’m going. I’ll spend some time @ the DC Booth and with any creators I can find. SO disappointing.

16. Grant says

Tweeted.

17. says

I will now be boycotting DC comics for employing someone who’s moneywill go directly to endosring hate and discrimination for LGBT.

Shame on DC Comics!

18. bobbyjoe says

In the current “Death of the Family” crossover in the Batman titles DC is also falling back on the homophobic “effeminate Joker has a crush on Batman” version of that character that’s left over from Frank Miller’s various bigotries. That’s particularly a shame, since Scott Snyder, the talented current writer of the main Batman title recently wrote an issue that dealt very well with a storyline about a recurring ally of Batman protecting her gay brother from anti-gay bullying.

19. Francis says

Not surprised there is homophobia behind the scenes, Told Ya. There is homophobia in every industry in America. In the entire comic/gaming/etc. industry, people think that because these guys look book smart and are seen as nerdy that they will automatically be more intelligent regarding gay issues. I definitely have seen and heard of quite a bit of homophobia from these guys. I’m more upset at the complete callousness in making a decision like this than anything else. Very disappointing.

20. HexonT3 says

This news is disappointing. In the case of Superman I always felt the folks from Krypton, Superman’s home world, who were thousands of years ahead of earth, would have surely been well beyond being homophobic in their society. It’s a shame mere writers here on earth are still in the dark ages on this issue. This move by DC really in my view puts a damper on progressive syfy thinking.

21. jjose712 says

The first time i heard of Card being an homophobe was very dissapointing, because the message of Ender’s game was the respect of the difference. Obviously he doesn’t believe in that at all

22. He Changed says

I had occasion to meet Scott Card several times back in the eighties. I even had dinner with him once with some friends shortly after Ender’s Game was released. Something changed in him in the late eighties and he went through a bizarre mental transformation. Prior to this change, during the mid to late eighties, he actually traveled around the country giving what he called Secular Humanist Revival Meetings at science fiction conventions. I still have an audio recording of one of them. In those revival meetings he forcefully denounced the attempts of religious leaders to lay their hands upon the government. He demanded that we protect those who believed in science and evolution from the religious right. He argued passionately for a secular state where we could all be free to worship or not worship as we saw fit. He argued forcefully that we must all stand up to protect individuals who were being demonized or bullied by the religious right.

Then, almost overnight, he became that same religious bully that he had spent years condemning. I don’t know if his church leadership got to him in some way, or if he had an unrecognized stroke that destroyed his empathy (he did have an acknowledged stroke many years later), or if something else occurred. However, he suddenly transformed from a passionate defender of all who were persecuted into someone who was advocating the persecution.

Some of the things that he has penned about homosexuals have been reprehensible. NOM was exactly the kind of group that Scott Card spent years condemning and ridiculing, then he joined it as a board member.

Scott was always loud and opinionated, but he was also a great and engaging conversationalist. Now, he is a perfect example of everything he used to condemn. When I learned of his transformation, I got rid of the books that he had signed for me and I haven’t purchased anything else of his in many years. I’d love to see the Ender’s Game movie, but I am unwilling to support anything that might send any more money his way.

23. Bill says

@HexonT3: I thought the Superman story was about a guy who arrives from the heavens as a baby in a manger, I mean a rocket, with unearthly abilities. Having been raised here, it is a struggle to not lose all the customs from the old country, I mean the old planet.

Whatever. At least this Card guy is just being paid to draw, and hopefully not think too much.

24. Kyle M. Sullivan says

Orson Scott Card is a diseased excuse for a human being, but trying to silence him is not the way to handle this. Be loud and specific about his attitudes and commentaries about gay men and women; point him out for the proto-fascist he is; put DC comics on notice any attempts by Card to work his homophobia into his writing (like was done with “300”) will be met with loud protestations. The only way to fight cockroaches is to see them, not make them run and hide.

25. Guy says

Card is a Mormon with huge contradictions in his thinking. I well remember a conversation we had online during one of his appearances on AOL.

I asked him why he chose to put all those young teenagers together in Ender’s Game and explicitly tell the reader that they were nude. Why wasn’t there any sexual tension? His reply was that teenagers are too young to think of sex.

That bizarre prejudice and lack of clear thinking on the part of a writer stopped any enjoyment I had gotten from the book.

26. The_Nephilim says

I mean obviously I am gay and naturally don’t like homophobes or anti-gay bigots, however what does Orson Scott Card’s homophobia or anti-gay bigotry have to do with a Superman comic? Superman isn’t gay and non of the main characters in Superman are gay, so who cares.

27. Bill says

@Guy: Card actually said that? Has he ever been in a boys locker room while in 8th or 9th grade? Maybe he really should do the Superman comics – he must know what it is like to be from another planet.

28. says

On Card: For those of you who think you can’t read him any more because of his politics, take another look: his books have gotten really, really bad, to the point of being unreadable. They’re talky, self-indulgent, empty and downright boring. Interestingly enough, in an early work, “Songbird,” he penned a gay relationship quite sympathetically, although it ended tragically. But those who perpetrated the tragedy got their just deserts, quite brutally.

Re: DC: I was encouraged when they started “Earth 2″ with a a gay Green Lantern — and then they killed off his boyfriend at the end of the first issue and haven’t picked it up again (it’s on issue 8, and the story’s gone down the toilet as well). Marjorie Liu, on the other hand, is writing the new Astonishing X-Men story line for Marvel — the one in which Northstar marries his boyfriend — and is using their relationship to generate a lot of the plot. Marvel also has to its credit sympathetically portrayed gay relationships in X-Factor and Young Avengers, both of which are handled very well. (Shatterstar trying to explain his feelings to Rictor, whom he loves, is one of the most appealing scenes I’ve run across.) Marvel has an ongoing theme of tolerance, which is kind of amusing in these series: it’s OK to be gay, it’s not OK to be a mutant.

So I’m not quite persuaded about claims of general homophobia in the industry — while it may be there, in Marvel at least it doesn’t appear in print. DC, not so much — or maybe they just can’t deal with the subject maturely.

As for Card penning Superman — I think it’s going to be a hoot, given that his writing has degenerated so badly. He may be the one who finally kills Superman off for good. (I had occasion to review a collection of short plays developed from some of his stories. In each instance, the play was better.)

29. Paskaan says

While I am a firm supporter of rights for homosexuals, I do think it is utterly ridiculous to bias your opinion on the works of someone solely because that person is against something you believe in. If you did this for everything, you wouldn’t like anything at all.
    I’ll continue to read his works, whilst eating Chick-fil-A. :)

That’s my piece.

30. Elliott says

Is Ender’s Game really an apology for hitler/genocide? Isn’t it basically about how conflict is often based off of radical misunderstandings and how children are brainwashed into carrying out terrible atrocity without being away of what they’re doing? Perhaps an entirely too subtle indictment of the military-industrial-complex. I get that. But an apology for genocide? I think there’s a lot of good stuff in those books, which made it all the more tragic when I found out about the vile beliefs he consistently puts forward. : (

31. Sean Freeman says

In my opinion, he has the right to defend his (and his church’s) definition of marriage. Is that opinion popular? Obviously not. But to wrinkle your nose and whine because someone has an opposing viewpoint is childish. It’s like if I stopped watching Christopher Nolan’s movies if I found out he was gay. Just silly… Mark my words, superman is going to live past Orson Scott Card, so if he does in fact infect it with a perspective that you dislike, just wait, and another reincarnation of the superhero will come around. But for now, give it a shot – who knows? Maybe he will do the series justice, even though he has an unpopular opinion. Just my 2 cents…

32. Tarc says

Card is a heinous human being, and there will be no DC comics dollars from me as log as he’s with DC.

33. Tarc says

Actually, marvel is quite gay positive, and features quite a few gay superheroes and superhero couples (Wiccan and Hulkling, Rictor and Shatterstar, Northstar and his human partner, etc.)

34. Alex says

Whatever his politics, when I went to one of his writing seminars he saw that I was not eating at lunch (didn’t have the money for it) and gave me 20 bucks for food, saying no guest of his would go hungry. I see more virile hate against him on places like this then I have ever seen from him in the things he has written. He may be misguided and sometimes hypocritical, but he is not malicious and dripping venom like many here.

35. 8mph Ansible says

I do so “love” how some people feel that Orson just has an opinion and fail at seeing the whole, anti-gay activist portion of his activities.

Seriously, he’s a supporter of organizations and laws that actively persecutes homosexuals. But most of you see no problems with this? Or that some of the money he makes from readers likely have/will go into funds or foundations that want to continue treating homosexuals as second class citizens?

None of that is a problem? But what do I know, he’s a misunderstood person because some people are picking on the poor, misunderstood man.

36. Matt Kuksa says

So what? Unless he’s planning to use this series to spread his viewpoint of homosexuality, then I couldn’t care less. And even if he did, again, so what? The beauty here is that he has a right to his stance and to perpetuate it, and other people have a right to not buy into it or put money is his pocket. You can’t silence every homophobe, or non-supporter of gay equality. This is a big world. Accept that not everyone is going to be a friend or an ally.

37. Christopher King says

I don’t support Orson Scott Card’s personal views, but as long as it doesn’t affect his work I don’t see it being an issue.
    A person has to be entitled to their opinions. Right or wrong they have just as much right to their views as we do ours

38. says

Christopher King: And we have the right to react to their expression of those views as we deem appropriate. It’s called “the free marketplace of ideas.”

39. M. G. Mac says

It’s unfortunate that one side gets to toss the names around. It’s okay to call someone homophobe or bigot (or worse, as I have seen here) for having religious beliefs regarding homesexuality? At one point does that make YOU a bigot or religiophobe?