Comic Books | DOMA | News | Northstar | X-Men

BigGayDeal.com

Marvel's 'Astonishing X-Men' Married Gay Characters Northstar and Kyle Face Deportation Issues Caused by DOMA

Xmen1

We've been covering Marvel's Astonishing X-Men and its examination of the marriage between Canadian Northstar to American Kyle Jinadu since late last year.

In its recent issue number 59, written by Marjorie Liu, and pencilled by Gabriel Hernandez Walta, the narrative continues to unfold about the Northstar, a Canadian, trying to stay in his husband's homeland, in a city they both call home.

These are problems imposed on them by the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

Xmen2

Comments

1. well yeah, there is a bit of DOMA doodoo there, but it is also alluded that Northstar doesn't even have a passport...and I suspect that a hero of his calibre would need only make a quick call to some Avengery type and he'd be green carded pretty quickly....

Posted by: Stephen | Feb 28, 2013 12:53:36 PM

2. I'm happy to see some attention being given to the egregious injustice of allowing straight married couples residence privileges whereas gay married couples are denied the same privileges.....it is a dark stain on US justice.

Those of us in bi-national relationships (me) don't even seem to get a mention in discussions on inter-US states recognition of marriages.

There is an international dimension to the bigoted DOMA; but even the straights don't give a $hit, they all get residence for their loved one.
    Once again it's phuck the gays.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 28, 2013 12:55:15 PM

3. Marjorie Liu is doing an amazing job with this relationship -- it's generating a lot of the plot, not only the small-focus Kyle/Northstar story line, but the larger story arc as well. She gets 5 stars.

And then there's DC and the "gay Green Lantern. . . ."

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 28, 2013 1:00:05 PM

4. This was actually one of the best issues of the run. This artist is fantastic.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 28, 2013 1:09:36 PM

5. Aside from all my seriousness, the art work is fantastic.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 28, 2013 1:21:08 PM

6. "And then there's DC and the "gay Green Lantern. . . ."

And then there's DC and Orson Scott Card.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Feb 28, 2013 1:33:28 PM

7. This story line really hits home. Kudos to the artist. My life partner is Canadian and I am an American. We "play by the rules" and do not cut any corners. Yet each time we come into the U.S. from Canada we are treated like al Quaeda. But when we go to Canada from the U.S. we are always welcomed graciously. DOMA must go. We are weary of being treated like second-class citizens.

Posted by: Southernmost | Feb 28, 2013 2:35:04 PM

8. I'm sending an email today to DC and showing them this and comparing it to their signing of Orson Scott Card. This is really great and paints the picture of the realities regarding the struggles that same-sex bi-national couples face, as a result of DOMA. Hats off to Marvel and Marjorie Liu.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 28, 2013 2:51:47 PM

9. @ SOUTHERMOST :
    That's a "copy that " here. Always abide by the rules or we're phucked.

But I've never had any disrespect from US Immigration......just some questions......about how I manage to fly over so regularly.
    They are curious, not disrespectful.
    But I am biased to love Americans....one in particular !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 28, 2013 2:57:16 PM

10. "I'm not sure I want to BE an American?" Well, I suppose the line might play in the context of a relationship...but I can't imagine a Canadian wanting to become an USer (we're already Americans, hello!?) except for money...plenty willing to sell out for that I guess. But even the docs tend to come back, albeit with less press.

Posted by: JoelD | Feb 28, 2013 4:02:13 PM

11. Marjorie Liu is doing a terrific job.

For the record, it should be noted that Marvel has also employed Orson Scott Card in the past, on Iron Man. And DC's Batwoman is in the same league as Astonishing X-Men in dealing effectively with GLBT representation. DC just needs to join Marvel in no longer employing Orson Scott Card.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Feb 28, 2013 4:31:37 PM

12. Getting a green card for Jean-Paul might be difficult, especially since he was a member of a Quebec separatist terrorist cell before he joined Alpha Flight.

Posted by: Firestorm | Feb 28, 2013 5:05:08 PM

13. As a side-note, they also captured the experience of what it feels like to be a Canadian living in the United States.

Posted by: Andrew | Feb 28, 2013 9:25:46 PM

14. It's amazing to see DC taking on issues like this. There are thousands of bi-national same sex couples not only facing this same situation, but even more like my Husband and myself, who live in "DOMA Exile" outside the United States. My husband always dreads the inevitable round of inane questions he has to endure everytime we travel back to the US. It's gotten to the point where I don't go through the US Citizen line at custons anymore, I stand in the non-citizen line with him and then stand with him holding my US passport and glare at the Homland Security Troll as he asks Eric his questions.

Posted by: daveUSericUK | Mar 1, 2013 8:56:54 AM