Comic Books | News | Orson Scott Card | Superheroes

BigGayDeal.com

Comic Store Owner Explains His Decision to Not Carry DC Comics 'Superman' Written by Orson Scott Card: VIDEO

Comic

This morning I reported that Richard Neal at Dallas-based Zeus Comics and Collectibles decided not to carry the new DC Comics series 'Adventures of Superman' because of the involvement of uber-homophobe writer Orson Scott Card.

Doug Magditch at NightcapTV interviewed Neal about his decision.

Said Neal: “Superman stands for broader ideals, including inclusion of gays and lesbians and the rest of the world. Why would you hire a writer that is such a bigot? Why is it okay to be a bigot today?”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Neal noted that Card often inserts his political views into his comics.

Jeremy Hooper points out a post from artist Ben Bates and writer Ryan Sohmer imagining what Card's vision for Superman might be like:

Doom

Comments

1. I like Mr. Neal very much.

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 13, 2013 3:21:01 PM

2. Richard's a great guy. I can go years between trips to Zeus to buy some comics, and he always remembers my name.

Posted by: Sully | Feb 13, 2013 3:42:13 PM

3. He's made the best case I've heard for boycotting DC over this decision.

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 13, 2013 5:32:57 PM

4. Hello Biceps!!!! You wear that Captain America shirt, Mr. Comic Book Store Owner Guy.

Posted by: FFS | Feb 14, 2013 2:11:44 AM

5. Thank you sir. Standing up for equality is standing up for humanity!

Posted by: J.J | Feb 14, 2013 7:50:30 AM

6. His store and he can carry and sell whatever he chooses.

I respect him greatly for standing up for others, and what he believes in, and choosing compassion over profit.

Posted by: Greg Cali | Feb 14, 2013 7:52:02 AM

7. Good for him!

Bigots are literally refusing us service in many establishments. Us not choosing to endorse their brand is the least we could do. I think DC comics is better than employing a passionate and proud anti gay bigot. They should be anyways.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Feb 14, 2013 7:54:39 AM

8. I've done something similar for an LGBT related cause. At the time, you wrestle with it, but once you stand up for what you believe in (equality) it feels so rewarding.

Posted by: Chris R. | Feb 14, 2013 8:52:09 AM