Bullying | News | Oscar Pistorius

Oscar Pistorius Dumped from 'It Gets Better' Project

South Africa is set to launch a branch of the 'It Gets Better' project tomorrow, and Olympic sprinter Oscar Pistorius had recorded a video for the campaign.

PistoriusThat will no longer be part of it, given the murder charges he is facing:

In his video, which will no longer be included in the campaign, Pistorius said: "Just remember that you're special. You don't have to worry. You don't have to change. Take a deep breath and remember 'It will get better'."

Richard Freedman, the director of the SA Holocaust and Genocide Foundation, said the public was invited to film their own anti-homophobia videos at the Cape Town Holocaust Centre on March 14 and 17.

Athletics Gauteng North general manager Walter Vilakazi said there had been no objections to Pistorius being awarded the track and field male athlete of the year title on Saturday night. H e said the period taken into account was January to December 2012.

"We have a [committee] that recommends athletes who have excelled," he said. "This all happened before the unfortunate situation. If we do withdraw the award, what reasons do we use?"

Pistorius appeared in court today and denied murdering his girlfriend, the NYT reports:

“I fail to understand how I could be charged with murder, let alone premeditated,” he said in an affidavit read to the packed courtroom by his defense lawyer, Barry Roux, “I had no intention to kill my girlfriend.”

His assertion contradicted an earlier accusation from the prosecutor, Gerrie Nel, that Mr. Pistorius committed premeditated murder when he rose from his bed, pulled on artificial legs, walked more than 20 feet from his bedroom and pumped four bullets into the door, three of which struck his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on the other side.

It was the first time that either the prosecution or Mr. Pistorius had publicly provided details of their radically divergent accounts of a killing that has shocked the nation and made news around the world.

Comments

1. Sadly it will not "get better" for the poor dead lady. Accident my ass! RIP Steena. Rot In Prison Pistorious.

Posted by: Jenga | Feb 19, 2013 11:11:39 AM

2. Yes, he's obviously guilty because you were there and know exactly what happened.

Posted by: Buckie | Feb 19, 2013 12:30:04 PM

3. He has a history of being a hothead. That doesn't mean he committed premeditated murder here, but it looks bad. Interesting that many 'friends' and associates don't have much nice to say about him.

Sympathies to the dead woman's family and friends.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 19, 2013 1:29:15 PM

4. Everything about the Pistorius case is depressing beyond words.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 19, 2013 1:35:00 PM

5. From the NYTimes linked article:

Mr. Nel, the prosecutor, however, declared: “If I arm myself, walk a distance and murder a person, that is premeditated. The door is closed. There is no doubt. I walk seven meters and I kill. ... The motive is, ‘I want to kill.’ That’s it.”

I am not versed at all in South African law, but these notions of "pre-meditation" and "motive" fail to comport with any common-sense definitions of the terms whatsoever. I have my doubts about Pistorius, but now I'm beginning to have my doubts about the prosecution as well.

Posted by: Loryuh. | Feb 19, 2013 1:44:54 PM

6. "Hotheadedness" and "pre-meditation" don't really go together, do they? "Hotheadedness" seems to lend itself more to a charge of 2nd Degree murder or Manslaughter.

Posted by: Asesino | Feb 19, 2013 1:49:02 PM

7. OK. Who wakes after hearing a "burglar" grabs his gun; walks to a bathroom in another room; and then unloads 4 bullets into a closed room? Who? Most likely a murder.

But hey, innocent until proven guilty.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 19, 2013 2:41:29 PM

8. How can people rush to judgment on what happened when all the facts are not yet known?

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Feb 19, 2013 3:36:53 PM

9. So stupid. Murder isn't contagious via a video. If this guy, innocent until proven guilty, can't even send a positive message into the world, what is it coming to?

Posted by: Randy | Feb 19, 2013 4:50:11 PM

10. @Jim-- his version is that he was in bed, no legs, and thought he heard an intruder. The proof will come via the bullet holes in the door, which may show the nearness of the gun by their character. (yes, I watch TV)
    @Randy-- of course no one can use him in any ads right now, as they will obliterate the message with people's opinions of the death

Posted by: Bob | Feb 19, 2013 5:44:20 PM

11. One fact not up for dispute: he shot his girlfriend to death, whether on purpose or by accident. He isn't denying shooting her.

I'd say that is probably reason enough to just leave him out of the video for now. Particularly when the message is that life gets better.

Posted by: FancyPants | Feb 19, 2013 7:19:54 PM