Pope to Live with His Rumored Secret Boyfriend in Retirement

Popegay

Talk of Pope Benedict's close relationship with his "personal secretary" Georg Ganswein has been around for some time. I wrote about it HERE six years ago.

Andrew Sullivan examines the Pope's uber-gay retirement arrangements:

The only thing the Pope will give up, apparently, are his red Prada shoes. He has some fabulous brown leather artisanal ones to replace them. But this is what really made me sit up straight, so to speak:

Benedict’s trusted secretary, Monsignor Georg Gänswein, will be serving both pontiffs — living with Benedict at the monastery inside the Vatican and keeping his day job as prefect of the new pope’s household. Asked about the potential conflicts, Lombardi was defensive, saying the decisions had been clearly reasoned and were likely chosen for the sake of simplicity. “I believe it was well thought out,” he said.

So Benedict’s handsome male companion will continue to live with him, while working for the other Pope during the day.

Adding:

This man – clearly in some kind of love with Ratzinger (and vice-versa) will now be working for the new Pope as secretary in the day and spending the nights with the Pope Emeritus. This is not the Vatican. It’s Melrose Place.

Business Insider chimes in:

Sullivan isn't exactly alone in his suspicions. He points towards a book by Angelo Quattrocchi (playfully titled "The Pope is Not Gay") that he felt reached similar conclusions. In addition, former Benedictine monk-priest and author Richard Sipe claims to have spoken to a number of Roman clerics and members of the Roman press corps who were "convinced" that Benedict XVI was gay.

Of course, it doesn't help the rumors that Ganswein has become something of a star in his own right. He's been dubbed the "The George Clooney of the Vatican,” and appeared on the cover of the Italian Vanity Fair under the headline “It’s no sin to be good looking.” Donatella Versace has even dedicated a menswear collection to him.

Gawker visually documents the rumored secret boyfriend and his Pope.

Comments

1. Maguitac says

I apologize in advance for my lack of maturity.

See, whenever someone speaks of a disturbing individual’s lover, the first thing that pops in my mind is: “Can you imagine him on top of you?!”

Ewwwwwwwwww.

2. David Hearne says

I fail to see why some gay people think it’s clever to say that the Pope is gay, or that a given anti-gay republican is gay. Yes, I get that you are pointing out the gross hypocrisy, but you’re still basically calling them f-words and using gay in a derogatory way. I don’t think that homophobes are all gay, I think they are all jackasses.

3. Steve Scarborough says

I was born in 1965 and, based variously on books, articles, gossip, news accounts, and my own gaydar, I believe we’ve had one heterosexual Pope — John Paul II — in my lifetime.

4. MaryM says

I find it incredibly sinister that the pope’s lover/secretary will continue to work for the new pope.

Just as I found it incredibly sinister that Ratzinger retired rather than died, before being replaced.

So the former member of Hitler Youth – Pope Ratzinger – will not only be able to influence the selection of his replacement (in order to continue his toxic campaign of misogyny and homophobia; through his lover/companion he will also be able to influence the new pope.

Ratzinger is possessed of an evil brilliance.

5. Tim says

I think the Church’s stance on gay men and women is sad. Everyone knows many priests are gay. Catholics know people are gay. To disavow and call it disordered is arrogant and plain wrong. Failure to prosecute and admit that some priests are guilty of sexual abuse is horrific. They are not perfect and why did they cover crimes up. I think because they are arrogant and just stupid. Ask Nixon, nobody can cover up anything now.

6. Phil says

I totally agree with David Hearne. Andrew Sullivan’s article is shameful, and as usual, pompous. It is based on pure speculation which we would vigorously denounce if a straight person did the same to us. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar – we are dealing with a monarch who has a devoted servant, just like Queen Elizabeth or the Japanese Emperor. And then Sullivan says Benedict has a penchant for fine clothes – Go figure! Isn’t it his job to uphold a 2000 year old tradition, which includes all its historical regalia? Sullivan expounds a petty, vicious line of thinking that makes us all look bad.

7. DismayedandDisgusted says

Pope Benedict XVI will be remembered as the Great Apostate. No Pope should override the will of God and resign. The Pope is chosen FOR LIFE through the intervention of the Holy Spirit. Are we f*ing Protestants?

8. Chuckles says

Sullivan only thinks he’s an expert on things Catholic. He’s mostly just a gossip enamored of his own accent.

Let’s start with the fact that Ganswein has no status that the new pope can’t change, and the new guy will surely want his own staff in place ASAP.

As for the resignation, the pope is Bishop of Rome and bishops resign all the time. The emeritus title is kinda pompous but just betrays Benedict’s academic background and bias.

There’s little to hope for from the election to come, but why not hope for a miracle.

9. Bill says

@David Hearne: Last summer, within a one week period, I heard two independent rumors about Ratzinger’s sexual orientation. One was from a person who knew someone whose boyfriend was high up in the San Francisco archdiocese and claimed to have done it with Ratzinger, but years before Ratzinger became the pope. The second was from someone who had a gay landlord in Munich – the claim ws that Ratzinger was seen in gay bars during the years he was stationed in Munich.

Of course, there is no way for me to verify any of that, and none of it is first-hand information, but if Ratzinger actually is gay, I wouldn’t be surprised.

10. anon says

It’s a bit much to think he’d have lots of influence over the new pope after the selection process (which he can help shape for sure–and already has through selection of cardinals). The primary objection is that he could have stayed pope, so this has to be a step down, plus he’s kinda old.

11. Francis says

LOL at people getting offended at the rumors. It’s not as if they aren’t completely baseless and it’s not like they haven’t existed for years.

Georg is definitely attractive for his age. He can do a lot better than Ratzinger.

12. DismayedandDisgusted says

Divorce is prohibited, but the Pope can resign?

I have disliked him since he emerge from the Vatican bureaucracy, but resigning the papacy is completely inconsistent with ex-Pope Benedict XVI, Pope Emeritus, Cardinal Ratzinger or whatever else he calls himself now’s hardline stances on church tradition and teaching.

He epitomizes Hypocrisy.

I predict that a group of Catholics will refuse to recognize the “new Pope”, because they will still consider Pope Benedict XVI Pope, whether he himself accepts it or not.

This whole twisted mess is a very bad omen.

13. Kenny says

I guess the only way the Pope can win is if he lives out his days in complete isolation from males or females. There is no such thing as platonic relationships. There has to be sex involved, right?

14. Onnyjay says

Don’t know, don’t care. Let the old fool have his red Pradas and shuffle off into obscurity. He and JP2 set the church back 2-3 centuries and there’s nobody in the “papabile” to introduce the 21st. Fug them all, and their silly dresses.

15. ***** says

I find it difficult to imagine that so many people are worried about an eighty five year old, sick man having sex of any kind. Personally, I think that each one of you need to take a round of blood pressure medication and then come back for a discussion on how well your St. Peter is able to climb up for the grand finale. Don’t start about those little blue pills either. Having to take blood pressure meds often times precludes the use of E D medications. I don’t think that, even if the old POOP takes a younger boyfriend into retirement with him, he will be having a “gay old” time in the Castle Gondolfo. Is anyone taking bets on how long he will last in retirement? Personally, he looks sick.

16. my2cents says

for those who may be confused, this is not about sex. it is about love, and intimacy, something that the Church denies others.

in the sacrimony of priesthood, one takes God as their husband. and One is monogamus in That.

in other spiritual lineages, there are ‘celibates’ and ‘householders’… the former dwelling in the state of male/female loving every one and every thing and as God (Ramakrishna is a great example of one who identified as both male and female in his worshipful devotion), and the latter living lives of husbands, fathers, and business owners in the embodiment of humble spiritual instructors.

the challenge is to honor One’s own calling – as my Baba teaches:” everyone’s Truth is different, so the most i can request is for you to be as honest as possible.”

the Church should take notice: honesty is an auspicious beginning.

17. mike says

Sorry, but the overwhelming body of evidence speaks for itself. Unless and Until the Roman Catholic Church decides to purge itself of its many, many crimes against humans and human nature I have no other choice but to view them and all they represent(in reality) as an instrument of unspeakable EVIL.

18. Richard says

I find it amusing. I will be blunt and honest, I did not expect to find this information coming from a homosexual site…I was doing research in my capacity as an elder in a Sabbath keeping Church, a Church that rightly identifies the papal system as the beast of both Daniel and Revelation and the office of the pope (more rightly the black pope but I digress) as the false prophet, the catholic system being the Whore of Babylon.
    As such, I have identified the most recent resignation of the pope (shall we call him papaRatzi?) as a repeat of prophesy, where the head of the beast is wounded, yet it lives (See Revelation 13:3) It is so obvious. In 1798 we saw the first wound, and the prophesy fulfilled, when General Berthier by order of Napoleon Bonapart, captured the pope, holding him in prison until he died. Napoleon was called “King of Italy” Now, the Secretary General of Italy, a Georgio Napolitano, Napoleons namesake, has reportedly issued an arrest for ol papaRatzinger, because the pope was the cardinal in charge of moving accused child-molester priests around, giving them different positions to protect them from prosecution.
    And now this, the pope is gay, makes sense and is typical. Thank you for posting this.