News | Vassar | Westboro Baptist Church

Vassar College Raises More Than $100,000 for the Trevor Project in Response to Westboro Baptist Church Protest

Vc_protest

Vassar College has raised more than $100,000 in response to a planned protest today by the Westboro Baptist Church.

VassarWhen the WBC announced its picket, Josh de Leeuw '08 organized a fundraiser with the goal of raising $4,500.

The Westboro Baptist Church has announced that they will picket Vassar College on Feb 28th. In response, we are raising money for the Trevor Project, "the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth." Our goal is to raise $4,500, or $100 per minute that the WBC is planning to protest for.

The response, as you can see, was more than enthusiastic, attracting thousands of donors.

As a proud '89 Vassar alum, I salute them (as do fellow VC alums Andrew Belonsky and Naveen Kumar, who write for this site).

Comments

1. There's something about a Vassar girl.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Feb 28, 2013 3:32:18 PM

2. That is a great way of hitting back at the lunatics of WBC.
    And it's for a great charity.

It contrasts an open generous spirit with mean bitter little ogres.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 28, 2013 3:39:57 PM

3. Vassar has snob cache. $100.000 is chump change. Any lesser amount would be an embarrassment. Right Andy?

Posted by: GB | Feb 28, 2013 4:10:46 PM

4. Hell yeah, Vassar! Nicely done. Way to live up to your reputation as an inclusive, loving community.

Yours always, even when I'm not happy about it,

Andrew Belonsky, class of '04, the best class. (Sorry, Andy of'89 [yeesh!], but I'm sure Naveen will agree!)

Posted by: Andrew Belonsky | Feb 28, 2013 5:46:37 PM

5. I had no idea you all were Vassar alums! No wonder I love this site so much.

Dan '10

Posted by: DM | Feb 28, 2013 6:30:25 PM

6. I had no idea you all were Vassar alums! No wonder I love this site so much.

Dan '10

Posted by: DM | Feb 28, 2013 6:30:26 PM

7. i actually PERSONALLY know someone who had their lives literally saved as a result of the resources and help they got from the Trevor Project. When he tells his story and the compassion the trevor project peeps showed him; you can't help but tear up. We as gay adults should always be mindful of supporting our gay youth. They often literally have no voice or supporters in their day to day lives.

Posted by: Kyle | Feb 28, 2013 11:14:12 PM

8. How can I get WBPC to come to my town. We would love to have this much success in fund raising.

They are turning out to be a great organization. They unite communities against a common foe, bring awareness to communities, and increases fund raising for gay programs.

And no I did not misspell Burro