Alt-Folk Singer Michelle Shocked Tells SF Audience ‘God Hates Fags’, Inspires Mass Walk-Out

Alt-folk singer Michelle Shocked is making headlines after reports she went on an anti-gay tirade during the second half of her show at San Francisco club Yoshi, Meow Online reports:

ShockedMichelle Shocked, known for living up to her surname, cleared out San Francisco club Yoshi’s last night, and shut down the venue, after she went on an anti-gay tirade, which she summed up by saying, ”You can go on Twitter and say ‘Michelle Shocked says God hates fags.’”

Matt Penfield, onstage live-tweeting the performance for Shocked was, well, shocked.

“Eerie foreshadowing at Michelle Shocked show,” Penfield said. “before the show she talked about how ‘people seem like your friends then they turn on you.’”

Her first set was “all cool. 2nd set, she got up went full hate speech,” he tweeted.

Shocked's Facebook page describes her as "your average anarchist skateboard punk rock born again Christian."

Last night she tweeted: "Truth is leading to painful confrontation #shortsharpshocked".

Video of the incident has yet to appear online.

Comments

1. Cam says

Raised a Mormon and a convert to being born again, she is just another self hating closet case twisted into something sick by the LDS and evangelical churches.

2. DannyEastVillage says

I guess that means we’re supposed to believe this means she’s straight–right?

3. DannyEastVillage says

I’ve said it over and over again and I’ll repeat it here: nobody on earth is meaner than those who think themselves righteous.

4. SFshawn says

Could she be more of a closet dyke?
    Yoshi’s should give people their money back and she might want to STFU otherwise she might get her pretty face smashed in to shut her up. Time for her to get back to being a closet case in Utah and not perform in venues where she HATES and DEMEANS her audience. Just a tip.

5. Ryan says

I’d never heard of her until now. Maybe she was just looking for publicity. I mean, hey, it got her a post here and probably on other blogs, too.

6. DannyEastVillage says

same krapola we endured from Donna Summer. She lived to eat her words. But not much longer. hate’s bad for the soul–especially self-hate.

7. Bill says

There’s an article on the incident at
    and it seems that she is in even more trouble – a show of hers in Novato scheduled for March 29 was canceled due to her behavior at Yoshi’s.

After her outburst, Yoshi’s staff cut her microphone and shut off the (stage) lights. About 2/3 of the audience walked out, and Yoshi’s offered an apology and refunds. Yoshi’s staff was apparently even more horrified than the audience.

8. Thomas says

Poor lady. She thought she was communicating messages from a burning bush, but really it was fourth stage syphilis.

9. Distingue Traces says

As far as “doing it for publicity” – any press she may get from this incident can’t possibly balance the loss of the small, devoted fanbase that has followed her for thirty years.

What a terrible shame.

10. Francis says

Another closeted weirdo. Hope she had fun destroying whatever career she had last night.

11. nick says

That’s right Michelle-your imaginary friend is all about HATE; great way to get your fairy tale out to the masses!

12. Bob says

A GOOD REMINDER that people often run to phony “Christian” religions because they want to not think about their own demons

13. Chris says

I love when Christian rockers, metal bands, and other singers try and act like being a Christian is cool. They’re pathetic attempts at relevancy to my generation and trying to do things they view as ‘cool’ (such as Christian dubstep – yes for real) always falls flat. This creep reminds of one. Go back to your rathole of a church darling.

14. Rich says

“No no no no… I said FIGS. I HATE FIGS. Seriously, people…

Posted by: God | Mar 18, 2013 6:35:37 PM”

Considering the silly uses that people have put fig leaves to, I can understand your position.

15. Ben in Oakland says

Even I have heard of her, but i suspect we won’t be hearing of her much longer.

16. Bryan says

Well, this particular fag hates god, so I suppose we’re even.

Birth being a traumatic experience, it’s easy to understand why those who choose to suffer through it “again” come out so damaged. Clearly forcing her adult-sized head through Jesus’ uterus has done permanent damage to Shocked’s brain.

17. Firestorm says

According to Wikipedia, she’s been living openly as lesbian before 1990, but she also married a man in 1992 and divorced him in 2004.

Either she drank the ex-gay Kool-Aid, or she’s trying too hard to get attention.

18. LiamB says

As usual, another “Christian” who seems to ignore just what her own bible has to say about those with hate in their heart.

19. Paul R says

Actually she hardly has a career. This is basically her saying, I’m insane. Yoshi’s isn’t even the most liberal place, and they wouldn’t put up with this crap. She’s over.

20. Norma says

If it weren’t for this news report, I would’ve spent my entire life never having heard of this idiot. She’s irrelevant, why would anyone pay attention to her crazy ass?

21. Shelly says

I used to really love her music, and I’m sure lots of other lesbians my age did, too. Feels like a slap to the face coming from someone you thought least likely to do so.

22. Brian Floyd says

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the concept of a born again Christian anarchist.

23. Notshockedbutappalled says

Sometimes lesbians who dislike men, gay or otherwise, use “fag” to refer to gay men.

This could be such a case.

Anyways, it’s not intriguing, interesting, or shocking performance art.

It’s Michael Richards, and look how well he’s doing – too bad she doesn’t have his residuals.

My advice to her would be to check in somewhere – attend some rehabilitation classes and then get back to whoever can stand her – not me.

24. stranded says

Apparently she’s been a born-again Christian (ie holier-than-thou bigot) for awhile now. Sounds like she committed career suicide onstage intentionally. Spreading more of that Christianista love to the masses.

25. pParkerT says

This breaks my heart. I think her 1988 album Short Sharp Shocked is perfect, every song is perfect. I saw her at Bumbershoot in Seattle in 2002 and left at intermission. I’ve heard that she’s had on-stage meltdowns before, but this? I just feel like I need to throw the CD away and totally forget about her.

And, yes, her album Captain Swing has several songs that are delightful girl-on-girl love songs.

My heart is broken. As many of the other commenters have noted, she needs some help. I hope she can find some peace.

26. bambinoitalianoba says

Is that how the entertainment industry work now? If you can’t hack it, just spout some anti gay remark to get the attention of the media even if you are a nobody no talent to begin with?

27. me says

Just read the wikipedia page about her. This seems like a sad case of self-loathing. It’s more sad than maddening. She’s going to have to deal with this blowback and then make a new life for herself after having burned all these bridges with one tragic 5 minutes of her life.

28. jaragon says

Never heard of this woman- but talk about destroying your career well at least with the gay audience- she can now got and sing about Jesus…

29. Brain says

Ever noticed how many “born again” Christians have a history of substance abuse?

Only someone with brain damage would believe such nonsense.

30. TampaZeke says

Someone on Joe My God said that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia about a year ago. If that’s true then this is another sad case of mental illness being misunderstood and met with anger and vitriol instead of compassion and proper mental health services.

If it’s not true then all of the comments are deserved. I’m holding out judgment until I get more information.

Unfortunately religious fundamentalism is sometimes indistinguishable from mental illness.

31. Sal says

TOWLEROAD CHECK OUT DAVID GUETTA VIDEO TITLED “#VEVOCertified, Pt. 3: David Guetta On The Birth Of EDM” ON YOUTUBE,HERE ONE OF THE BIGGEST DJ SAYS THE GAY CLUBS WERE WHERE THE SOUND THAT IS TAKING OVER THE CHARTS CAME FROM,COOL STORY TO RUN… forgive the caps

32. psusfca says

I have been in touch with 8 of the 11 venues on the rest of her tour. 5 have confirmed that the concert is canceled and I expect that a 6th will cancel soon. Of the other two, have emailed one, and will try to reach the other two. Basically her whole US tour is going down in flames.

33. andrew says

Who the f&ck is she? Why should anybody care what she thinks? For those who care, the apology will probably be coming in a day or two.

34. says

She was a #1 (I believe) on MTV back in the day with “The Greener Side” and her song “Anchorage” is simply amazing and fun. So sad that she’s gotten to this place, whatever the reason.

35. MArk says

Have patience, she looks like a troubled woman, the incident was more like a meltdown type; breath and let the gas pass, have mercy for the btch

36. AJ says

That was clever. We all know how much born agains love folk music sung by women that look somewhat androgynous. I’m sure this will be great for her career. Also, I’m being completely sarcastic.

37. Dback says

She was (WAS) a great artist in the late 80’s-early 90’s–“Short Sharp Shocked” “Captain Swing” “Arkansas Traveller” through “Kind Hearted Woman” is a helluvva run, and a great survey of American music across various genres. So sad and disillusioned about this. (Who’da thunk Michelle Shocked would make Sinead O’Connor look like a model of sanity!)

38. Ninong says

How dumb do you have to be to launch into an anti-gay marriage rant in San Francisco? Then tell the audience they can go ahead and Tweet, “Michelle Shocked says God hates f-gs.” No wonder two-thirds of them walked out. Then the manager, a gay man, walked on stage and stopped her performance and told her to leave the stage.

Hey, maybe she can get a job with the Westboro Baptist Church?

39. says

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Mar 18, 2013 6:37:25 PM

Danny, I think you getting carried away Queen First of all it was proven that Donna Summer DID NOT do that and woman is DECEASED can you dumbazz have respect for the dead!

40. KZ says

I have never heard of Michelle Shocked until today.

Must have been chilly in the picture on this post.

41. millerbeach says

She was nominally successful in the mid-1990’s…honestly, I thought she had died. I think she had a video that used to air on VH-1, shot in bland and white, with her wearing BRIGHT green lipstick and finger nail polish. That’s about all I remember of her, that, and thinking she was a lesbian. So, she’s born again? Did Jesus teach her to hate so much? It must be some new form of Christianity….you know, the one that condones hating and does stuff Jesus would never claim. Let me know how that’s working for you, Michelle, when you are burning in Hell.

42. Adam says

Typical female homophobe. Women feel threatened by men and by male homosexual acts. Male homosexual acts represent a rejection of women – that’s why they hate us.

Male homosexuality also represents male superiority over women because it means that those men who choose to engage in homosexual acts are not beholden to the sexual blackmail of women. Women also find the concept of male bisexuality to be competitively threatening.

43. Petes says

I suppose it’s pointless in taking a rational approach to people who are completely irrational, but, in the bible, Jesus specifically says that a divorced person who has sex is committing adultery which is a grave sin. He said exactly nothing about homosexuality. Michelle Shocked is divorced and in a relationship with another guy (actively committing sin according to Jesus), yet she goes off on gay people.

44. Jonathan says

we might want to tone down the condemnation – she has serious problems. Her name comes from her having electro-shock therapy when she was in a mental hospital – where she was diagnosed as schizophrenic.

I suspect she’s off of her meds.

45. Jack M says

Her almost nonexistent career has now expired. Add her to the rolls of the unemployed.

46. says

Dude, we all have problems; we all deal with our problems before turning into a hate filled bi**h; if she has mental problems she should be handling them medically – not performing on stage.

She is dead now; no Ken Melman resurrection; no explanations; if such hate is within her then she has put herself beyond the Pale forever.

47. Sam says

@DannyEastVillage If you’re implying that Donna Summer got cancer because she said some hateful things and subsequently spent years apologizing, you may be as drama and nuts as Michelle Shocked.

48. says

AWESOME. Seriously!? How cool would it be to be there and have this folk singer suddenly rail against you. Surreal!

49. says

If the tables had been turned and someone had disparaged Christians, you can bet that Shocked would’ve been shocked indeed.

It’s been my experience that if you do unto them as they do unto you, they explode. They, Christians, will go on a rant and tirade should anyone dare say anything about their mythology, but strangely believe that it’s their god-given right to do the same to you.

Nothing hurts worse than the truth.

50. Dèja Vu says

And to think that I saw her being arrested at the 1984 National Republican Convention for protesting Regan-era Republican policies a little too… vociferously. You’ve come a long way back to nowhere, baby.

51. C.J. says

I was so happy to see that EVERY venue that she has booked in the US portion of her “tour” has cancelled her appearance.

52. TonyJazz says

It’s a shame she is not a more intelligent individual….

She should just go quietly away (forever).

53. jamal49 says

Not to make a pun, but I am shocked at Ms. Shocked. I was, repeat–was, a fan and went to see her a couple of times here in NYC. This is what happens to people who become born-again or evangelical christians. Their minds become poisoned, their hearts become like ice. They lose their humanity and ability to reason. They no longer have compassion; neither can they empathize. They become anti-human, anti-life, joyless and spiritually vacant. They, of course, would tell you otherwise. But, I speak from experience. Evangelical, born-again christianity is a spiritual cancer.

54. Thomas says

@TAMPAZEKE and @JONATHAN–Thanks for pointing out that she has dealt with mental illness. I’m guessing most aren’t aware of that. The problem, I imagine, is that seeing her have an active concert schedule and then spout this kind of hate is more consistent with her now simply being a born-again Christian than with someone who is suffering a schizophrenic breakdown or the effects of going off medication.

But mental illness can manifest in a lot of different ways, so I hope she does get some help. Certainly she doesn’t seem to be getting it from her present support system.

55. Lance says

I remember “Come a Long Way” as a terrific song of the early ’90s. She’s done the opposite. Self-hate is so very ugly, and so very sad.

56. jay_max says

Doesn’t the Bible state women are supposed to remain silent on matters of religion? 😉

57. says

It’s really this “born again” poison which seems to drive ordinary people into hate..

And those who resort to the “born again” elixir seem to be the most vulnerable and particularly the most lonely.

The manipulation by religion for self promotion is boundless.

58. dumbnhung says

Wow, I remember seeing her in concert when I was in university a number of years back. Then I thought, “What a talented dyke!”. Now I have to think, “Psycho self-hating dyke!”

59. skidroe says

Darn! I have tickets to her show at McCabe’s in Santa Monica on Saturday. Already cancelled!! Now what am I going to do?

60. Garth says

You see the reaction this story gets. Truth is gays hate gays too. And if I hear “self-loathing closet” one more time. What a fairy tale that is. Looks like they slipped the girl some truth serum. The Bible has nothing to do with it. How dare anyone hint or suggest that they “hate” gays — they are too in love with themselves to bear that.
    Gays are weaned on hate. It shouldn’t come as a shock.

61. Buckie says

Hopefully she’ll get the help she needs, from people that REALLYcare about HER, and not some particular agenda.

She’s *very* talented, and I’m not surprised a lot of posters haven’t heard of her until now, since many seem oblivious to anything outside the one-dimensional gay mainstream. Newsflash, there’s a lot more music out there than Lady GaGa and Madonna. And most if it’s more interesting and sincere.

She’s had mental health issues in the past, and not surprisingly the “Christian” exploiters have been ready to “help” her. It’s sad, but I still hold out hope that she’ll eventually come around, when she figures out what all THAT mess is REALLY all about.

More than anything, I feel really sorry for her. Maybe that’s what I’m getting out of all this lately. So many of our “enemies” are really to be pitied. It’s sad and pathetic, they’re sad and pathetic.

I’m not going to hate them back, at this point I’m just disappointed and saddened. What’s the use in hating them ?

62. Jeff says

Apparently, Shocked has previously been diagnosed with Paranoid schizophrenia. Perhaps she is going through a meltdown? I’m not making fun when I say that.

63. Jeff says

64. k says

The latest I’ve heard is that every single venue in the US where she was scheduled to play on this current tour had canceled her show… because of this.

65. Bollux says

Maybe when she pulls that two-pronged crucifix out of her vagass, she can enter society as a decent human being. Otherwise, shun the snatch.

66. suzi says

Well, this particular fag hates god, so I suppose we’re even.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 18, 2013 7:20:58 PM

OMG!! I nearly spat my mouthful of tea over the monitor…hilarious!!! lol