Brendon Ayanbadejo | Football (American) | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | News | Sports

Brendon Ayanbadejo Talks About Getting Involved in the Prop 8 Case, Says LGBT Equality is 'Hardest Fight'

Ayanbadejo

Baltimore Raven Brendon Ayanbadejo sat down with USA Today after a panel at EA's LGBT Full Spectrum event in New York City on Tuesday and talked about his participation in the fight for LGBT equality.

Said Ayanbadejo:

"[LGBT equality] is the hardest fight I've ever had to face in my life and I've seen my fair share of adversity growing up in the projects, growing up on welfare, a lot of gang violence. Basically having nothing then coming full circle to where I am today. I've seen a lot of adversity but this is definitely the hardest fight because a lot of people don't want to change."

He was also asked about the amicus brief he is submitting in the Prop 8 case:

Along with several professors, you and Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe recently filed a brief with the Supreme Court urging them to reject California's ban on same-sex marriage. Why did you take that step?

Our thinking in this amicus brief is that I'm known to support LGBT rights and Chris Kluwe just as well, so we teamed up with a couple professors and we had an attorney write the brief. We presented it to the SCOTUS. I think it went pretty well. I had no idea how big of an impact it was going to be.

Now we're trying to get more high-profile people to sign on to our brief, which has to be submitted by March 24. We have Dominique Foxworth, the NFLPA president, UFC fighter Rashad Evans and Patrick Nero, the athletic director at George Washington University, where I'm currently getting my MBA.

Read the full interview here.

Comments

1. what does this guy have to do to have his dream come true and dance with Ellen? come on gays, you can make that happen for sure.

Posted by: Cd in DC | Mar 8, 2013 11:28:50 AM

2. What a wonderful guy, a real man, strong, wise and handsome.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 8, 2013 11:46:03 AM

3. How lucky are we that he is talking up a storm in the media? And, he's an incredible feast for the eyes with great style. I'm not religious, but I'm praying now that he goes on to have a second career that allows him to continue advocacy very publicly.

Posted by: Markt | Mar 8, 2013 11:48:25 AM

4. Brendon - clone yourself. Have a billion babies. You're what we all need.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 8, 2013 11:52:30 AM

5. I nominate Brendan Ayanbadejo for Grand Marshall of SF's Pride Parade, this summer...it's his hometown...if he wants to include his buddy, Chris Kluwe, there oughta be room on the float...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Mar 8, 2013 12:22:01 PM

6. For pope

More of a leader than Obama or Clinton

Posted by: rick scatorum | Mar 8, 2013 12:48:24 PM

7. Ayanbadejo is one of the best LGBT-allies there is. He's a great role model for everyone, regardless of sexual orientation och gender, cis or trans. I hope that he'll run for president when his playing days are over. Thank you thank you thank you!

Posted by: Abe | Mar 8, 2013 1:03:41 PM

8. Slam me all u want but its a shame his ass is going to waste. I mean, have u seen his backside? F'n flippin fantastic. Yum.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 8, 2013 1:15:16 PM

9. Kiwi, I'd like to have one of his babies.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 8, 2013 1:21:26 PM

10. Brendon often calls out hate speech (latest issue: using the word "retard") and religious fundamentalists who try to tell him that his children have original sin, or that God died for them, etc.

Follow his Twitter feed (@brendon310) and you'll see he regularly engages fans and haters. He seems like quite the fearless guy. By NFL standards he's an old player so pursuing the MBA is smart.

Posted by: SC David | Mar 8, 2013 1:37:31 PM

11. This man knows how to dress.

Posted by: virtualdespot | Mar 8, 2013 2:45:36 PM

12. "has to be submitted by March 24"

I'm confused. I thought it ALREADY had to be submitted.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 8, 2013 4:07:57 PM

13. Great.

How about we hear more from actual LGBT people for a change.

Posted by: Morty | Mar 8, 2013 11:44:05 PM