Catholic Church | Keith O'Brien | News | Religion

Keith O'Brien, Cardinal Implicated In Gay Scandal, Admits Sex With Priests

6a00d8341c730253ef017c3715cb47970b-800wiFormer Scottish Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the outrageously anti-gay crusader who stepped down after being accused of "inappropriate acts" with other priests, admitted today that, yes, he did all of the things he denied only a week ago, including coercing subordinates into sexual situations.

His statement:

However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.

To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness.

To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.

I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland.

Considering the amount of time O'Brien spent spreading lies about gay people and fighting LGBT rights, is an apology enough?

Comments

1. I'll take it.

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 3, 2013 5:44:35 PM

2. oh HELL NO...

Posted by: bandanajack | Mar 3, 2013 5:45:30 PM

3. And yet again someone loud in his condemnation of gays and who has condemned our right to marry and have children, or to have relationships turns out to be a raving hypocrite.
    This is not an apology, he just wants to slither away from his rank two faced lies.

I think of all those kids,especially, who have felt useless outcasts and have felt belittled and ashamed by the demonic rantings of bigots like this worthless charlatan. I think of all those kids bullied by the self righteousness of this toad.
    I weep for those children who have been denigrated by this scarlet Prince of the Church.
    Wow, you and your Church call us "intrinsically disordered" ?
    Incredible, just incredible.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 3, 2013 5:51:38 PM

4. His humiliation is all the apology I need.

Posted by: Yeek | Mar 3, 2013 5:52:48 PM

5. No, the apology is not enough.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 3, 2013 5:54:56 PM

6. ...insert Scottish joke HERE. (I could do this for weeks - or, at least until white smoke comes out somebody's ass!)

Posted by: Wavin' Dave | Mar 3, 2013 6:02:09 PM

7. This apology is pathetic .

Posted by: Mike | Mar 3, 2013 6:02:30 PM

8. @Jackfkntwist: Couldn't have said it better myself. This is a non-apology to those who were really affected by his hypocritical behavior. All he cares about is offending people with his "sin."

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 3, 2013 6:14:48 PM

9. To quote a Scottish poet,"Oh what a tangled web we weave/When first we practice to deceive."

Posted by: John | Mar 3, 2013 6:15:02 PM

10. " I will now place myself on contract to behead the retired Pope and then, returning to Scotland, throw myself off the walls of Edinburgh Castle in a pink plaid kilt."

That might do.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 3, 2013 6:18:12 PM

11. hasn't any public figure learned how NOT to offer a sanctimonious, half-hearted, non-apology, yet?

apologizing to "those i have offended" is not enough. start by acknowledging your actions as wrong, and apologize for those actions, whether or not anyone was offended. period.

Posted by: northalabama | Mar 3, 2013 6:18:35 PM

12. Vomit.

I have no particular issue with gay priests sleeping with other gay men, priests or not, who are on an equal footing with them and able to freely consent. Hell, I've slept with a couple.

That's all he's "apologizing" for. Not for behaving in a predatory way toward seminarians who were being taught to hate their sexuality, and no doubt leaving them torn with guilt over it.

And not a word about all the people he's damaged by being openly and actively homophobic and throwing the entire weight of his office behind not only condemning them, but getting the law to support that condemnation.

I won't say I'll never accept a sincere apology from someone who admits his wrong. But he has to start at a bare minimum for actually apologizing. And what he's apologized for is only the tiniest, least significant part of the evil he did.

He's apologizing for getting caught. That's just vile.

Posted by: Lymis | Mar 3, 2013 6:26:23 PM

13. Are there times when a prelate's sexual conduct can meet (or even rise above) the standards expected of a priest, archbishop and cardinal?

Posted by: Ripped Mittens | Mar 3, 2013 6:28:26 PM

14. Well, yes, as others have said, he's apologizing for the wrong thing. His offense is disseminating a message of hatred and discrimination against gays, not that he has sex with men.

But most striking is that he can't seem to apologize even for the wrong thing without lying. Specifically, he says, "Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them" when he ought to have said "Like most Catholic prelates caught with their pants down, my first impulse was to lie my ass off."

Posted by: Vint | Mar 3, 2013 7:04:09 PM

15. At least they weren't minors - that's something.

Posted by: niles | Mar 3, 2013 7:04:38 PM

16. Retiring? Why isn't his ass being excommunicated if homosexuality is such a grievous sin?

Oh right. He's a cardinal, not a member of the laity.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Mar 3, 2013 7:24:05 PM

17. One of the reasons that Keith O'Brien and the rest of the Catholic Hierarchy are so opposed to homosexuality is because many if not most of them are closeted homosexuals. The only kind of homosexual relations they have engaged in are secret and dirty. Sins to be atoned for. They have no understanding that two same sex people can love freely and openly in uplifting and mutually supportive relationships.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 3, 2013 7:57:38 PM

18. Are there any priests over the age of 50 that haven't sodomized each other?

Posted by: homer | Mar 3, 2013 8:03:48 PM

19. If he pulls a Mehlman I might consider it.

Acts of contrition trump mere words. And, as to that, has this ex-cardinal said anything to atone for his ill behavior? So far it's less apology than noises meant to distract.

Posted by: Glenn I | Mar 3, 2013 8:39:46 PM

20. I'm not excusing or offering an apology for this Cardinal who preached against gay rights and s-s marriage. However, people must understand how the RC Church works and that's the even sicker part is the Vatican's requirement of absolute obedience.

In 2003, as a condition of assuming the rank of Cardinal, he was forced to issue a public pledge to defend church teaching on homosexuality, celibacy and contraception. He was pressured to make the pledge after he had called for a “full and open discussion” on such matters. They silenced him.

Posted by: shanestud | Mar 3, 2013 8:43:01 PM

21. "In recent days certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them."

Huh? You mean THOSE priests I forced into sex? Oh, I thought you meant some OTHER priests.

Good grief. More likely it was "Oh, there's video."

Posted by: Craig | Mar 3, 2013 9:06:27 PM

22. Considering the number and Rank of all the Clergy that we discover did not "practice what they preached", I wonder why anyone bothers to go to church each week and put money in a collection plate so these men can live without going out and earning a living as we poor ordinary people do. All Religions are based upon "Fear of the unknown" before we understood anything about the "Laws of Nature". It is obvious that these "Sinning" Priests do not believe any of the nonsense they preach every week from the pulpit. If they did, they would not be doing everything they are accused of.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Mar 3, 2013 9:29:45 PM

23. methinks that Ratzi's sudden departure was not instigated by "poor health" issues. wonder how many millions were paid for silence.

Posted by: niles | Mar 3, 2013 9:31:28 PM

24. His apology came to be, because he was caught. Had he not been caught, he would have lied until the day he died. He has ruined so many lives with his evil words against gay people, that there isn't enough time on this earth for him to correct the damage he has done. If there is an afterlife, the one he believes in, he will be rotting in the cauldron of the hell of his own belief.

Posted by: Jimmy Palmieri | Mar 3, 2013 9:38:15 PM

25. He should be telling all those priests he had sex with to resign too. They obviously can not keep their vows. And they should not be doing any counseling to questioning youth.

Posted by: JEFF YORK | Mar 3, 2013 9:43:51 PM