Gay Marriage | Jason Chaffetz | News | Rob Portman

Utah Congressman Jason Chaffetz Would Not Support Marriage Equality if His Child Was Gay: VIDEO

Chaffetz

MSNBC Host Richard Lui asked Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) today how he felt about Senator Rob Portman's reversal on marriage equality.

ChaffetzSaid Chaffetz: "Anybody who knows Rob Portman knows that he is sincere he's honest he cares about his family he's passionate. I mean all of those positive things. And I know this is very heartfelt and he believes it. And gosh, more power to him. He believes really does this, and I respect him for it."

When pressed on whether he'd make the same switch for his own child if he or she came out of the closet, Chaffetz indicated that he would not:

"I would love them with all of my heart, all my heart, absolutely...I just believe in traditional marriage, that's what i believe in. And I believe somebody who is gay can still be very happy and thrive and we want nothing with but the best for them. I don't want to discriminate against them, but I just happen to believe in traditional marriage."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Chaffetz has been vocal in his opposition to marriage equality in the past. In 2009 he vowed to block D.C.'s marriage equality law from taking effect, saying, "Some things are worth fighting for, and this is one of them. It's not something I can let go softly into the night. . . . I recognize the Democrats are in the majority, but I represent the majority of Americans on this issue."

Comments

1. "I don't want to discriminate against them" but I'm going to anyway.

Jackoff.

Posted by: Rich F. | Mar 15, 2013 2:53:45 PM

2. Prick.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Mar 15, 2013 2:55:24 PM

3. He is a Mor(m)on. That tells you everything you need to know about him.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 15, 2013 2:58:26 PM

4. What a (coverted) Morman ass is Chaffetz. I hope he has no LGBT offspring that have to suffer under his parenting perspective of SSM for HIS OWN CHILD!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Mar 15, 2013 3:00:04 PM

5. "You know, I'm no racist. I just happen to believe that God wants the races to be kept separate. I can't tell you *why*. I just happen to believe it, and I'm not going to cave in to pressure from the media, my black neighbors, or anyone else to apply some critical thinking or maybe a little empathy to the issue."

Posted by: BABH | Mar 15, 2013 3:02:45 PM

6. I hope his kids give him absolute hell for saying something like that.

Posted by: MT | Mar 15, 2013 3:03:14 PM

7. Chaffetz - "I'd rather attend my own son's funeral than his marriage to another man."

well, great. nice way to ensure any potentially-gay children you ever have will never think they can Come Out to you. blahhh.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 15, 2013 3:03:23 PM

8. I wonder if this man has two of everything since he blatantly has two faces.

This guy is a disease.

Posted by: Bart | Mar 15, 2013 3:08:23 PM

9. That's horrible. Religious parential love? Don't think so. Perhaps his children love him the same way...

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 15, 2013 3:08:32 PM

10. Isn't it amazing how a simple "but" can negate EVERYTHING that preceded it?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 15, 2013 3:27:33 PM

11. "I recognize the Democrats are in the majority, but I represent the majority of Americans on this issue." He says, ignoring the many polls which show the majority approve of marriage equality. . .

Posted by: LiamB | Mar 15, 2013 3:35:36 PM

12. How very sad for his children. You are seeing here the raw materials of bigotry; he doesn't consider himself a bigot but will tell you that he loves his children unconditionally, right up until he gets to the "but..."

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 15, 2013 3:37:42 PM

13. So much for unconditional love! I wonder how he can look at himself in the mirror.

His beliefs are of more importance to him than his own children. Too bad his beliefs can't love him back or take care of him when he gets old.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 15, 2013 3:41:47 PM

14. I actually prefer Chaffetz's response. It shows he has the courage of his bigotted convictions. In the end people like him will advance the cause of equality for all. His church must be very proud........his children, not so much.

Posted by: excy | Mar 15, 2013 3:44:39 PM

15. He's utterly irrelevant.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 15, 2013 3:48:33 PM

16. What an incredibly ulgy human being and he holds the position of Senator representing other people at the national level. Scary and SAD. Hopefully he loses his next election for the betterment of the USA.

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 15, 2013 4:27:09 PM

17. GAYFACE CLOSETCASE says ..what...?

Posted by: disgusted american | Mar 15, 2013 4:34:20 PM

18. HE REPRESENTS THE MORMON THEOCRACY OF UTAH -
    Why bother to even reply to him?
    Remember, the morholes are on full court press to LOOK ACCEPTING, by encouraging (finally)good treatment of them. The goal is for them to all stay in the fold and marry heterosexually, so as not to mess up the family in the afterlife, and be isolated for all eternity (LMFAO)

Posted by: Bob | Mar 15, 2013 4:49:31 PM

19. yeah. the last thing he'd want is for his kids to spent eternity being servants to Mormons, along with us other servants, you know, the Jews, the gays, the blacks, the non-Mormons.

*barf*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 15, 2013 4:53:32 PM

20. The dude's from Utah, so I'm not surprised at this at all.

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 15, 2013 4:54:09 PM

21. says a man that makes my gaydar go DING DING DING

Posted by: Moz's | Mar 15, 2013 4:57:55 PM

22. Love is in the comments again today. What if it goes "Civil Union?" Imagine the hissy fit. It's so comforting to have Kiwi's brillance to guide us through this uncertain period. Since Andy Towle prefers to be in hiding. Do you exist Towle?? Come out! -- literally.

Posted by: George | Mar 15, 2013 4:59:36 PM

23. I don't want to discriminate against them, but I just happen to believe that Mormons shouldn't be able to get married (to one or more people).

Posted by: graphicjack | Mar 15, 2013 5:53:50 PM

24. I assume the "journalist" asking the questions was too dim to immediately turn around and ask, "So that means you support anti-discrimination laws for gay people, right?"

Posted by: BobN | Mar 15, 2013 6:26:10 PM

25. His father is Gay Rights advocate/author John Chaffetz, so it doesn't seem like a huge leap to surmise that he's using public policy and the law to vent his familial resentments.

"I hate you, Daddy!"