Chick-fil-A | News

Chick-fil-A's Anti-Gay Donations Nearly Doubled in 2011

Dismiss anybody who tells you Chick-fil-A has turned over a new leaf.

Think Progress reports: Hate_chickfila

Most of the WinShape’s anti-LGBT giving in previous years went to groups like the Marriage & Family Foundation ($1,188,380 in 2010), the Fellowship Of Christian Athletes ($480,000 in 2010), and the National Christian Foundation ($247,500). Additionally, the group made small donations to the “ex-gay” group Exodus International ($1,000) and the hate group Family Research Council ($1,000).

In 2011, the group actually gave even more to anti-LGBT causes. Its contribution to the Marriage & Family Foundation jumped to $2,896,438 and it gave the same amount to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and National Christian Foundation as it had in 2010. In total, the anti-LGBT spending exceeded $3.6 million — almost double the $1.9 million from the year before.

The group gave nothing directly to Exodus International or FRC, but money made its way their through donations from the other groups that wouldn't have been possible without the WinShape donations.

In other words, 'Chikin' is more hateful than ever.

Comments

1. Not to nitpick, but wouldn't you want to examine their contributions from 2012?

Posted by: BZ | Mar 15, 2013 10:20:46 AM

2. BZ, good point. Unfortunately, they've just now released their IRS report for 2011 and have not yet released the 2012 report. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised (next year?) when they release their 2012 contributions information.

Posted by: RyanInWyo | Mar 15, 2013 10:36:31 AM

3. Why do we care about these people again? They are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Posted by: Anthony | Mar 15, 2013 11:07:33 AM

4. Oh come on, I support shaming people when shame is due (and of course this deserves scorn), but this whole Chic-fil-a scandal and backlash was in 2012

In 2015, when we get their 2013 financials and see that they still continue to give to these groups then we can be indignant and shocked.

Posted by: Brad | Mar 15, 2013 11:23:26 AM

5. I'm hoping it's having a tremendous effect. Some coworkers of mine (who know who I am) keep insinuating that I should give CFA a try. To which I say nothing and have no desire to eat there soon. Not that I ever ate there in the first place. But still..the fact they keep bothering me about it is telling me something.

Posted by: mickyflip | Mar 15, 2013 1:57:45 PM

6. I meant *we're not *it's. Apologies for my awful vocabulary.

Posted by: mickyflip | Mar 15, 2013 2:00:38 PM

7. I wonder if they'll continue giving money to Exodus after their apparent rebranding last year

Posted by: Ezam | Mar 15, 2013 2:31:07 PM

8. Their donations doubled in 2011. It is now 2013 - please don't base statements of current attitudes and actions on old news. If we find out that it went up or continued in 2012 and 2013 then that's something to scream about! Just sayin

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 15, 2013 2:37:01 PM

9. No poor-tasting fried chicken for me!

Posted by: TonyJazz | Mar 15, 2013 9:34:24 PM

10. If they've turned over such a dramatic "new leaf", then I'm sure they would be rushing to share with us their 2012 giving records.

Otherwise, I'll continue to dismiss them as the purveyor of fast food my homophobic trailer trash cousins would eat.

Posted by: homogenius | Mar 15, 2013 9:46:09 PM

11. Their CEO stated he has no plans to discontinue donating to anti gay groups. BOYCOTT THIS RESTAURANT IF YOU AHVE ANY SELF RESPECT and stand for equal rights!

Posted by: Ali Berzon | Mar 16, 2013 4:19:10 AM