CNN Contributor Roland Martin Leaving Network Because ‘New Boss Wants His Own Peeps’

CNN contributor Roland Martin, who was suspended last year over a series of homophobic tweets during the Super Bowl, one in which he mocked men who wear pink, and another in which he advocated violence toward men attracted to men (specifically, male fans of David Beckham), is being let go.

R_martinSaid Martin to a follower on Twitter,  "Yes, last day at @cnn is April 6," adding, to another, “new boss (Jeff Zucker) wants his own peeps".

Martin met with GLAAD over his anti-gay remarks in late February and after the questionably productive meeting issued a non-apology apology, touted his support for lifting the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy,gay adoption, and including gays in hate crimes laws, and then gave what might be perceived as a warning that he'd possibly be speaking out in ways that gays might not like in the future:

"I have no plan to abandon my goal as a truth teller on a variety of issues; and, yes, that includes those that may be on the LGBT agenda."

Comments

1. stranded says

Just when it seemed all hope was lost for CNN. Of course, this probably means he’ll be replaced by actual Peeps. Just in time for Easter.

Martin has a promising career waiting for him in Atlanta dinner theater though, so there’s that.

2. Bollux says

Maybe he can go back in time and get a gig on A Different World as a Black Studies professor. Look out, Jasmine Guy, Mr. Martin’s got some schoolin’ for you.

3. Brian in Texas says

Roland anchors a Sunday morning political show on TVOne so I think he’ll be alright.

Homophobia aside, his commentary was getting stale on CNN.

4. ChristopherM says

Aside from the fact that he’s a bigot, he is just plain dumb. Watching him on a round table discussion during elections was like watching your half wit 10-year-old cousin trying to hold a conversation at the adult table at Thanksgiving. Good riddance to he and his ascot.

5. HadenoughBS says

Martin’s just one of the many reasons I don’t watch CNN. So, I guess when he’s gone from the channel, I won’t even know it (or care).

6. Richard says

We shouldn’t worry too much about this blowhard — he’ll never again have such a high-profile media gig, and the wheels of history are rolling past him.

7. SoLeftImRight says

Ok, Mary. Nice ascot. I have no idea why anyone cares in the least what this guy has to say. Buh and bye.

8. Bob R says

Sorry, Roland, but the ascot just screams “piss elegant queen.” I bet you have a silk smoking jacket and monogrammed slippers at home, too.

Roland will be gone from CNN and soon forgotten. Maybe there’s a slot open at FOX, they’re always in the market for an conservative ethnic homophobe.

9. says

I’m somewhat shocked that someone so homophobic was working at a more liberal channel. In my opinion, this goes to show that even though a lot of people put up a front of acceptance and tolerance…deep down…a lot of people are truly not supportive. Just my opinion…

10. DannyEastVillage says

the new guys “wants his own peeps.” And evidently he doesn’t want them to be ignorant fools who can’t tell the time of day.

Well, it couldn’t happen to a more deserving s**tbag.

11. jmg says

Someone pointed out on a post awhile back about this doofus that his CNN profile has read for years “working on my Master’s”……So, now he’ll have more time.

12. gayalltheway says

Martin, since Michael Steele has been snatched up by NBC News, maybe Faux News is on the look out for a trophy African-American panelist/contributor/mouthpiece. You would fit right in!

13. Grover Underwood says

Faux still have Juan Williams and that more than fills their quota for African-Americans

14. millerbeach says

I am sure there are at least five other African-American GOP members, surely one of them will be able to handle the duties.

15. ALSChgo says

I love how Martin’s puny few supporters have no comeback other than “haters.” Really?! Is that the best you can offer in response to a hundred blistering, witty comments in the opposite direction?

You might as well go fart at a tornado, buckaroos.

16. lauren says

The same non-tolerant and homophobic sentiments you “haters” accuse R. Martin of harboring, you yourselves are so guilty of in terms of race relations. I realize on the surface it’s politically correct to say you accept everyone but in reality if truly tested you too would certainly fail because your racism is quite evident – yes I went there. Why was there no heated protest over the bigoted statements made by the son of the Chief of FDNY.

17. Junior says

Roland Martin is a disgusting, preachy, homophobic piece of filth. GLAD he was fired and hasn’t been seen since