Elizabeth Hasselbeck | News | The View

BigGayDeal.com

Elisabeth Hasselbeck's Right-Wing Chatter Got Her Canned from 'The View': Report

Like Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck is reportedly leaving The View. However, it may not be of her own volition.

HasselbeckUS Weekly reports:

According to the source, the show's resident conservative voice is being ousted after market research revealed that she isn't popular with TV audiences.

"The viewers they polled all said she was too extreme and right wing," the insider tells Us. "People did not watch the show because of Elisabeth. So they told her yesterday her contract would not be renewed."

When reached for comment, a rep for the show told Us in a statement: "Elisabeth Hasselbeck is a valued member of The View and has a long term contract."

Meanwhile, Brooke Shields is rumored to be joining the table.

Comments

1. Humm, they're right., I don't watch The View because of the crap that comes out of her mouth. I also just don't like the show.

Posted by: Adam | Mar 9, 2013 11:39:56 AM

2. It's not necessarily that she is conservative. But the way she goes about it. Her positions are stupid and just a rehash of the usual wingnut talking points.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 9, 2013 11:45:39 AM

3. exactly, Steve.

"different women, different points of view" - and yet hers seems to be nothing more than a regurgitation of the willfully-ignorant Faux News brand of nonsense. No particular insights, no depth, no understanding of nuance. Dixie Carter she certainly aint.

I've actually enjoyed this program over the years as they've brought some wonderful perspectives and dialogues into America's living rooms. But I'm a believer in responsibility to viewers; if you want a conservative female voice, get out that fine-toothed comb and find one of the few that's got integrity, and showcase her. Just because millions of people share someone's stupid and baseless opinions doesn't mean there's a free pass for those stupid and baseless opinions to be broadcast as valid. Heaven forbid we educate our audiences and expect them to grow.

Hasselbeck wouldn't be missed. Behar ....'j'adore. So what? Who Cares? I DO!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 9, 2013 11:57:16 AM

4. I agree with Kiwi & Steve.

There should be a counterweight, otherwise it mght as well be an afternoon show on MSNBC. But someone who is not just going to spew back talking points from Karl Rove.

Perhaps Peggy Noonan?

Posted by: chasmader | Mar 9, 2013 12:01:52 PM

5. I've been more offended by their guests... Billy O'Reilly and Donald Trump are on all the time (Nancy Grace, also annoying, but not on as much). I stopped watching because of them... If they want to improve the ratings, they need new bookers... I'm going to miss Joy!

Posted by: David | Mar 9, 2013 12:02:43 PM

6. An informed, rational opposing view is valuable, and that's what the VIEW was probably going for. However, Hasselbeck disagreed with everything despite the common ground between many issues. She was on autopilot.

Posted by: Boone68 | Mar 9, 2013 12:04:47 PM

7. I never cared for her, I just sort of tolerate her and don't think much about it. The one that bothers me is Sherri Shepherd. I think she is homophobic and doesn't even know it.

Posted by: Steve Pardue | Mar 9, 2013 12:06:52 PM

8. Like many others, I think Elisabeth is getting a raw deal. While I don't agree with her politics, I do respect her for being the sole conservative at the table. Without her the show will be boring. If I wanted peace and harmony I'd tune into that shiteous "The Talk" on CBS.

As for Brooke Shields, are you kidding me? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: shle896 | Mar 9, 2013 12:21:19 PM

9. What nonsense! Elizabeth Hasselbeck is "right-wing light" and is probably as inarticulate as it gets when expressingn her "conservative" viewpoints. Neither is she so intransigent in her right-wing punditry that she has been unreasonable. I don't watch The View all that often but I have watched it enough to know that Hasselbeck is a light-weight, intellectually and politically.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 9, 2013 12:21:48 PM

10. Based on what I've seen, Hasselbeck didn't have opinions, she had "talking points" which were issued to her and she faithfully parroted. That's not a "view," it's being a ventriloquist's dummy and there's no arguing with it because it's just a slogan or a bumper sticker, not informed opinion.

Posted by: Caliban | Mar 9, 2013 12:28:36 PM

11. I would have to say - and I cant beleive IM sayin this - but EH has actually toned down over the last 2-3yrs....I cant stand her per say - but she has gotten Less extreme to me - in my view anyways......Im a Moderate Liberal too.

Posted by: disgusted american | Mar 9, 2013 12:48:16 PM

12. EH has been better lately and has been an ally to the Gays. My complaint that it was not equal in diversity. They have 2 black hosts and when they have a guest host that is black, you get only 2 whites. where are the Asians or Latinos. We need the panel to be balanced and a few more serious journalists. Maybe Connie Chung or a Gay man?

Posted by: MK | Mar 9, 2013 1:06:17 PM

13. EH has been better lately and has been an ally to the Gays. My complaint that it was not equal in diversity. They have 2 black hosts and when they have a guest host that is black, you get only 2 whites. where are the Asians or Latinos. We need the panel to be balanced and a few more serious journalists. Maybe Connie Chung or a Gay man?

Posted by: MK | Mar 9, 2013 1:06:25 PM

14. I will be sooooooooooooo glad when they remove that arrogant one minded idiot that still thinks that George Bush and his gang will find WMD in Irac....are youkidding ABC has been sinking for many years and this woman plus the giggiling morons on GMA disgust me in every way possible..There are a lot of good openminded hosts available so get your heads out of the sand and look for them...GOODBYE to your sponsors and $$$$$$$

Posted by: billie martin | Mar 9, 2013 1:07:09 PM

15. Sherri shepherd is the one who should be going. I dont watch The View often, generally its only after watching a video on YouTube and one of the options at the end may be for The View & its title grabs my attention.
    To be honest I know nothing of her, what she does or why shes even on there but when she speaks up I just find her incredibly grating. Her opinions come across as childish, ignorant and religously outdated, to the point I switch over to watch something/anything else than her babbling on.
    And yes, Disgusted American, I too agree she has toned down somewhat from years ago.

Posted by: glebeboi | Mar 9, 2013 1:13:54 PM

16. Kirsty Ally and her Scient-illogical opinions will be much better, I'm sure. And Brooke Shields? Nothing against her personally, but hardly an intellectual giant.

Is that the demographic of The View? The lowest common denominator... for women?

Posted by: The View from Here | Mar 9, 2013 1:24:46 PM

17. People are forgetting Elisabeth Hasselbeck changed her stance on gay marriage. She's now for it and outspoken about it when gay rights came up. But people seem to forget that. They're still stuck in the past.
    I find Sherri to be more extreme than Elisabeth, and I feel Elisabeth's presence is important, just so we don't get the same viewpoint. That's what separates The View from The Talk.

Posted by: Chriso | Mar 9, 2013 1:34:56 PM

18. Bring Kathy Griffin on as a regular. Ann Romney is NOT a choice, please God. Deal with Miss Wawa, The View needs it badly. The show has been dead for the past five years.

Posted by: M.Scott Hernandez | Mar 9, 2013 1:39:45 PM

19. Hasselbeck was basically a watered-down Ann Coulter with a vagina. Good riddance to conservative rubbish. I might actually start watching if Brooke comes aboard.

Posted by: Firestorm | Mar 9, 2013 1:42:12 PM

20. Just shows you how far this country has really dropped away from the GOP brand of lunacy. The election loss was a harsh reality for most of the head in the sand repubs. When The View is even shifting away from this tarnished brand, then you know times have changed.

Posted by: greg | Mar 9, 2013 1:46:45 PM

21. They need a straight-forward down-to-earth person to fill Joyce's shoes. Somebody like Cyndi Lauper. And for a conservative replacement for Hasselback, how about Maggie Gallagher. That would be an interesting show. I'd like to see how Maggie handles being challenged by Whoopi day in and day out

Posted by: matt | Mar 9, 2013 2:33:22 PM

22. The problem with Hasselbeck isn't so much that she's a "conservative", it's that she's about as intelligent as a bowl of puppy chow. If she had actual opinions and the intelligence to discuss them like an adult, she might be worth watching, but she puts the dumb into blonde, day in and day out.

Posted by: Pete | Mar 9, 2013 2:48:47 PM

23. While Ms. Hasselbeck is a blond bubble-head of the first order, that's nonetheless a shame if true.

We've turned the public sphere into a popularity contest, rather than a place for spirited debate. Whatever side of the Punch & Judy show we call party politics you fall on, it's the same: no dissenting voices need apply.

We won't tolerate debate; we demand flattery. We fear being challenged and want only soothing media that celebrates our preconceptions and prejudices. it's too much work to argue, fairly and rationally, against ideas we oppose. It's so much easier to simply fire anyone whose opinions we don't enjoy.

Posted by: Bryan | Mar 9, 2013 2:50:56 PM

24. How did it take market researchers so long to figure this out?

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 9, 2013 2:51:08 PM

25. It's more than that she is an ignorant dipshit than a party line-toeing conservative puppet. Sherri Shepard is hardly intelligent or liberal but she is somewhat funny and slightly likable. Elizabeth is the airhead cheerleader that you immediately regret marrying. She has absolutely no thoughts or opinions of her own. She just parrots what she hears other neocons spew on the radio or TV. Hence why she has a huge future on Faux News bashing her ex-"gal pals" and the liberal media.

Posted by: Bollux | Mar 9, 2013 2:56:16 PM