Comments

1. ripper says

I wish he’d continue playing, even if he transferred to MLS where he’d be the only out player in a U.S. league.

But he seems to have put a lot of thought into it and has a good head on his shoulders, so kudos to him for following his own path.

2. KT says

Good for Rogers that he is happy with his life and his path.

The interview is a little sobering. When he came out and left football, everyone was hoping the two weren’t related. It seems like his fear of homophobia in soccer played a major role in him leaving. Even now, with all the support he received, he remains adamant that he couldn’t have come out while still actively playing. (Like many closeted people, many of the negative consequences he imagined about coming out did not come to fruition. His family and teammates were all supportive. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies – I was exactly the same way I have to admit).

He does leave a path open to returning but it seems he still fears there is a great homophobia problem that soccer needs to deal with.

3. Nene says

He is an insanely good looking (not really in this pic – but in others) masc acting 25 year old jock who is basically the wet dream of the entire gay community. Am I really supposed to feel sorry for him and his “inner conflict?” Virtually every gay man goes though the coming out issues he described, but only a tiny few look like he does – and that (given gay men’s superficiality) will make him queen bee of any gay social scene he is in for the next 50 years.

In conclusion – mm hmm, yes hunty I said it like it is – nah all you queens gon’ shoot me down while take my louboutins and walk away. Plonk.

4. Jay says

He wanted to play soccer. He didn’t want to be queen bee of any gay social scene. And I didn’t see him asking for pity. Empathy could be a useful skill to acquire, though.

5. David Hearne says

And which computer I use depends entirely on which room in my house I’m hiding in. Because my family whom I live with hates gay people, including myself. That’s why I always carry lots of guns.

6. Whatever says

He actually comes across a little weak and cowardly. Like someone mentioned, he’s a good looking, masculine guy playing a pretty intense sport..and he can’t “be bothered” fielding the tough questions???…so you get a little ribbing? big deal. You have been so blessed in many ways, yet you can’t bear any responsibility to help others. Ugh, another entitled queen who wants everyone to fall all over him because he’s pretty…yet when the going gets tough, he can’t take the heat. Please, take your pretty little life and move on already. This is why I have such respect for the gay boxer Orlando Cruz. Now, that’s a FIGHTER!! This kid, not so much. bye bye, “sweet thing”.

7. Jeff says

All you guys are incorrect about his reasons. He also had some pretty bad injuries.

So, there is nothing wrong with a desire to move on, and not deal with it anymore.

It is a rather short interview about a complex topic.

8. Nene says

Guys google Gareth Thomas…now that’s a hard core gay athlete! Gareth is tough as cast iron, carbon fiber reinforced titanium nails. He played rugby – didn’t come out though till later (he’s a little older too – 2013 is a lot different than 1998).

Btw to the poster “whatever” – I love you – thank you for understanding my point. The last time I posted something like that, people went nuts on me.

I didn’t get to live my dream – or my second dream, or my third one… and I don’t look that hot either (and the power of attractiveness in both gay and straight worlds is massive as the billion dollar cosmetic and plastic surgery industry can attest).

Why do we look up to athletes and cross our fingers that maybe one will be gay? Who cares? Personally, I look up to to guys that designed the ipod, created HIV meds (or fought for their creation) or wrote the code driving google search…athletes are put on way too high of a pedestal because…why again?