Arizona | Gay Marriage | News

GOP Senator Jeff Flake: Republican Presidential Candidate Who Supports Marriage Equality 'Inevitable': Video

Meetpress
GOP Arizona Senator Jeff Flake assured Chuck Todd on Meet The Press today that a Republican presidential candidate who supports marriage equality is "inevitable."

Flake also reiterated that he does not intend to change his personal view on marriage (that it is between one man and one woman) while he is in political office which means that he would clearly not be that accepting candidate if he ever decided to through his hat into the presidential ring.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Really? How many decades from now?

You pathetic Republicans can't even find a Presidential candidate who supports a woman's right to choose.

Giving up the anti-gay rhetoric means giving up on the GOP's base of bible-thumping bigots with no brains. Without anti-gay prejudice to play on, you'll have no way to convince those people to continue to vote for you, and thus against their own economic and healthcare interests.

and in large part gay republicans are to blame for all of this. since even anti-gay republicans claim to "have gay friends" we must therefore assume that those friends are "gay republicans" - and since those gay republicans are clearly such pathetic doormat wimps, we must come to the logical conclusion that their lousy representation of Gays is what makes the GOP continue to be anti-gay.

so, enjoy that.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 31, 2013 4:29:58 PM

2. You can endorse same-sex marriage all you want, GOP. I still won't vote for you. Changing your tune after decades of bigotry, just because you're losing elections is hypocritical at best and completely phony. Enjoy your slide into irrelevance.

Posted by: Brad | Mar 31, 2013 4:44:33 PM

3. Jeff Flake is a Mormon... so unlike Harry Reid, John Huntsman and other prominent Mormons to support Gay Marriage—Mr. Flake is sticking to church policy.

As someone raised in a Mormon family, I find this new take on the LDS churches "inclusiveness of gays" a good step as I think they are slowly trying to open the doors to the inevitable that Gays will be a non-issue soon in our society (just as race has generally become a non-issue). They will take baby steps as to not offend a huge portion of their membership, but not look like bigots 10 years from now. I think Mr. Flake's comments reflect that thinking. All of my siblings and friends that are Mormon could care less if someone is gay. So even within this church, the tide is shifting.

But it is still offensive to everyone until we have full equality, so in my opinion Mr. Flake needs to take a second look at the issue since he doesn't represent a church or a book of scripture. He represents a constituency that includes LGBT people who are currently second class citizens. He's still a bigot.

Posted by: wayne | Mar 31, 2013 4:46:01 PM

4. It's also inevitable that some day they will recognize that an African American can be president. Just not today.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 31, 2013 5:07:39 PM

5. The GOP don't give a crap about their voters, it is all about the donors and big money.

That is all!

Posted by: Ray | Mar 31, 2013 5:09:00 PM

6. "Um, yeah, um, so you mean only 38% don't support marriage equality? What? And you're saying the next presidential election isn't for another 3 years and by the, uh, that number could be closet to 20 something percent? Yeah, sure, I, uh, um, can see a, um, Republican nominee trying to get 80% of that voting segment. Sure!"

Posted by: Michael | Mar 31, 2013 5:09:18 PM

7. will they ever care about the poor? how about the homeless? the sick and needy? how about the victims of shootings and not the grown-adult cowards who, without a shred of intellectual discernment, demand their right to own semi-automatic assault rifles and armor-piercing bullets?

the idea that we gays would vote GOP "if they werent' so anti-gay" is preposterous.

the anti-gay bigotry is just the tip of the GOP's iceberg of wrongness.

simply put - most of us are just too darn informed to vote Republican.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 31, 2013 5:11:06 PM

8. Mike - on "inevitability," touche!

Posted by: KC | Mar 31, 2013 5:35:26 PM

9. To Wayne: As someone also raised LDS how can they possibly change their policy on homosexuality, when the whole theology is centered around the eternal nature of the heterosexual married couple and a continuation of procreation into the Celestial Kingdom? I just don't see how the church could possibly accept homosexuality without completely disavowing the heart of Mormon theology. Are they going to start doing gay sealings in the temple? Are they going to say that gays can go to the terrestrial Kingdom and should be happy with that? Or what? It is not going to happen. The brethren recently made it clear in the Deseret News (2 days ago) that they only support a marriage between a man and a woman, and the homophobia runs too deep in Mormonism, I'm afraid. They still won't allow masturbation, I highly doubt they will allow sodomy. They are still promoting reparative therapy, or finding the one woman who might turn on a gay man. Or the right man who will turn on a gay woman.

Posted by: Pedro | Mar 31, 2013 5:54:13 PM

10. To Wayne: As someone also raised LDS how can they possibly change their policy on homosexuality, when the whole theology is centered around the eternal nature of the heterosexual married couple and a continuation of procreation into the Celestial Kingdom? I just don't see how the church could possibly accept homosexuality without completely disavowing the heart of Mormon theology. Are they going to start doing gay sealings in the temple? Are they going to say that gays can go to the terrestrial Kingdom and should be happy with that? Or what? It is not going to happen. The brethren recently made it clear in the Deseret News (2 days ago) that they only support a marriage between a man and a woman, and the homophobia runs too deep in Mormonism, I'm afraid. They still won't allow masturbation, I highly doubt they will allow sodomy. They are still promoting reparative therapy, or finding the one woman who might turn on a gay man. Or the right man who will turn on a gay woman.

Posted by: Pedro | Mar 31, 2013 5:54:18 PM

11. Senator Flake's second cousin is openly gay.

Posted by: Merv | Mar 31, 2013 6:12:04 PM

12. thank you for that< Pedro.

it's been said before and should be said again - the only good mormon is an ex-mormon.

their pitiful attempt to "tolerate" gays, via celibacy and.uh...letting them since in that big@ss choir, is just a massive fail.

what does it mean to have "gay supporting" mormon friends and family? what is the extent of their support? because if it doesn't mean speaking out against the prejudices and illogical bigotries of the LDS then it's pretty darn weak.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 31, 2013 6:15:25 PM

13. Mike - You made me LOL! thanks for that.

Posted by: Rexford | Mar 31, 2013 6:43:51 PM

14. "To Wayne: As someone also raised LDS how can they possibly change their policy on homosexuality, when the whole theology is centered around the eternal nature of the heterosexual married couple and a continuation of procreation into the Celestial Kingdom?"

I think you underestimate the power of the Mormon Church to adapt if it's in the interest of the Mormon Church. Of course, they'll eventually get around to recognizing that gay people are family and can form families. The brilliance of Mormonism is that it co-opted the simple human need to belong to family.

I say this in sadness, as I think Mormonism is just the latest in a string of religions whose primary interest is its own secular power.

Posted by: BobN | Mar 31, 2013 7:08:41 PM

15. There are active Mormons in full support of equal civil rights for gender and orientation minorities. We just have to convince the rest of them.

Posted by: Sara Long | Mar 31, 2013 8:55:48 PM

16. **cough, cough**
    Fred Karger
    *cough*

As to a front-running candidate, that's a long way off and will only be after it's settled. There won't be any courageous stands.

Posted by: Daniel | Mar 31, 2013 9:07:40 PM

17. Religion is dangerous. I've been around hundreds of religious people, one more sketchy than the other. They are using the gay community as an outlet to release they prejudice and hatred.

Posted by: Lynel | Mar 31, 2013 9:45:20 PM

18. I would like to remind all of you that while they might not be the brightest people in the world, many of those Bible thumpers were loading trucks and on the way to help Katrina victims on their own time and money while "progressives" were still busy sitting around Democratic Underground trying to blame Katrina on Bush, the Klan, or some other boogeyman.

Y'all need to grow up a little.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 31, 2013 11:04:06 PM

19. Death is inevitable.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 31, 2013 11:39:49 PM

20. I'm not sure a Republican presidential candidate will actually have to SUPPORT SSM, but he or she will surely have to acknowledge that the country seems to be working toward making it legal. My guess is that future Republican candidates will claim that each state can decide the marriage issue for itself and that there doesn't need to be any national decision on marriage. DOMA will probably have been struck down by this time. But this "leave it to the states" stance is already a big improvemnent over supporting a constitutional amendment to make marriage one man-one woman, which is what most Republicans really still want.

I really believe that a lot of Republicans, particularly social conservatives, are longing for the gay marriage issue to disappear from out political life. They know their side is losing and don't want to prolong the fight. This loss is deeply embarassing for them. They'd like to move on to other issues.

Posted by: Mary | Mar 31, 2013 11:39:49 PM

21. The victory is even more embarassing, when all doesn't go as envisioned. The result will be noting to be proud of.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 31, 2013 11:42:42 PM

22. I'm a liberal but passionately for gay rights and LGBT rights. My question though is, why do my fellow liberals really want conservatives to be against LGBT? Is it partially a strategic tactic on your end to make sure LGBT are in lock step with democrats in the ballot? even knowing that Conservative support of our rights furthers our people?
    In other words, is advancing the democrat wish list more important than advancing the freedoms and rights of LGBT?
    And I know asking this will get me pegged as some GOProud homocon. But I don't think I even have a republican friend in my life, much less voting as one myself. But just a genuine curiosity on my part I thought was worth asking.

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 1, 2013 1:20:52 AM

23. I'm a liberal but passionately for gay rights and LGBT rights. My question though is, why do my fellow liberals really want conservatives to be against LGBT? Is it partially a strategic tactic on your end to make sure LGBT are in lock step with democrats in the ballot? even knowing that Conservative support of our rights furthers our people?

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 1, 2013 1:21:06 AM

24. Yeah, right. Like in 50 years (when all the "base" has finally kicked the bucket).

It's too little, too late.

Who cares anymore whether Republicans pronounce for marriage equality?

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 1, 2013 1:21:21 AM

25. Homosexuals purposely make bastards of children for their own selfish desires.

Posted by: Jean-Jacques Burlamaqui | Apr 1, 2013 2:15:44 AM