Lady Gaga | New York | News | Terry Richardson

BigGayDeal.com

Lady Gaga Surfaces in 24-Karat Gold Wheelchair

Gaga
(image terry's diary)

Lady Gaga was photographed by Terry Richardson out and about in NYC after her recent hip surgery.

In a 24-karat gold wheelchair.

MTV reports that Mordekai's Ken Borochov was commissioned to design the chair:

"I certainly wasn't expecting that phone call and have never done a wheelchair but am always up for a challenge and was thrilled to create what I affectionately dubbed the Chariot, a chair fit only for a queen," Ken said in an official statement.

Logically, Ken looked first to a throne for his inspiration. He then fashioned the Chariot from tufted calf leather, inspired by classic motorcycle jackets, adding a removable leather canopy that we REALLY want to get a look at. The wheels and hardware are 24-Karat gold plated. Maybe the craziest detail of all of this, the whole business had to be completed in a single week! Well done, Ken Borochov, well done.

Comments

1. If I ever did have any respect for her, I just lost any last vestiges of it. Stupid. Just completely, utterly stupid.

Posted by: ESA | Mar 12, 2013 1:28:04 PM

2. I hate her so much.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 12, 2013 1:31:18 PM

3. Wonder how many children in need could have been helped for the price of that chair?

Posted by: LiamB | Mar 12, 2013 1:33:32 PM

4. Hip surgery? Just how old IS this Madonna wannabe?

Posted by: anachro1 | Mar 12, 2013 1:34:42 PM

5. I do enjoy that whenever the Madonna v. Lady Gaga fanboys fought before, people would always remark that Madonna is old. She's going to break a hip. Ehem.

Also, Gaga is a moron. This is absurd. She is absurd.

Posted by: Wolfie | Mar 12, 2013 1:38:52 PM

6. Larry Flynt did it better.

Posted by: unruly | Mar 12, 2013 1:43:23 PM

7. "Well done" ? Does she know that there is still a recession going on right now? Success has gone to her head! What a shame!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Mar 12, 2013 1:48:09 PM

8. & that just blows any respect might have had for her

Posted by: Moz's | Mar 12, 2013 1:53:49 PM

9. Gaga must think that she is a member of the Catholic College of Cardinals.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 12, 2013 1:58:56 PM

10. What a terrific waste of money that could have gone to a worthy cause. I've lost all respect for Lady Gaga!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Mar 12, 2013 2:00:03 PM

11. Gold plating is not a big deal.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 12, 2013 2:00:55 PM

12. Damn, I was hoping it was red. I mean, really, isn't Gaga more of a red wheelchair kinda gal?

The black, that's just so last year. And really, gold... it should have been platinum and red, bright vermillion red.

Lots of money but zero taste.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 12, 2013 2:02:41 PM

13. As others have said, she could have just used a regular wheelchair and given that extra money to charity. She just lost me for the first time with this stunt.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 12, 2013 2:06:00 PM

14. Well, that's not obnoxious at all.

Posted by: Walt NYC | Mar 12, 2013 2:08:42 PM

15. As if celebrities don't spend money on fancy, overpriced dinners or an unnecessary number of cars. Gaga donated $1 million to the Hurricane Sandy relief immediately after the storm and was listed as one of the most charitable celebrities last year. Ignorance with these comments.

Posted by: Pie | Mar 12, 2013 2:09:13 PM

16. LG has done a fair amount of advocacy and charity work and I applaud her for that. If you're given a public voice, at least use it for good. I just wish it didn't seem to get balanced by this need to cultivate an image of excessive materialism. Maybe that's what the public wants, but I would think that using what it took to buy/make that chair to instead get a bunch of chairs for some poor people who can't afford new ones under Medicaid would be more appreciated by fans. Or maybe use her hip surgery experience to talk about how lucky she is to have good health care access when many don't. If you have enough money for something like this, then maybe it's time to ask yourself if you couldn't be doing even more, you know?

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 12, 2013 2:11:39 PM

17. Thomas - I seek to one day be able to emulate your sober truthfulness.

All good points. Even better - once Gaga has had that reflection, may the wealthy men in politics also have similar moments where they think about the plights of others.

because let's be real - she's a popstar. we should be more worried and concerned about multimillionaire politicians buying new houses and yachts and showhorses. *cough cough*

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 12, 2013 2:17:53 PM

18. A fitting god-mother for Elton John's son, no?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 12, 2013 2:24:02 PM

19. While I can't say I ever idolized her, and Bad Romance was a great song... this, however, is just silly.

Posted by: John | Mar 12, 2013 2:25:24 PM

20. LITTLE KIWI--Agreed. And watching the Cardinals today, as ANDREW said, is even worse.

Maybe it's that when I see evidence of empathy/charity/etc. in someone I hope it's genuine and that they keep on being a good role model about that stuff, because so few exist really--whether politicians, celebrities, religious leaders, etc.

Posted by: Thomas | Mar 12, 2013 2:37:44 PM

21. She's still in her 20's. She should not look like she's trying out for Sunset Boulevard.

Posted by: thatwasthen | Mar 12, 2013 2:48:53 PM

22. She is really starting to disgust me. I have to say it...Madonna was right.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 12, 2013 2:57:30 PM

23. Folks, it's not solid gold, it's gold leaf.

One ounce of gold makes about 300 square feet of gold leaf, and it looks to me like considerably less than one ounce of gold was used. The real cost is the work done by hand, applying the leaf sheet by sheet.

A booklet of gold leaf, a bit smaller than a postcard, holds 25 sheets for around $20.00.

And that's Gaga, maximum bling for minimum outlay.

BTW, I've never heard an entire song.

Posted by: Elsewhere | Mar 12, 2013 2:57:32 PM

24. Tacky.

Posted by: luminum | Mar 12, 2013 2:59:10 PM

25. Wow. What a bunch of bitter, back-stabbing bitches. This must the be "gay lifestyle" that we hear so much about lately.

I'm not a huge fan of Gaga, or Madonna for that matter, so my opinion comes not from a place of rabid loyalty but one of acknowledgement. Gaga has done a great deal to raise the level of acceptance for The Gays but, at the end of the day, she's a pop star. How do pop stars get our attention? They make a Sex/Coffee Table Book, or an S&M video, or they commission a gold wheelchair to be made so that people will talk about them. And talk we do. At least this fame wh@re has talent, unlike others who shall remain anonymous.

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 12, 2013 3:02:03 PM