Lady Gaga Surfaces in 24-Karat Gold Wheelchair

Gaga
(image terry's diary)

Lady Gaga was photographed by Terry Richardson out and about in NYC after her recent hip surgery.

In a 24-karat gold wheelchair.

MTV reports that Mordekai's Ken Borochov was commissioned to design the chair:

"I certainly wasn't expecting that phone call and have never done a wheelchair but am always up for a challenge and was thrilled to create what I affectionately dubbed the Chariot, a chair fit only for a queen," Ken said in an official statement.

Logically, Ken looked first to a throne for his inspiration. He then fashioned the Chariot from tufted calf leather, inspired by classic motorcycle jackets, adding a removable leather canopy that we REALLY want to get a look at. The wheels and hardware are 24-Karat gold plated. Maybe the craziest detail of all of this, the whole business had to be completed in a single week! Well done, Ken Borochov, well done.

Comments

1. says

If I ever did have any respect for her, I just lost any last vestiges of it. Stupid. Just completely, utterly stupid.

2. Wolfie says

I do enjoy that whenever the Madonna v. Lady Gaga fanboys fought before, people would always remark that Madonna is old. She’s going to break a hip. Ehem.

Also, Gaga is a moron. This is absurd. She is absurd.

3. iban4yesu says

“Well done” ? Does she know that there is still a recession going on right now? Success has gone to her head! What a shame!

4. JerzeeMike says

What a terrific waste of money that could have gone to a worthy cause. I’ve lost all respect for Lady Gaga!

5. johnny says

Damn, I was hoping it was red. I mean, really, isn’t Gaga more of a red wheelchair kinda gal?

The black, that’s just so last year. And really, gold… it should have been platinum and red, bright vermillion red.

Lots of money but zero taste.

6. Jack M says

As others have said, she could have just used a regular wheelchair and given that extra money to charity. She just lost me for the first time with this stunt.

7. Pie says

As if celebrities don’t spend money on fancy, overpriced dinners or an unnecessary number of cars. Gaga donated $1 million to the Hurricane Sandy relief immediately after the storm and was listed as one of the most charitable celebrities last year. Ignorance with these comments.

8. Thomas says

LG has done a fair amount of advocacy and charity work and I applaud her for that. If you’re given a public voice, at least use it for good. I just wish it didn’t seem to get balanced by this need to cultivate an image of excessive materialism. Maybe that’s what the public wants, but I would think that using what it took to buy/make that chair to instead get a bunch of chairs for some poor people who can’t afford new ones under Medicaid would be more appreciated by fans. Or maybe use her hip surgery experience to talk about how lucky she is to have good health care access when many don’t. If you have enough money for something like this, then maybe it’s time to ask yourself if you couldn’t be doing even more, you know?

9. says

Thomas – I seek to one day be able to emulate your sober truthfulness.

All good points. Even better – once Gaga has had that reflection, may the wealthy men in politics also have similar moments where they think about the plights of others.

because let’s be real – she’s a popstar. we should be more worried and concerned about multimillionaire politicians buying new houses and yachts and showhorses. *cough cough*

10. John says

While I can’t say I ever idolized her, and Bad Romance was a great song… this, however, is just silly.

11. Thomas says

LITTLE KIWI–Agreed. And watching the Cardinals today, as ANDREW said, is even worse.

Maybe it’s that when I see evidence of empathy/charity/etc. in someone I hope it’s genuine and that they keep on being a good role model about that stuff, because so few exist really–whether politicians, celebrities, religious leaders, etc.

12. thatwasthen says

She’s still in her 20’s. She should not look like she’s trying out for Sunset Boulevard.

13. Elsewhere says

Folks, it’s not solid gold, it’s gold leaf.

One ounce of gold makes about 300 square feet of gold leaf, and it looks to me like considerably less than one ounce of gold was used. The real cost is the work done by hand, applying the leaf sheet by sheet.

A booklet of gold leaf, a bit smaller than a postcard, holds 25 sheets for around $20.00.

And that’s Gaga, maximum bling for minimum outlay.

BTW, I’ve never heard an entire song.

14. Gigi says

Wow. What a bunch of bitter, back-stabbing bitches. This must the be “gay lifestyle” that we hear so much about lately.

I’m not a huge fan of Gaga, or Madonna for that matter, so my opinion comes not from a place of rabid loyalty but one of acknowledgement. Gaga has done a great deal to raise the level of acceptance for The Gays but, at the end of the day, she’s a pop star. How do pop stars get our attention? They make a Sex/Coffee Table Book, or an S&M video, or they commission a gold wheelchair to be made so that people will talk about them. And talk we do. At least this fame wh@re has talent, unlike others who shall remain anonymous.

15. Todd says

She IS Lady Gaga, she’s not just going to tool around in some medical supply house wheelchair. BESIDES, who’s to say she’s not going to auction off the wheelchair after, and donate the money to charity? Guess we didn’t think of that, hmm?

16. John says

Yes, it’s true that wealthy people spend ridiculous amounts on dinner at nice restaurants and spend millions on obscenely large homes without so much criticism. (Though sometimes they do; see, e.g., the documentary The Queen of Versailles).

But food and houses aren’t like wheelchairs. The level of ostentatiousness is much much higher. People can understand the added value of a larger home. People can understand the value of (presumably) better an fresher ingredients. But a gold wheelchair? The criticism comes from the fact that there is no obvious justifiable reason.

It’s similar to the sentiment people had about that $1000 I’m Rich app that did nothing that but display an image of a diamond. It’s just a flashy way of saying, “I betcha can’t do this!”

17. Jeff says

Enh… It’s her money, I figure she can do what she likes with it.
    She did, if you recall, donate $1 million to rebuilding NYC post-Sandy.

18. JamesInCA says

Wow. You could cut the self-righteous indignation with a gold-plated knife in here.

19. David Hearne says

I think she’s fabulous and it’s a wonderful stunt. As for what she could have done, this woman has probably donated more to charity than I have ever and will ever make.

20. David Hearne says

If I were to win the big lottery, I would buy a Toyota Land Cruiser. Yes, it’s wasteful and some might think pretentious, to buy a $75,000 vehicle. So what? If I have that kind of money, I’ll be employing people and paying huge taxes…. like Gaga does.

21. Charlie says

Gold is not a very sturdy metal. That’s why gold chains are typically not solid gold. 24 carat means solid gold, and that would collapse. So it has to be a gold plated item.

22. Thomas says

You know what is pathetic? Not Lady GaGa’s pimped out wheelchair. What is pathetic is the amount of gay men on this site who feel the need to say awful things about Lady GaGa in order to buck the assumption that all gay men love Lady GaGa.

The bottom line is, she has donated more money to LGBT charities then you ever will, and she has used her position in the spotlight to advocate for LGBT rights more then any of her peers. Surely that earns her a free pass when it comes to her over the top antics.

You don’t have to like her music or art, but at the very least I think she has earned our respect.

Carry on, vultures.

23. iban4yesu says

I didn’t know she had Lupus, too! In that case, she deserves a break and that prop is rather necessary for an entertainer like her, given the circumstances… Even though the timing is not ‘ideal’, with the recessions and all……Then, you don’t get ill on schedule….

24. greenfuzz says

Think I heard she’s gonna have it melted down into a gold easter egg to pop out of.

25. bonhomme says

I like Lady Gaga’s politics. She has been a great spokesperson for our cause. I am grateful for that. But I think she would have been better off giving that money to a good cause, like the Ali Forney Center (that was badly hit by Hurricane Sandy) for example, instead of this useless self-indulgence.

26. Jemini says

People on here are so salty and whiny. I’m not an LG fan but you don’t have to be a fan to be reasonable. If I was stuck in a wheelchair for an extended amount of time, I’d customize it too. Nothing as fancy as this because I don’t have the money but I’d make it something I liked. Hurt or not, she wants to roll around in style and she can’t have some hospital wheelchair cramping her style. Her aesthetic appeal doesn’t disappear because she isn’t as mobile. This woman has donates millions to a number of different charities and has always been an outspoken advocate. There is no reason that she can’t spend the rest of the money whoever she likes. She is charitable and doe seem nice. By all of your logic, none of us should ever splurge on any gifts for ourselves with money that we worked for. Next time you eat at a restaurant make sure to berate yourself because plenty of people are starving. Net time you go to buy a car of your choice, go buy a cheap one and then donate the rest to people that don’t have cars because you’d be being selfish. Next time to want to go buy a house, go find a shack by the side of the road and donate the rest of that money to families that can’t get homes.

Also, gold plating isn’t the same as solid gold. It is way less expensive. I could go out and get a few sheets of it and I’m a broke student. It just attaches to the other metal and makes it look nice.

27. jugomono says

This is just really tacky & I don’t understand what her statement is supposed to be here.

Yes it is her money to spend however she wants. But this display of over-consumption & wealth mocks people who are genuinely disabled and normally living on the financial edge. Anyone I’ve known who has required a wheelchair to get around (or lives with any other disability or illness) has usually been happy to be able to feed themselves & pay their bills each month & maybe go out for a beer or two at the end of it.

Anyone who says they do good but is so conspicious with their wealth just makes me think of the catholic church. If she’s really a good person she’ll make sure that wheelchair goes towards buying thousands for people who really need them.¬†

28. redball says

omg. those big-azz orthepedic flat (again: flat!) shoes? :-). My Queen, get better soon.

29. JH says

Just what I came to Towleroad for: mildly amusing news and vitriolic commentators. Keep it up, commenteriat!

30. Natali G. says

She’s just a Central Park West princess. She grew up in money, her family is part of the 1% and her parents are registered republicans. She did nothing for the gays except championing victimization and calling them monsters. She compared her ugliness to being gay. This wheelchair is just another proof that she’s just a rotten brat without any conscience at all. And about the Sandy donation she VOWED to give 1 milion dollars, WOVED. Who checked if she did in the end ? But she did make an announcement before VOWING to give.

31. Paul says

She’s great, she’s talented, she’s been great for the gay community and this is fun (it’s only gold-plated for Christ sakes!) Madonna fans can be so petty. ūüėČ

32. says

OMG!!!! What is wrong with her?!?!? How dare she spend her own money on something she wants for herself!!! Unbelievable!!! When I become a rich and famous pop star, I’m going to give every single cent I earn to those less fortunate than me!

33. Real says

The wheel chair cost nothing compared to the millions of dollars the Christian and Catholic Church spends stopping gay marriage and LGBT people everyday.

34. Katie says

She’s auctioning off the wheelchair for charity when she’s done with it, and she gives plenty of money to charity regardless. How much do you give?

35. seafoam says

i dont understand why everyone is so up in arms about this. it’s her money, she can do what she wants with it… and who is to say that she is going to keep this forever? this would get more than it’s worth at a charity auction, which celebrities often donate to. gaga is socially aware and philanthropic, have some faith guys.

36. Atlanta Guy says

Ten-to-one that after she’s on her feet, the thing will be auctioned off for far more than it cost to create, and that money will go to charity.

37. ron says

Not a fan,but this woman give’s give’s give’s more then any other star,and her mother is involved in giving her life to help other’s,i say good for her she deserves a little something for all her hard work.people and that whinning bith SHARON Osbourn need to get a life….