Morrissey | News | The Smiths

Morrissey Told to Retire from Music After Being Rushed to Hospital

Morrissey has been advised to retire from music after a series of serious health issues, MSN reports:

MorrisseyMorrissey tells Mexican radio station Reactor 105.7, "I had a very bad time. I had internal bleeding and I was rushed into hospital and I had lost a lot of blood. They tried to patch me together over the following five weeks but it didn't work. ... I was on lots of IV drips for almost five weeks, and each time it seemed as though I was back to robust health I would decline ... I had lost so much blood I had become anemic, but I'm still receiving ongoing treatment and I am very optimistic now.

"It almost became absurd the number of things that happened to me, but everything just attacked me at once. The double pneumonia -- everything was really a result of the fact I had lost so much blood, so the immune defenses were very, very low and couldn't cope with anything, so therefore the slightest gust of wind and I would have a terrible cold."

Morrissey is recovering in Mexico.

He added: "I have been cautioned to [retire], but it's difficult for me because it's very ingrained in me."

Comments

1. I know that Mexico is where I would want to be if I were terribly ill.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 22, 2013 10:41:57 AM

2. I know what he needs - a good steak and lobster dinner!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 22, 2013 11:14:45 AM

3. There's always a future on American Idol.

Posted by: anon | Mar 22, 2013 12:36:22 PM

4. For being such a 'healthy' eater, he is seemingly awfully sick. His immune defenses have apparently abandoned him.

Posted by: John | Mar 22, 2013 12:41:37 PM

5. Who is he?

Posted by: Bliss | Mar 22, 2013 1:15:11 PM

6. Bliss : He was pretty good as part of The Smiths but apparently has lost his mind since then.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 22, 2013 1:24:24 PM

7. I had a roommate who was a "vegan" and let me tell you he was always sick with one issue or another and good lord he was spending 100's of $$ a month on vitamins and supplements which he would shovel into his mouth DAILY.... give me a steak and potatoes anytime and i never get a cold.....

Posted by: aj | Mar 22, 2013 2:32:14 PM

8. C'mon, Morrissey has had a brilliant career, both with the Smiths and through several excellent solo records. He's got a big mouth, that's for sure, but I love his bomb-throwing even if I don't always agree with his politics. The thought of him as an American Idol judge - holy crap, that would be appointment television. Shade!

Posted by: Marty | Mar 22, 2013 2:45:56 PM

9. Who is this moke?

Posted by: Goodcarver | Mar 22, 2013 5:20:34 PM

10. "Who is this?"

A key figure in 20th-century gay entertainment history.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 22, 2013 5:36:59 PM

11. "Internal bleeding?" Why didn't he discuss a cause? Internal bleeding from organs into the abdominal cavity, or internal bleeding inside the stomach or intestines, which is way more likely. Also with endoscopy and colonoscopy and other tests the cause should be able to be found out. Celiac disease maybe? Bacterial infection causing ulcers? Maybe back in the UK National Health can figure it out, if no one has done the diagnosis already. Anyway acting like it's all a mystery caused by existential angst or something just doesn't fly.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 22, 2013 9:09:56 PM

12. From the first strains of "This Charming Man" to "Seasick yet still Docked" I have loved this man who spoke to me of my awkward attempts to love and be loved. My partner questions my devotion to this day and I tell him it was he who saved me from suicide in the 80's navigating the coming out process after two failed engagements.

Posted by: DC Arnold | Mar 23, 2013 10:57:49 PM