Football (American) | News | NFL | Rob Gronkowski | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

New England Patriot Rob Gronkowski Says Gay Player Would Be 'Another Teammate and Another Friend'

Gronkowski

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski tells Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco on ESPN Radio New York that he's fine with a gay player on the team:

"I got this question before, about a year ago, and I basically will say the same answer that I did a year ago. You've got to accept the player. Everyone has their own ways to live their life and as long as he's respecting me, keeping distance, respecting myself, I'll respect him back. If he's being a great teammate and he's a guy on the field doing a great job, well then you've got nothing to complain about. He's another teammate and another friend."

Asked if other players would respond the same way, Gronkowski adds:

"I never went around asking players on my team or in the NFL, 'Hey, what would you think if someone on our team is gay? How would you take it?' I never thought of that, and never asked anyone that and never tried to find out if there is [a gay player] on the team. If someone is on my team and they are a great teammate and a great player on the field, helping the team win -- that's all you've got to ask for."

Comments

1. As we all know, if a straight man is secure in his masculinity, gay men are not a threat to him. It's easy to tell who is mature and who is not.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 29, 2013 11:14:55 AM

2. Not to be immature, but he is really hot!

Posted by: Fahd | Mar 29, 2013 11:18:35 AM

3. @Fahd. That's IS very immature. But... you're right; he is.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 29, 2013 11:27:32 AM

4. He seems like a great guy, like the 95% of my friends who are straight. Too bad I throw like crap.

And yes, he is pretty easy on the eyes.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 29, 2013 11:27:45 AM

5. "Keeping distancing"? So close, and yet not quite there. His response is better than some players, but he is definitely not an ally like Brendon Ayanbadejo, Chris Kluwe, Ben Cohen, Scott Fujita, and Hudson Taylor.

I certainly hope we see a gay player come out soon. It would be a wonderful way to bridge the divide between gay men and straight men. Sports have a way of bringing people together.

Posted by: joeyhegele | Mar 29, 2013 11:28:05 AM

6. "keeping distance"?! Another moron.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 29, 2013 11:37:29 AM

7. It's disappointing to me that Gronk inserted that phrase 'keeping distance', mainly because I'd like nothing more than to throw myself at him.

But really, all you queens who are criticizing him need to lay off. His comment about 'keeping distance' was clearly a way of saying 'So long as he's respecting me, I'll respect him'. Gronk is and has been a friend to our community. We need to embrace him as such and let him off the hook for being a tad ineloquent in this instance.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 29, 2013 12:06:28 PM

8. My favorite position in football: tight end. Gronk's OK as an ally. Pretty good tight end, too. A real team player.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 29, 2013 12:14:57 PM

9. I agree the "keeping distance" remark is a disappointment. But I still think Gronkowski's cool and have had the hots for him ever since he told a Univ. of Rhode Island audience "I would eff Tebow to take his virginity."

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 29, 2013 12:15:34 PM

10. I agree the "keeping distance" remark is a disappointment. But I still think Gronkowski's cool and have had the hots for him ever since he told a Univ. of Rhode Island audience "I would eff Tebow to take his virginity."

Posted by: MichaelJ | Mar 29, 2013 12:15:35 PM

11. I guess it's a sign of progress that a guy with his wide appeal and large following in the NFL can say something slightly inartful but supportive and the gay knives come out to slice him up. I get it. Hell, I'm gay and I want guys to keep their distance from me in the locker room.

Posted by: Pats fan | Mar 29, 2013 12:22:22 PM

12. I was going to say the same, joeyhegele. Keeping distance? So basically, I'm cool with a gay player, as long as he keeps his gayness away from me. Respect my "space" and don't come too close to me and we're totally cool. That's conditional acceptance. So, not the best of answers. But it's fair enough and better than most players who respond to this issue.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2013 12:27:15 PM

13. Keeping distance = I think he meant "As long as he's not hitting on me or making overt signs that he wants sex with me, I'm OK".

And the same goes for straight-questioning guys and gay guys in the bars or parties that seem to think it's OK to grope anything with balls. I don't like being pawed at either, so I'm OK with what he said. Yep, I don't like my personal space violated either - by men or women.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 29, 2013 12:37:53 PM

14. Honestly, it's fair, what he said was fair. But that's a pretty bad misstep to say essentially that as long as a gay player keeps his gayness away from me, it's totally fine. We all know if someone not connected in sports would make a similar comment that there wouldn't be the same positive reaction. If someone said "as long as they don't hit on me", lets say an actor.....hell, if Rob himself said that exact phrase, there would be backlash.

He said he's OK with a gay player as long as he basically stays away from me. That's conditional acceptance. It is what it is but we should take what we can get so I am.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2013 12:49:01 PM

15. The Keeping distance comment made me immediately dismiss him and his views. Men like this are not allies he doesnt care if we are gay as long as we arent around him when we are or we arent being gay when hes around.

To hell with guys like him he even looks braindead by his picture good looking or not if you dont have respect for me as a human being and respect my ability and right to love the person I want to love then I dont give a crap about what you think period.

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 29, 2013 12:50:18 PM

16. I tweeted this moron men like him are the reason gay kids take their lives. Ya know the typical macho ones who think there is something wrong with them and dont want them to INFECT them .

Pathetic macho primitive men.

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 29, 2013 12:55:51 PM

17. @Francis conditional acceptance is not full acceptance so no we shouldnt take what we can get from guys like this.

Comments like his only hurt this community making it look like we can infect someone if we get close to them due to their pathetic fragile masculinity.

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 29, 2013 12:57:53 PM

18. It's disappointing to me that Gronk inserted that phrase 'keeping distance', mainly because I'd like nothing more than to throw myself at him.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2013/03/new-england-patriot-rob-gronkowski-says-gay-player-would-be-another-teammate-and-another-friend.html#ixzz2OwtsGdUh

Dude stfu gay dudes like you are the main problem with this community calling people queens fags etc... No different then any other bigot just some arrogant dude incapable of respecting a differing opinion then yours.

Be gullible and naive your whole lives I wont stop you but its easy to know who is and isnt an ally and Rob is not one of them.

His comment was divisive ignorant and stupid flat out.

Posted by: Kenny | Mar 29, 2013 1:01:00 PM

19. All men are capable of same-sex behavior. However, most men are politically opposed to it because such behavior offends women.

Posted by: rise | Mar 29, 2013 1:34:45 PM

20. 'keeping distance' ... meh.
    Gronk is a gay rights supporter. This is his way of putting it out there that he's just not looking to play grab ass in the locker room. (Perhaps he got a bit too much blowback from saying he'd bone Tebow.)

Posted by: JONES | Mar 29, 2013 1:36:50 PM

21. The "keeping his distance" comment is unfortunate. What he and probably most straight men don't realize that gay men and straight men have been getting naked together for thousands of years. In rivers and lakes, in Roman and Greek baths, and in sports locker rooms and gyms all over the world. It's not a big deal and it's been hapenning for a long time now.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 29, 2013 1:48:02 PM

22. As most Patriots fans know already, Gronk isn't the brightest bulb in the lot, so I think he can get a pass on his specificlanguage. The general sentiment is on target even if one phrase was off-putting.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 29, 2013 1:57:14 PM

23. He wouldn't mind gay players. He knows he'd be their eye candy --after Brady of course..

Posted by: Jim | Mar 29, 2013 2:27:20 PM

24. Have you seen this fool dance? Eek--there is a video somewhere in it where he is dancing. Terrible. The "keeping distance" comment was weird.

Posted by: Nat | Mar 29, 2013 2:35:00 PM

25. He's goofy sexy, but he'd have no problem getting anyone here off.

Posted by: Jim | Mar 29, 2013 2:39:08 PM