BigGayDeal.com

News: Brooklyn, Mellencamp, Effie Trinkett, George Washington U.

RoadMixner: No Nobel Prize for homophobes. "You really can't be an advocate for a peaceful world and hate a huge number of its citizens. The time has come for a change in Oslo."

MardiRoadPhotos from the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras here and here.

RoadChubby Batman turns in thief in England.

RoadGreat White Shark successfully tagged and released off Jacksonville, Florida. "The female shark, which the Ocearch crew named Lydia, was put back in the ocean after scientists took blood and tissue samples and installed four tracking devices meant to record the animal’s travel through satellite tracking and undersea acoustic monitors."

RoadBradley Cooper doesn't want an Oscar.

RoadGeorge Washington University frat brothers to don drag for The Trevor Project: “It’s to support, whether they’re out or not, the LGBT members of our community,” Interfraternity Council President Casey Wood said. “And I think it’s a great way to embrace that no matter where you come from or who you are, there’s always a place in Greek life for you.”

RoadA ripped Liev Schreiber goes surfing in Malibu.

RoadMale model fix: Adam Nicklas.

BrooklynRoadThe new Brooklyn waterfront? "Soon, the Domino Sugar Factory will be a virtual forest of gleaming new condos and office buildings including not just one, but two huge towers with with holes in the middle of them."

RoadNo gay wedding boom anticipated in Maine: "About 2,360 same-sex couples were married in Massachusetts the first month alone after its gay-marriage law went into effect in 2004, according to the Boston-based Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders organization. In contrast, about 150 gay couples have exchanged vows in Maine since same-sex marriage became legal Dec. 29. While the new law has given hotels, photographers, florists and others a boost, many say they're not anticipating a bonanza from same-same couples right off the bat, but still expect the gay marriage business to grow in the years ahead."

RoadYoung gay man details escape from abusive Christian family: "At 9:00am that morning, everything was set. I was even able to set my computer, my clothes, and several of my other personal belongings outside on the porch without my parents even noticing. I was sitting in the living room trying to relax when they arrived. I felt my stomach drop when they did, as I feared my parents would notice. However, my dad was in the shower, and my mother smoking in the basement. They didn’t realize a thing until we had loaded everything into the car and I was 20 miles away. We drove for three days straight to Salem, Oregon."

RoadIt's a new promo image of Effie Trinkett from Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

MellencampRoadJohn Mellencamp's nephew is a Diesel model.

RoadSydney, Australia wants to keep its rainbow crosswalk: "Lesbians and gay men were beaten and bashed on Oxford Street in 1978, and homophobic violence was rife for years. To now have our flag on our street celebrates how far we have come and is a tribute to the battles we have won. The crossing will be a major tourist attraction and bring new life to Oxford Street. It is a colourful piece of public art as well."

RoadSignorile on hypocrisy and Catholic priests: "In the case of Cardinal O'Brien, it's not just the men he allegedly abused who were the victims but millions around the world who are subject to the Catholic Church's hypocritical and virulent verbal attacks on LGBT people."

RoadQuebec launches anti-homophobia campaign: "The ads may shock some with candid displays of affection, the goal of which is to encourage debate about sexual diversity. The government recently conducted a phone survey of 800 Quebecers where 90 per cent said they had no issue with homosexuality. However, the survey found some 40 per cent of the province still feels uncomfortable when two men or two women are affectionate in public. According to Bertrand St-Arnaud, the campaign may be shocking to some, but according to the minister responsible for the fight against homophobia, that's the point."

Comments

1. As a GW alum and former frat boy (while closeted), I'm really impressed with the Greek program at my alma mater. Definitely more liberal and open-minded than they used to be...

Posted by: Larry | Mar 4, 2013 3:05:37 PM

2. RE: Batman.

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes.

What is essential is invisible to the eye.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 4, 2013 3:12:44 PM

3. How about the Nobel committe select award somebody/an organization that is working specifically to help/advocate for the rights of LGBT people? They've never done that.

Posted by: Joseph | Mar 4, 2013 4:12:08 PM

4. Regarding the kid who escaped from his abusive Christian family, one thing in the interview really gives me pause. He talks about his boyfriend and then, at the end, says that he's never actually met this person that he calls his boyfriend. Now, I understand grasping for whatever straws you can when you're in a bad situation, how can someone call another person his "boyfriend" when they have not even met in person? I fear this kid is in for a shock and I hope that he has some outlet for counseling as he builds a new life for himself.

Posted by: Jere | Mar 4, 2013 5:00:47 PM

5. public display of affection (kissing, caressing), gay OR straight, makes me uncomfortable. sorta makes me feel like i'm an unwilling voyeur. holding hands or arm over mate's shoulder, i have no problem with.

Posted by: Peggy | Mar 4, 2013 6:13:01 PM

6. Good for you, Peggy. I guess.

Posted by: MateoM | Mar 4, 2013 6:50:19 PM

7. John Mellencamp's nephew isn't especially good looking, or that photo is not flattering.

They should make the buildings 8-shaped, then they can be used to create numbers and letters like digital clocks.

Posted by: anon | Mar 4, 2013 7:16:56 PM

8. This thread serves to notice that some people cannot be satisfied.

Frank Ocean said he cried for hours after writing what he did in his tumblr page. He has said it was the most difficult, scary and exhilarating thing he's ever done. So yeah, he came out. And he's come out again several times after in interview after interview where he's progressively discussing his sexuality and homophobia in the urban music scene more and more.

Frank came out when his career was JUST getting hot and he is now one of the worldwide most notable, best selling artists who just won a Grammy. Do not take for granted the barriers Frank Ocean has broken for us and be thankful for it and for him.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 5, 2013 3:46:15 AM

9. Peggy,
    No one needs your approavl when wanting to display affection with their partner. You clown only bring up your "I take issue with public displays of affection" when its a gay couple at hand. I WILL HOLD MY BOYFRIENDS HAND IN PUBLIC. I'm proud to be in a relationship with him and we're both proud to be out of the closet. I didn't come out of the closet to hide back in it in public. It's through seeing our relationships as normal that people grasp that being for gay marriage is a good thing.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 5, 2013 4:21:37 AM

10. @Peggy
    who asked you? mind your own business. And I sincerely wish more gay couples WOULD show appropriate public display of affection or at least hold hands. It would really do a great deal in exposing the world that we exist, and are in love, and aren't any different than the hundreds of other hetero couples we all see holding hands every day.

Posted by: BamaMan | Mar 5, 2013 4:24:11 AM