Fallon Fox | MMA | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

Pro MMA Fighter Fallon Fox: I'm Trans

Fox

Professional MMA fighter Fallon Fox is being forced out of the closet as trans, she tells Outsports:

"For years I've known at some point it's very likely the shoe would drop," Fox told Outsports in a phone interview Tuesday. "Maybe someone would guess that I'm trans. Maybe they would know me from my life before I transitioned. I've been waiting for that phone call to happen. And Saturday night, it happened."

Fox was at dinner celebrating a victory when a call came through. It was from a reporter who asked probing questions that clearly lead to one conclusion: The reporter knew Fox's secret past. Within 48 hours she got a call from a former trainer who had been interviewed by the same reporter with the same questions. The secret of Fallon Fox was about to come out.

"These past six years, people have seen me as a woman, not a transsexual," she said. "People in the gym, people I train with, it's been great, it's been awesome. I'm just a woman to them. I don't want that to go away. It's unfortunate that it has to."

Read the full story here.

Comments

1. Well, it's not actually unfortunate, Fallon. Now you can help inspire other young people in similar situations to see that they too can become the change that you've been.

It's a good thing.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2013 5:54:01 PM

2. I'm sure her biggest regret will be that now the MMA community will undoubtedly rail against her for keeping this secret when all this time she has had an unfair advantage against the women she fights, having the body and musculature of a man.

Posted by: Shawn | Mar 6, 2013 6:02:07 PM

3. there are women with XX chromosomes that have the body and musculature of men and there are women with a lot of naturally high testosterone levels and masculine features.

Sex is not the dichotomy people make it out to be, more like a scatter plot of phenotypes with some more dense groupings around two areas

Posted by: MaddM@ | Mar 6, 2013 6:21:42 PM

4. No sure how I feel about a trans M2F MMA fighter.

Posted by: Billy | Mar 6, 2013 6:58:59 PM

5. "look-a like-a man" --Ms. Swan (MADtv)

Posted by: WebHyrid | Mar 6, 2013 7:06:47 PM

6. To forestall the inevitable:
    Male musculature is lost when transitioning to female. After two years of hormones, trans women's muscles are at or below female normal (can go even lower due to having lower testosterone than female normal). The skeletal system remains, but it's male-normal bones with female-normal muscles. Since you're trying to push male-sized bones with female muscles, you're fighting your own weight more than a woman who has a balanced bone-to-muscle ratio. Yes, there are some advantages, like reach, but the IOC has determined that trans women who have undergone more than two continuous years of hormone therapy are OK to play tennis, and I cannot imagine that reach or height are more advantageous in MMA fighting than they are in tennis.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Mar 6, 2013 7:27:20 PM

7. To forestall the inevitable:

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Mar 6, 2013 7:27:22 PM

8. Donna, god bless you for your facts and insight. And apologies in advance for the misery that the useless gutless trolls will throw your way for your daring to use rationality.

loves ya.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 6, 2013 7:31:30 PM

9. Donna - thanks for the interesting info. It's sad she didn't feel comfortable coming out as trans earlier. MMA seems to be a surprising hotspot for lgbti folk.

To echo Kiwi - sorry about the trolls, but be prepared!

Posted by: elegir | Mar 7, 2013 1:54:12 AM

10. "Transwomen" often take advantage of women. This is no different. As a gay man, I stand with women. As for DrDonna, who apologizes for everything trans activists do, including violence and threats directed against lesbians and gays, she should be ashamed of herself. In this case, it is obvious that this person has male muscles. If it is true that artificial hormones can reduce the muscles, maybe she isn't taking her full dosage.

Posted by: Tami | Mar 7, 2013 2:32:48 AM

11. I can wrap my head around trans people.

I can wrap my head around MMA fighting (though I am not fond of the promotion of violence)

I can even wrap my head around female fighters.

It's the total combo I'm having trouble coming to terms with.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 7, 2013 8:43:55 AM

12. @Tami: I have never condoned violence, and you are lying about that because you have no real logical or fact-based response. I challenge you to provide a link where I do the things you claim. While you're at it, why not explain what you mean about trans women taking advantage of women, with links to evidence? I have a feeling you can't because there isn't any proof of that either.

In this specific case, she doesn't have any more muscle than any of the other fighters. Once sex confirmation surgery has occurred, a trans woman's body has no more naturally occurring testosterone than any other woman's. The only hormones such a woman has to take are estrogen, and even if she left off on those she would not have any more testosterone: the parts that produce male quantities of testosterone (the testes) are gone.

So try, try again, come up with some other easily disproven lie. Every time you do so you demonstrate your own bigotry even further.

Posted by: TheDrDonna | Mar 7, 2013 11:21:42 AM

13. DrDonna, "Tami" here is that "Bill Perdue" troll from last time; still insisting that Transpeople are violent offenders we all need to be scared of. Ignore. And keep up your the good work; your presence is appreciated.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 7, 2013 11:26:39 AM

14. All comment made by the trool little kiwi to the effect that I'm anti-trans are lies. Some one hacked Facebook account and used my name to sign in. I never sign in from facebook.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | May 6, 2013 2:45:33 AM

15. I've asked Towleroad to ban little kiwi or the IP these false lobins come from.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | May 6, 2013 2:47:26 AM