"Ex-Gays" | Jacob Rudolph | New Jersey | News

NJ Teen Who Came Out at School Assembly Begs Lawmakers to Ban Harmful 'Ex-Gay' Therapy: VIDEO

Rudolph

As I reported yesterday, New Jersey is considering a bill that would ban so-called gay conversion therapy and held hearings before the Senate Health Committee.The bill, S2278, would ban licensed therapists from trying to turn gay kids straight. The committee advanced the bill in a 7-1 vote.

Among those testifying was Parsippany high school senior Jacob Rudolph, whose speech coming out to his entire class at an awards show assembly went viral on YouTube in January.

Said Rudoph to the panel in a powerful speech:

“What disturbs me the most is that our government would allow orientation-conversion organizations to subject children to such so-called therapy. It is hard enough for LGBT teens to accept that their sexual orientation differentiates them from their classmates. Consequentially, I cannot fathom how emotionally scarring it must be for these kids to be told they are somehow broken and are then manipulated to reject their innate sexual preference and ‘become’ heterosexual again. What strikes me as the most cruel facet of this practice is that these young people cannot defend themselves from being subjected to this harmful practice.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Jacob
    way to go young man
    I and every other man and woman who has walked that path salute you. Keep brave and keep strong. You have got such an amazing life in front of you. Rees Cramer

Posted by: Rees Cramer | Mar 19, 2013 6:25:45 PM

2. It's The BLT Kid!! Good on you!

Posted by: AJ | Mar 19, 2013 6:33:42 PM

3. What a great kid. I got pretty lucky in high school almost 20 years ago. Everyone knew I was gay and not many people seemed to care.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 19, 2013 7:01:56 PM

4. Phenominally impressive

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 19, 2013 7:24:34 PM

5. Great job.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 19, 2013 7:36:17 PM

6. Yes, he did a terrific job testifying.

He's seems to already have an inkling that he's actually more gay than bisexual. His reference to depriving his parents of grandchildren hints that he doesn't really envision a wife in his future. But I certainly don't begrudge a teenager a transitional bisexual identity.

Posted by: Skeptical Cicada | Mar 19, 2013 8:06:38 PM

7. Great job Jacob. You sure are a bright and articulate young man.

Posted by: andrew | Mar 19, 2013 9:48:45 PM

8. @Skeptical Cicada:

Bisexual people are real. They exist. If he says he is bi, who the hell are you to question him? His whole point is that it is wrong when teens are not allowed to form their own identities and instead have to deal with interlopers trying to change them. So don't go changing him.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 19, 2013 10:40:59 PM

9. Knowing that he is bi, it makes it easier to understand why he would choose to use that ridiculous "LGBT" terminology.

He should just go with LGB. LGB is a legitimate concept because it encompasses people who are same-sex attracted and nothing else. LGBT makes absolutely no logical sense, as it lumps same-sex oriented people in with millions of heterosexuals who have gender issues, crossdressing fetishes and hermaphroditism.

Posted by: Tara | Mar 19, 2013 10:58:09 PM

10. Sam needs a sedative.

"Bisexual people are real. They exist." No kidding. Really? Funny how I didn't say otherwise.

"If he says he is bi, who the hell are you to question him?" I'm the hell a gay man who knows how many gay men initially the hell self-identify as bi. Those gay men are real. They exist. If Sam needs them not to exist, that's his the hell problem.

"His whole point is that it is wrong when teens are not allowed to form their own identities...." He appears to be forming his own identity. I'm listening to everything he's saying, not just hearing one word and locking him into a rigid category. I wonder if Sam reacts just as rigidly when a teenager says he's "straight" but gives indications otherwise. As I pointed out, Jacob doesn't sound like he's ever really envisioning himself ending up with a wife. Sam prefers to ignore that part of what Jacob said because it doesn't fit the rigid category Sam wants to lock him into.

"instead have to deal with interlopers trying to change them. So don't go changing him." Funny how I didn't say anything about "changing" him. I wondered whether his identity might evolve, as with so many other young gay men who initially identify as bisexual. It appears to be Sam who, having once heard the word "bisexual," is adamant that Jacob be irrevocably locked into that identity category for life, as if Sam were burning an ownership brand into him.

Posted by: Skeptical Cicada | Mar 19, 2013 11:29:05 PM

11. This sweetie has no business having to get up in front of anyone anywhere anytime and explain his sexuality. He's exactly wonderful right where and as he is. Our definitions are killing us.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 20, 2013 2:53:34 AM

12. can someone send a memo that "preference" should be excised from the self defence style book?

Posted by: mikeflower | Mar 20, 2013 3:41:41 AM

13. He should have gotten another standing ovation for that.

Posted by: Hunter | Mar 20, 2013 8:01:26 AM

14. Why do "straight" people seek to "fix" "broken" gays? What is their horrendous malfunction? They're the ones who need fixing... shock therapy maybe?

Posted by: Onnyjay | Mar 20, 2013 12:54:32 PM

15. I contacted zukutempleofsolution@gmail.com in regards of my lover. He no longer wanted to associate with me anymore. He was interested in working out his marriage, after begging and pleading with him I realized it was out of my hands, he really was leaving me. My co-worker went through a similar situation and told me thatzukutempleofsolution@gmail.com had helped her. I can't say how much I'm grateful she introduced me to the temple. After discussing the resolution with the temple, his get your lover back spell has done more than what I expected. My lover not only came back to me, but has left his wife and now was engaged, we are getting married next month, I don't know what I would have done without zukutempleofsolution@gmail.com. I believe zukutempleofsolution@gmail.com are my guardian varon, canada

Posted by: varon | Apr 3, 2013 11:47:06 PM

16. I contacted zukutempleofsolution@gmail.com in regards of my lover. He no longer wanted to associate with me anymore. He was interested in working out his marriage, after begging and pleading with him I realized it was out of my hands, he really was leaving me. My co-worker went through a similar situation and told me thatzukutempleofsolution@gmail.com had helped her. I can't say how much I'm grateful she introduced me to the temple. After discussing the resolution with the temple, his get your lover back spell has done more than what I expected. My lover not only came back to me, but has left his wife and now was engaged, we are getting married next month, I don't know what I would have done without zukutempleofsolution@gmail.com. I believe zukutempleofsolution@gmail.com are my guardian varon, canada

Posted by: varon | Apr 3, 2013 11:47:17 PM