Canada | Gay Media | News | Toronto

BigGayDeal.com

Toronto's Fab 'Gay Scene Magazine' Closes Up Shop

Fab

Toronto's bi-weekly "Gay Scene Magazine" is closing, Now Toronto reports:

“I’m pretty devastated,” editor Phil Villeneuve told NOW over the phone. “Next year would have been 20 years. It would have been great to make it one more year.”

Villeneuve says the decision stems from larger restructuring efforts at Pink Triangle Press, which purchased Fab in February 2008, and who also publishes Xtra!. The decision the cease publication of Fab was “purely financial,” says Villenueve, and comes along with layoffs across several departments at Pink Triangle.

For now, let's revisit their 'Sexy Beards' video HERE.

Comments

1. this is a sad day for our community in Toronto and across Canada. I recall when I had my queer radio show at Lakehead University radio in Thunder Bay Ontario, I did a weekly segment on gay media in Canada and Fab always made it on the air. Over the years it became a great way to see my friends get caught having sexy fun at Toronto's gay clubs and events. R.I.P. Fab. quel dommage.

Posted by: Gavin | Mar 13, 2013 8:45:32 AM

2. aw. it was one of the few gay rags to have actual sociopolitical and QUEER content. you picked up a magazine and you'd find out not only what was going on in the city, but what NEEDED to be going on in the larger communities.

you'll be missed.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 13, 2013 9:52:31 AM

3. Xtra is so bad, I wish they would switch their decision

Posted by: Carl | Mar 13, 2013 10:47:37 AM

4. Fab struggled recently with editorial changes but seemed to be getting into its new groove, its sad that it'll no longer be around to put its fabulous spotlight on queer Toronto. The rest of our options are so politically correct, so focussed on home decorating and planning the perfect wedding, so boring...

Posted by: dumbnhung | Mar 13, 2013 10:58:34 AM

5. It is a bit disappointing -- but with the "daily" expansion of Xtra's website that's in the works for later this year, it was probably inevitable that something over there was going to give.

Unlike Carl, though, I don't see Xtra as somehow being the *more* dispensable of the two publications if it really had to be one or the other -- although they served different niches, and thus weren't really directly cannibalizing each other, I can't provide *any* coherent explanation for why our community's needs would ever actually be "fab but not Xtra". Neither publication was perfect, but Xtra at least tries to actually cover real, honest-to-goodness *news*; fab, while still worthwhile, was generally a much lighter and more entertainment-oriented, and ultimately much more disposable, publication.

And if nothing else, now maybe there's some room for Outlooks or In Toronto to expand onto some of fab's old turf.

Posted by: Craig S | Mar 13, 2013 11:12:55 AM