Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai Denounces Homosexuality

Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, who said in October 2011 that he wanted gays protected in a new constitution, is apparently not feeling that way anymore:

TsvangiraiPrime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai made a sudden U-turn and denounced homosexuality during a meeting in Harare last night. Addressing MDC-T supporters at Glen View New Hall, Prime Minister Tsvangirai denounced homosexuality and said marriages should be between a man and a woman.

“In the draft Constitution, we said marriage is between a man and a woman and those who want to marry another from the same sex, then they have a problem. Why do you want to sleep with another man?”

Here's what Tsvangirai said in 2011:

"It's a very controversial subject in my part of the world. My attitude is that I hope the constitution will come out with freedom of sexual orientation, for as long as it does not interfere with anybody."

Tsvanfirai received backlash for his remarks, but later stood his ground, saying he refused to throw stones:

“I want to put finality and closure to an issue that has been misinterpreted, the issue of the so-called gay rights. My beliefs on this issue are a matter of public record. My beliefs manifest themselves in my practice. I am a Christian associated with the Methodist church. I am a father. I am a grandfather. I am a family man. I am a Zimbabwean and I know the strong feelings of Zimbabweans about this issue. I have those strong feelings too but in the end, Zimbabweans are making their own Constitution and it is that Constitution which will bind every Zimbabwean. What I refuse to do as a loyal son of God and as a social democrat is to persecute, to judge, to condemn and to vilify people for their own opinions because judgment is a preserve of God the Almighty. The Book of Luke Chapter 6 verse 37: “Do not judge and you will not be judged, do not condemn and you will not be condemned. The Book of John Chapter 8 verse 7: “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone… So while I may differ with them, as a Christian and as a social democrat, I refuse to throw a stone at them."

Comments

1. marc says

“Why do you want to sleep with another man?”

ummmmmmmmm, why do you want to sleep with a woman?

It can’t be just to make babies, you’re too old and ugly for that.

2. HadenoughBS says

Any time an ignorant opportunistic politician adds “God” or “Christianity” into the mix, one or more groups are bound to get f*cked. This story is a perfect example, especially in a backward country like Zimbabwe where God’s children apparently don’t include members of the GLBT community. And are we surprised? I think not.

3. oliver says

@Towleroad (aka Andy)…if you are going to cherry-pick comments to delete – and delete one of mine, then please delete ALL of mine, since the remaining comments don’t make any sense out of context.

Nothing good can ever come of a blog that deletes comments that they (aka The Owners) don’t like.

So much for Free Speech!

4. Craig says

Give him a couple months, he’ll be calling for death to gays. The so-called “christians” are just cracking him, he’ll be a full on “Lively christian” in no time.

5. sean says

This guy is just trying to deflect attention away from the fact this his country is literally hell on earth. They are living in the absolute STONE AGE there, and their country is in financial ruin.

Also – Oliver – I’m not sure what your comments were, but I hear you. My comments on here are oftentimes deleted. Free speech does not reign on this blog.

6. Francis says

He was corrupted. Pretty simple. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was paid off, potentially threatened. At this point I’m hopeful LGBTQ Africans can find either safe places in their country or a way to flea their countries and find citizenship elsewhere.

7. Caliban says

Hey, when YOU start a blog you can post all the racist comments you like. The right to Free Speech refers to the GOVERNMENT not being able to censor you, not anything else. Don’t believe me? Go into your job and call and call your boss a fat stupid bast*rd. You can scream about your Free Speech rights on your way out the door.

Think this gay is a bigoted @sshole? So do I. But you hardly make yourself better by describing him in racist terms.

8. John M. says

Zimbabwe – another country I do not plan to visit. Adding it to the whole of western sub-Saharan Africa. Botswana and Namibia remain on the list.

9. Not that Rob says

Stop with the freedom of speech BS. It’s andy’s blog, he can edit the comments anyway he sees fit. Get your own blog if you don’t like it.

10. says

thank you, Caliban.

at some point folks need to actually read the first amendment and understand it.

or take their racism over to GayPatriot.net, which (ironically) only deletes comments and blocks commenters who post factual statements, citations and evidence that negate gay right-wing talking points. for real. hate liberals and blacks! gaypatriot.net is for you! made a point about Obama doing more for the LGBT Community than Romney? gurl, you gonna be deleted and banned

😀

11. Derrick from Philly says

I agree, Francis. Corruption. This is very disappointing. I thought Tsvangirai would bring a new day to Zimbabwe once Robert Mugabe went to his final resting place in hell. Oh, well, maybe he’ll have another turnaround–especially if foreign aid is used to turn him around.

And I also thank you, Caliban.

12. oliver says

@Sean, Yeah it’s apparent that as Andy is getting older (and wider) he’s becoming just like his buddy (Chip Arndt) – it’s always their way or the highway.
    Oh well, I’ve had enough….

13. says

Yet another politician pandering to the evangelical proselytized mob….keep calling on god, you have no concept of a fair society based on equality before the law.

The really big problem is the spread of Protestant Evangelism in Africa…..sure some Catholic evangelism, but for the most part assorted Protestant denominations.
    They bring their poisonous bigotry everywhere they go, they have no grasp of civil rights and have some mad notion of “a higher law”…….
    Protestant evangelism brings with it a closed mind determined by some belief in the supernatural, either gods or ghosts……both scare the bejesus out of Africans !What they do not bring is any concept of human dignity and love…they hate love.

-where are Ghostbusters when you need them ?

14. Brian says

I guess as I’ve tried to move away from all the hateful racist stuff I didn’t realize that Andy has actually started to delete some of this disgusting crap that Oliver and his fellow racists like to throw out there. I for one am thrilled that he’s starting to take some responsibility for what gets posted on his site. It still seems pretty haphazard as the comments sections are littered with some really vile stuff, but hey, it’s a start.

15. says

Some of you guys are doing a lot of naval gazing.
    I don’t think being deleted is an issue here.
    I remember last year some comments were deleted about Ken Melman, but that may have been because his home address was posted, inadvertently, in relation to some fund raising event. The whole piece was deleted with all posts.
    Otherwise I have never been deleted.

16. Derrick from Philly says

MAMBA,

Mr Tsvangirai’s family may have owned slaves. Zimbabweans weren’t that poor during the years of the slave trade. Other African nations bore the brunt of that traffic.

17. Marc C says

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out OLIVER. Of course you could also just apologize and admit that you were wrong for making such an asinine comment, but then you could NEVER do that could you?

18. danswon says

Although he comes across as very ignorant, the statements he made now and back then aren’t contradictory. Just because he doesn’t want gays to marry and doesn’t understand why people are gay, doesn’t mean he doesn’t think they should be protected from violence and discrimination of other forms.
    I think we have to remember that the views on sexuality of most of these African nations are hundreds of years behind ours, so even the more progressive ones are going to sound somewhat conservative by our standards.

19. John says

No surprise here. Black Africans are almost without exception as a group very opposed to homosexuality. The only very small island of tolerance in the whole continent are in the white areas of South Africa. I have a gay friend who is moving to Gambia and I think he’s crazy!!!

20. Morty says

Of course white gays are going to throw racist slurs (as is too often the case). They conveniently forget the fact that all of these draconian theocracies in Africa were violently and horrifically set in place by white Europeans after ransacking entire nations.

It’s not the black man that you need to fear; it’s other white people. The ones who sit at the highest levels of government and deny you your rights, the ones who routinely galvanize into pickets demanding for your deaths and the ones who assault you at bars.

21. John says

Morty,I invite you to go and hug and kiss your boyfriend as you walk down a major street in any city in Africa other than Capetown and Johannesburg. See who is going to be assaulting and even demanding your deaths. Safety for gay men and women in 97% of Africa is 50 years away at best and that is optomistic.

22. Chris says

I live in Kenya and I kind of get where the PM is coming from. In most African countries, being gay is such a great taboo that gay marriage sounds like a whimsical notion from the west!
    This is country where a gay man went for treatment for anal warts and the nurse called in her fellow nurses to look at the ‘shoga’-deragotary term for gay.
    Most leaders don’t even acknowledge the existence of gay men, the fact that he even mentions them without saying they should be killed or something is progress for Africa.

23. emm says

an opportunistic who is tryin his luck,,,,,he thot if he does like wat Obama said then he wil win e hearts of thoz gays,,alas to no avail,,he is turning arnd to mke fools of thoz idiots who only luks forward for a change with no reason for that change,,,zimbabwe has been declared a christian country thus anything that is inhuman and affects e faith of e true zimbabweans is a non starter thing,we want democracy but not a idiocy