Basketball | Boston | Gay Pride | Jason Collins | News | Sports

Boston Pride Parade Organizers to Jason Collins: We Want You to be Grand Marshal

Boston Pride has formally invited NBA player Jason Collins to lead its Pride parade:

Sportsillustrated_collins“Boston Pride has formally invited Jason Collins to be a Marshal in the 2013 Boston Pride Parade, held June 8th. Boston Pride is proud that our annual celebration helped to inspire Jason Collins to make his groundbreaking decision to come out. We’re also very pleased that he has announced he’ll be marching in this year’s Parade – we’re looking forward to it!”.

Said Collins in his Sports Illustrated coming out announcement:

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."

Comments

1. YAYYYYY!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 29, 2013 5:20:46 PM

2. Kiwi,

do you think that Ratbastard (used to be John In Boston) will be there waving flag?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 29, 2013 5:28:32 PM

3. no. he'll be at home complaining about stereotypes :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 29, 2013 5:35:08 PM

4. I wondered why nobody did this before, even a straight-ish guy could pretend and reap these rewards, in fact I was dreading that situation trumping the actual first.

I am so glad that all the supposed fanfare is in fact real fanfare! I hope that wakes up all the secret bigots on the management side to not stand in the way of this progress.

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 29, 2013 5:45:37 PM

5. I would've mind if he came to town.

Posted by: me | Apr 29, 2013 5:46:50 PM

6. Wouldn't

Posted by: me | Apr 29, 2013 5:47:20 PM

7. It's nice of them to offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if he turns it down because it changes "I'm a pro-athlete who happens to be gay. " to "I'm a gay pro-athlete."

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 29, 2013 5:54:31 PM

8. I think these Gay Prides are starting to become a bit obselete (at least in the United States) as we move into normalcy & the mainstream -- but, that said, Jason Collins is a much better choice than Bradley Manning.

Posted by: will | Apr 29, 2013 6:03:14 PM

9. will, your country is a good two decades behind many other countries when it comes to LGBT Equality.

obsolete? clearly you don't know what the word means.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 29, 2013 6:14:43 PM

10. Meanwhile, a rogue faction in San Francisco is trying to get Charles Manson named a Grand Marshall of SF Pride (with a stand-in, of course). This only after finding out Jeffrey Dahlmer was no longer living. "He's gay or possibly trans and did things most of us simply wouldn't have the courage to do," cited a spokesperson for the rogue group.

Posted by: Jesse | Apr 29, 2013 7:00:51 PM

11. will, your country is a good two decades behind many other countries when it comes to LGBT Equality.

obsolete? clearly you don't know what the word means.

Posted by: Little Kiwi

And yet we'd rather be here than The Great White North. It's a patriotism thang, you wouldn't understand.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 29, 2013 7:46:57 PM

12. Jesse - Good one, Annelle

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 29, 2013 7:48:29 PM

13. Now all we need is a straight florist, hairdresser or stylist to come out as "not gay" to put this in perspective.

Posted by: GB | Apr 29, 2013 10:18:01 PM

14. Screw you Boston! He lives here in DC. Let him be our Grand Marshall or whatever.

Just kidding. We can share.

Posted by: KEith | Apr 29, 2013 11:32:34 PM

15. I'm willing to bet that none of us ever heard of this guy before he came out.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 29, 2013 11:48:16 PM

16. This is amazing. I LOVE what Pride stands for. A celebration of our history filled with philantrophy and non profit opportunities, PFLAG (parents of LGBT), elected officials, politicians, young, old, all backgrounds coming together to celebrate our history and our community.

Posted by: Klien | Apr 30, 2013 8:29:54 AM

17. I hope he does accept it! That would be wonderful.
    Jason Collins has displayed so much confidence and class. He is unapologetically himself.

Posted by: Grant | Apr 30, 2013 8:30:42 AM

18. @Derrick,

Waving the flag?

@Mr. Miller,

Since you brought it up, yeah, pride is top heavy with gay male stereotypes. If all non-gay people knew about homosexual men is stuff they've seen at pride celebrations, they indeed would think gay = fat hairy guy with mustache dressed as a nun, whipping a skinny shaved guy in a leather jock, attached to a dog collar and leash.

I understand Mr. Miller is into stuff like this, maybe Derrick in Philly, newsflash: MANY gay and bi men are not.

I very rarely go to parades, pride included. Pride is basically for gay community cliques [similar to small town cliques or high school cliques], busybody 24/7 gays into the scene, and outsiders who come into the city from outlying rural areas and towns. I'm jaded. I admit it.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 30, 2013 10:00:16 AM

19. God, I can't wait to go to Pride this year. A fantastic collaboration of all the amazing members of our community involved in a TERRIFIC event to come together.

Wouldn't miss Pride for the world. And neither will many of my friends.

Posted by: SilentJay | Apr 30, 2013 11:20:49 AM

20. Love Pride parade, but especially the events leading up to it. Always fun to catch up with old friends and make new ones.

Posted by: Mikey | Apr 30, 2013 11:21:24 AM