Brett Easton Ellis | GLAAD | News

BigGayDeal.com

Bret Easton Ellis Says He Was Banned from Attending GLAAD Awards

Ellis

The GLAAD Media Awards were held in Los Angeles on Saturday night and author Bret Easton Ellis, whose rancid past tweets that Matt Bomer is too gay to play a heterosexual and that Chris Colfer and Glee give him fright of catching HIV have landed him in hot water, claims he was banned from the GLAAD awards.

Be_ellisWrote Ellis in a series of tweets:

"As a gay man in a domestic partnership who plans to get married I'm sad to hear I've been banned by GLAAD from attending tomorrow's event... GLAAD is supposedly "furious" about my tweets. And I'm guessing not the ones concerning my boyfriend or how sexy I think Adam Driver is... It's GLAAD's party and they can invite whoever they want, but as the guest of someone invited who was told today she can't bring me, well... After GLAAD banned me they told the friend who was bringing me to the event to WARN "Bret not to go public or TWEET about this decision..." Bill Clinton signed DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell and cheated on Hillary. I dissed Glee and Matt Bomer as Christian Grey. GLAAD: RIGHT ON!"

GLAAD vp of communications Rich Ferraro told the Hollywood Reporter:

"GLAAD spoke with the guest who was planning to bring Bret about some of Bret's recent remarks, which the gay community responded negatively to. We also asked for a time to sit down with Bret. They decided to replace Bret with a different guest and there has been no response to the offer of a meeting. We hope his tweets don't overshadow the high-profile allies and everyday LGBT people who will be onstage tonight advocating for equality in the Boy Scouts, marriage and across the country."

A full list of GLAAD Award winners can be found here.

President Bill Clinton's speech accepting his GLAAD award can be found here.

Comments

1. Why would anyone care about Bret Easton Ellis or his tweets? This guy is a legend in his own mind...nothing more.

Posted by: Taylor | Apr 22, 2013 8:45:56 AM

2. I don't think someone like Bret Easton Ellis -- who, if you don't know, writes stories about sociopaths hurting other people in extreme ways -- would be any sort of asset to GLAAD or GLAAD events. I would definitely keep my distance from this guy, whether as an organization or a person.

Posted by: Kev | Apr 22, 2013 8:48:15 AM

3. I wouldn't invite him to anything.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 22, 2013 8:50:03 AM

4. + One of GLAAD's interests is in reducing violence (against LGBT people specifically). Not a good fit.

Posted by: Kev | Apr 22, 2013 8:52:59 AM

5. Eh, they deserve each other. I don't know what the problem is, two has been navel gazers serving no useful function in society. Next year they can forgive him his homophobic tweets and give him an Advicate for Change award.

Posted by: jersey | Apr 22, 2013 8:53:53 AM

6. He should be happy to be banned from that fiasco.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 22, 2013 8:58:09 AM

7. In a word: Who?

Posted by: Atlanta-Mark | Apr 22, 2013 8:58:57 AM

8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ_LHyx2odc

Posted by: Gus | Apr 22, 2013 8:59:21 AM

9. Obviously he didn't fit with GLAAD's agenda.

Posted by: CGD | Apr 22, 2013 9:06:59 AM

10. Both are right, Glaad can't risk him being sensational and derailing press, Brett is a jerk, but shouldn't be banned, just never invited.

After re-reading his offensive tweets I am taking him off the watch shelf in my mind. The guy made catty comments, no surprise really and no reason to not like him, just don't become his friend. He's no Jeremy Irons.

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 22, 2013 9:11:19 AM

11. Oh well. Say what you want about GLAAD, but B.E.E. is not a good representation of the community.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 22, 2013 9:15:07 AM

12. I don't invite jerks I don't like to my parties either.

Posted by: J Y | Apr 22, 2013 9:16:32 AM

13. GLAAD is full of sh!t most of the time but even they wouldn't GLAAD invite dog excrement scrapped from the bottom of one's show their awards ceremony.

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 22, 2013 9:18:19 AM

14. I like Bret. Is GLAAD such a sacred cow now that we can't parody or criticize them? F 'em if they can't take a joke.

Posted by: will | Apr 22, 2013 9:20:35 AM

15. Two things I couldn't care less about: Bret Easton Ellis and GLAAD

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 22, 2013 9:36:10 AM

16. So a jerk who insults people publicly isn't invited to a party which probably will have said people attending and we should feel bad for him? No thanks.

Posted by: DavidP | Apr 22, 2013 9:40:45 AM

17. What exactly does he do for a living? What's his income source? Don't tell me he makes 4 writing. What's his hustle[s]?

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 22, 2013 9:44:17 AM

18. So GLAAD awards are NAACP Image awards for white people?

(They should have let Bret come; that was down low and cowardly to disinvite him through his female friend. What were they afraid he was going to do?)

Who else is blacklisted (pink-listed? fairy-dust listed?) from GLAAD? Bad precedent, to do it in such an underhanded manner.

Posted by: Zeta | Apr 22, 2013 9:46:15 AM

19. Brett, you do understand that the "D" in GLAAD is for "defamation" right?

Posted by: e.c. | Apr 22, 2013 9:50:00 AM

20. Good. His sick hatred of gay men doesn't need the spotlight.

Posted by: Danny Berry, NYC | Apr 22, 2013 9:54:14 AM

21. And why someone whose tweets are bordering homophobic most of the time (i don't care if he is bisexual) want to go to that awards.

Well maybe for the same reason he write those types of tweets or the reason he defended 50 shades of grey and wanting to write the screenplay.

He is irrelevant right now (he never was respected as writer but at least he used to be very popular and his novels sold a lot), and instead of writing a good novel, he prefers easy ways to stay in the limelight

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 22, 2013 9:58:16 AM

22. It sounds like GLAAD never invited him, but that he was going with another guest. I'm sure they had to submit guests, and that's when GLAAD said no. So they didn't backpedal.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 22, 2013 10:23:00 AM

23. GLAAD has declared itself an utterly worthless organisation by honoring Bill Clinton - the man who used our oppression under DOMA as a campaigning tool.

GLAAD are utterly irrelevant and useless and are simply selling the communities they pretend to represent down the river.

Easton Ellis may be an idiot, but he has not caused the same massive damage to our community as Clinton caused.

Yet Clinton gets HONORED!

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 22, 2013 10:25:49 AM

24. BTW - where was GLAAD's President? Also banned from the event?

Posted by: Marc | Apr 22, 2013 10:34:27 AM

25. IF GLAAD did tell his friend that Ellis had better not tweet or go public about the incident, that's abominable. Although, Ellis isn't exactly an honest broker and is a less than reliable witness here...

It does, however, make me a little queasy that I also find Adam Driver amazingly handsome.

Posted by: princely54 | Apr 22, 2013 10:41:17 AM