Basketball | Chris Broussard | Jason Collins | News | Sports

ESPN Sportscaster Chris Broussard Says Jason Collins is 'Living in Unrepentant Sin' - VIDEO

Broussard

ESPN sportscaster Chris Broussard had a few things to say about NBA player Jason Collins, who became the first out gay male player in pro sports today, Think Progress reports.

Said Broussard in a segment with gay ESPN colleague LZ Granderson:

Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly, like premarital sex between heterosexuals. If you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits. It says that, you know, that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, whatever it maybe, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. So I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I don’t think the bible would characterize them as a Christian.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Not a huge reader of the bible, but I do know it says "judge not, let ye be judged" if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 29, 2013 5:00:54 PM

2. Expect lame forced apology in about 10 minutes, or he'll be looking for new work.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 29, 2013 5:01:46 PM

3. Broussard went on to say that "All Jews go to Hell, especially Anne Frank, and that Gandhi is in Hell, too. And that every single African that was kidnappe and sold into slavery is also in Hell because they weren't Christians either"

Actually, a Christian is one who follows the lessons of Christ. Therefore, anyone who ever makes a public spectacle of their prayers is NOT a Christian - you know, Sermon on the Mount.

every time a Christian prays in public they disobey scripture is attributed to them.

werk.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 29, 2013 5:05:06 PM

4. What does it mean to "not believe you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle"? Does he think we're all lying about being gay and are secretly straight? Regardless of what he believes, I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong on a sports broadcast.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 29, 2013 5:05:23 PM

5. So CB doesn't do think etc sinful things thought etc.? Right? Do these people actually read the Bible?
    @Paul R, it'll be very lame, because it would be logical to think he now says what he thinks, no matter how illogical it sounds to me.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 29, 2013 5:06:23 PM

6. At first I thought this was CBN, Christian Broadcast Network but then realized this guy was ESPN. I dont know anyone who looks there when I want spiritual direction....What gives?

Posted by: Sean | Apr 29, 2013 5:06:40 PM

7. It's always so surprising to me that in the year 2013 people still believe and say stupid things like this. We live in a world of morons.

Posted by: mikep | Apr 29, 2013 5:07:16 PM

8. Frankly I don't give a crap what your bible says, I don't believe in sky fairies, and the bible is nothing more than something akin to Aesop's Fables.

Hopefully this idiot will be unemployed soon, I am tired of this sort of BS.

Posted by: jsb | Apr 29, 2013 5:07:18 PM

9. @Matt - no doubt his biblical knowledge is ZILCH.

these people think they know it because their pastors or what have you ramble on and on about things that (drumroll please) aren't actually IN the bible.

"Christians" often pick pre-Christ scripture and focus on that, or the Nonsense of Paul. They tend to all but avoid the parts of Scripture attributed to be the words of Christ. why? because he comes across as a liberal hippie.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 29, 2013 5:09:14 PM

10. And is this asshat calling out all the NBA players with their various Baby Momma's?

And...again...the gay man can't be a christian according to this christian...STOP allowing these idiots to speak about christianity as if there is only one sect that "has it right."

Posted by: QJ201 | Apr 29, 2013 5:09:44 PM

11. Mr. Broussard assumes that Mr. Collins is a Christian and therefore is bound to Christian dogma. He may be a Christian and there are denominations with in the faith that accept the gay community even if he does not do so. He may not be and there for what Broussard says is irrelevant and stupid. Either way he is an ass.

Posted by: Rees Cramer | Apr 29, 2013 5:11:46 PM

12. Let's ask this dumb asswipe what his buybull says about slavery.

Posted by: palto | Apr 29, 2013 5:15:02 PM

13. What the holy frack does the Bible have to do with playing basketball?

Posted by: ripper | Apr 29, 2013 5:15:09 PM

14. So does ESPN let Broussard randomly toss in his opinion about the "morality" of various player's lives or is it just okay when it's someone gay? 'Cause if Broussard made a habit of chiming in on every heterosexual player that was living "sinfully" under the dynamic he mentions I imagine there wouldn't be any time on ESPN to actually report any sports.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Apr 29, 2013 5:15:23 PM

15. What a horse's ass!

Whatever happened to the era when athletes were cool and changed their names to Muhammed Ali and Kareem Abdul Jabar and like that?

If I wanted to hear from "the church lady", I wouldn't tune in to ESPN.

Posted by: Fahd | Apr 29, 2013 5:16:00 PM

16. The idea that Christianity is truth is amazing. It's just a belief and who cares what this jerk believes...it's not the truth. However, what IS the truth is that he's a bigot and doesn't know the Bible or anything about Christianity as Kiwi point out. I remember hearing or reading a long time ago there was a speech by Christ exclaiming that "anything that comes before me is dead" meaning the Old Testament and yet these "individuals" always look to the Old Testament for their reasoning.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Apr 29, 2013 5:20:29 PM

17. Really? Did anyone actually expect any other reaction from a jock station? Or from other players? Or from the fans?

Posted by: NullNaught | Apr 29, 2013 5:21:59 PM

18. Oh, well, I thought all Creoles were Catholics. How the hell did he get into Protestant fundamentalism.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 29, 2013 5:23:07 PM

19. What does the bible says of the excesses of the lifestyles of rich basketball players?

Posted by: BETTY | Apr 29, 2013 5:24:34 PM

20. "I think, I think, I think..." I truly don't care what you think.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 29, 2013 5:27:07 PM

21. @Woodroad34d; You READ littlekiwi's posts? Don't you know he is a straight troll just trying to make gays look bad? I haven't read anything he has written in a year or two.

Posted by: NullNaught | Apr 29, 2013 5:27:11 PM

22. He just sounds pretty damn ignorant, especially about his faith and morality in general. He's also not especially articulate, even for a sportscaster.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Apr 29, 2013 5:31:00 PM

23. The Bible and their fundamentalist followers are spoiling America!

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Apr 29, 2013 5:36:35 PM

24. Pathetic.

So this guy has read a 3000 year old book and wants to impose his interpretation of it on everyone, .....and Christians aren't in the Bible last time I looked ( admittedly a long time ago).

Ignorant a$$holes like this guy are just tiresome.......why doesn't just shag off and talk to his gods in private......we're all stocked up with crazy here.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 29, 2013 5:38:15 PM

25. What difference does it make whether Jason is a Christian or not? What does that have to do with playing basketball? Besides, only Jason can say whether or not he is a Christian. No one else gets to define him.

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Apr 29, 2013 5:39:55 PM