Comments

1. AJ says

All aboard the Nope Train to Noperville!! CHOOO CHOOOO! Seriously ever since 9/11 I am terrified of tall buildings. The first thought I always have is “How long would it take me to get out of here in an emergency?”

2. SammySeattle says

Skyscrapers creak constantly in high winds. When thousands of joints are “giving” to allow the building to sway with the wind there is going to be creaking. Offices toward the center and corners of the building can become especially noisy.

3. Voet says

I remember being in one of the twin towers of the World Trade Center and you could actually see the swaying of the buildings by looking at the other tower. Somehow “they’re designed to do that” was not much comfort to me. Also the ride up the express elevator was unnerving as the car shook the entire time.

4. Preludes says

My family had Thanksgiving dinner at the top of the World Trade Center in 1997 and the buildings were swaying and my sister started to cry. So yes, they do sway.

I hate super tall buildings, and Dubai is the last place on Earth where I would want to die.

5. George Deeming says

Metal fatigue anyone ??? … shearing bolts & joints – domino effect after so many joints, bolts & components fail ??? How many years do you think before the big ‘fail’ ????? oooops.

6. Rich says

I worked for many years at 555 California Street in San Francisco, a 52 story building. On windy days you could hear the building creak, particularly in the rest rooms, located in the central core of the building. It did sound like a wooden ship.

A totally different experience was the 1989 earthquake. It felt like the floor was on rollers, moving back and forth.

7. Rrhain says

OK…if the videographer was trying to show anything, it was a complete failure. This is a common failure of amateur video folks: The constant moving of the camera. Stop, just stop. Stop moving. Stop trying to grab everything. Nobody can see anything when the camera is constantly moving. If the building was swaying, there was no way to tell. Pick a spot and focus on that so that we can the scene unfold on its own rather than you trying to force something.

Other than the audio, which was so quiet that my wireless headphones which don’t actually connect unless there is real sound to transmit didn’t connect, what was the point of the video?

8. Isaac says

As someone who designs these things (I actually stayed in the hotel (The Address) seen through the window in the video), those buildings are designed with withstand these winds. Since the Burj Khalifa has a concrete structure, it’s very stiff, but even concrete has some give. It’s probably either the joints in the curtain wall on the exterior or the ductwork doing all that creaking. You want those joints or you’ll have lots of shattered windows when the building shifts due to winds and thermal differentials throughout the day.

As for earthquakes, there was a New York Times article that talked about how the Japanese are shying away from highrises after the earthquake and tsunami a few years ago. People were freaked out by the buildings swaying. The problem is that modern highrise have a better chance of withstanding earthquakes than the shorter buildings that people are moving into. People’s fears often run against the facts.

9. Joseph Singer says

It really is not weird. If you’ve never been in a tall building during a good wind storm you’d know that it’s not weird and happens quite frequently. The buildings are meant to bend.