Ben Carson | News

Dr. Ben Carson Apologizes, Says He Could Have Made His Anti-Gay Point Less Offensively

Dr. Ben Carson has apologized to Johns Hopkins University students and staff in an email expressing regret over remarks he made to Sean Hannity comparing gays to pedophiles and people who have sex with animals, Politico reports:

Ben_carson“As you know, I have been in the national news quite a bit recently and my 36 year association with Johns Hopkins has unfortunately dragged our institution into the spotlight as well. I am sorry for any embarrassment this has caused,” wrote Carson, who is the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. “But what really saddens me is that my poorly chosen words caused pain for some members of our community and for that I offer a most sincere and heartfelt apology. Hurting others is diametrically opposed to who I am and what I believe.”

Carson said he has not changed his views on gay marriage, but that he recognizes he erred badly in expressing his opinion.

“There are many lessons to be learned when venturing into the political world and this is one I will not forget. Although I do believe marriage is between a man and a woman, there are much less offensive ways to make that point. I hope all will look at a lifetime of service over some poorly chosen words,” he said.

More than half of Johns Hopkins students have signed a petition calling for Carson to withdraw as commencement speaker.

Comments

1. Yes. You must choose your words carefully when espousing bigotry, hatred, and discrimination. You know, Doctor, so as not to offend.

Posted by: dattexas | Apr 6, 2013 12:53:33 PM

2. Two words, Dr Carson, and i bet even you can guess what they are.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Apr 6, 2013 12:59:40 PM

3. I'm starting to realize the conservatives are using bigoted black conservatives as their mouth piece. When said bigoted black conservative makes anti gay, anti women or anti muslim commentary and is criticized for it: conservatives QUICKLY call said criticism racist knowing that can get away with using one minority to attack another minority, and when said minority is questioned for their bigotry...conservatives all rally around their minority mouth piece and make a martyr out of him.

It's a strategy they have down to a science and needs to be called out.

Posted by: Alejandro | Apr 6, 2013 1:00:04 PM

4. I feel like all these apology letters are trying to desensitize us toward homophobia and homophobes. At a certain point, after a million people are forgiven and not facing ANY consequences for their anti gay speech, because they sent an apology letter then the message being set is
    "No matter WHAT you say about the gay community...fabricate a polished enough apology and all is forgiven"

I'm kinda over these apology letters and being told to accept them and move on.

Posted by: Two Dads | Apr 6, 2013 1:03:18 PM

5. You used gay Americans and gay families as a ploy to get political points with conservatives and brand your political career. NO apology will ever, and I mean EVER, be good enough for hhow you *used* gay Americans to uplift your political career.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Apr 6, 2013 1:04:44 PM

6. This man is starting to creep.

You used gay people to get yourself on the map. You knew exactly what you were saying and doing and your comments reminded me of things we would hear in the 90s. Ignorance at it's worst.

Posted by: Lion | Apr 6, 2013 1:05:54 PM

7. There's something so creepy about this man and how calculating and forceful he is about trying to appear as a 'nice guy' but you can tell his entire nice guy act is a fabricated pseudo mannerism, ad comes off rather creepy when you observe his interviews. He just seems like every smile and gesture is pre though out in advance.

Posted by: Gio | Apr 6, 2013 1:07:11 PM

8. I"d love to hear from nurses who have worked with him in the OR at Hopkins. Anybody there?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Apr 6, 2013 1:11:09 PM

9. Still against equal rights just sorry he didn't crouch it in less offensive terms? How very giving of him. He might be a great doctor but this just shows that a gift in a certain area doesn't necessarily make you a well rounded, fair minded person.

Posted by: joel | Apr 6, 2013 1:11:47 PM

10. Professional apology writers must be raking in the dough for creating such tripe. His first attempt involved a banana, apple, and a pear. Wow, what an apology turd.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Apr 6, 2013 1:13:15 PM

11. So, where is the apology to the GAY COMMUNITY, Dr. Carson? And it's funny how he's, as said above, not sorry for what he said more than how he said it. Not once did he address actual gay people in that "apology". Lame. Pathetic.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 6, 2013 1:16:46 PM

12. You got it Alejandro. That's why "Conservatives" want this Lawn Jockey to run for President.

But at this rate he couldn't get elected Dog-Catcher

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 6, 2013 1:17:29 PM

13. All the talk of him being a great doctor.

My grandma had a surgeon who was to perform open heart surgery on her. He did once, and he was magnificent at his work. Noted, loved, famous and accomplished. Yet one day, his bed side manners made me rethink what it means to be a great doctor. He took, what he thought was a private cell phone call, in a corner of a resting lobby area I was seated at. In that conversation, I overheard him say some terrible things about different patients, including my nana. It was at that moment I realized being a "great doctor" is more than just your skills, but your humanity as a person.

Posted by: Joel | Apr 6, 2013 1:26:46 PM

14. This is why I would never go to a "black" doctor...

Posted by: tyler | Apr 6, 2013 1:29:18 PM

15. This is a standard, official GOP talking point now. The problem isn't their inhuman and immoral positions. It's the way they present them.

Posted by: Steve | Apr 6, 2013 1:31:53 PM

16. let's hope the jh students make their displeasure clear at the ceremony.

Posted by: candide001 | Apr 6, 2013 1:32:00 PM

17. Can a black person be more white than this? It's amazing how assimilated into the white culture of hate he is. It should embarrass "real" black folks to have this white-washed piece of crap in their corner. Nothing like spending your life ashamed of who you are...makes you morph into whatever this man is. He's a good example of what none of us want to become !!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 6, 2013 1:32:02 PM

18. What a huge disappointment this dude has turned out to be. A pretty face, but no brain to go with it, and a big ego.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Apr 6, 2013 1:32:39 PM

19. Go back to Apelanta please...

Posted by: donned | Apr 6, 2013 1:44:15 PM

20. Hopefully my comment above didn't sound racist...it's not meant to. He just reminds me of a gay person who's abandoned all "gayness" to make everyone else comfortable. I think it's a terrible loss when you give that much of yourself up to fit in.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 6, 2013 1:44:17 PM

21. Go back to Apelanta please...

Posted by: donned | Apr 6, 2013 1:44:17 PM

22. Hopefully my comment above didn't come off as racist. I just think it's like a gay person sacrificing everything about being gay that makes them beautiful...just to make everyone else feel comfortable.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 6, 2013 1:48:40 PM

23. I don't get it. Kevin Jackson (Black conservative talk show host) is a pretty sharp fellow. He is right on many many things and (unlike many people here) actually has some facts to back up his positions. But then comes MARRIAGE, and his brain goes to goo. The same for Michael Medved. It's like this is the secret handshake of people who can make money by running their mouths to conservatives.

Posted by: Hagatha | Apr 6, 2013 1:50:34 PM

24. I think we should bring back segregation...Let the blacks be with themselves...

Posted by: roge | Apr 6, 2013 1:52:52 PM

25. The doctor is oh so sorry that he went off script and revealed his true colors. Note that his apology was NOT directed at the GLBT community, but towards his employer and coworkers. In other words, he's trying to save his own ass.

Posted by: Major Tom | Apr 6, 2013 1:53:39 PM