Gay Marriage | Gay Wedding | Google | News

Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Shaun and Michael

Shaun

Towleroad reader Shaun proposed to his partner Michael this week at the Google office in London:

He had no idea I would be asking him to marry me. Or that hundreds of people were in on it.

We are a binational couple, separated for the last two years, on and off, without the ability to sponsor Michael for citizenship in the United States because of the Defense of Marriage Act. I flew to London for one of our regular trips and secretly to propose to Michael, in hopes that he'll be able to finally join me permanently in the US after the Supreme Court decision.

Five minutes before the proposal, all of the TV screens in the cafe showed a timer countdown. At about 10 seconds, Michael remarked "its really busy in here. also, what is that timer". Then the video starts.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Don't miss our other recent Gay Wedding videos...
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Tim and Bennie [tlrd]
Gay Marriage Proposal of the Day: Mike and Dave [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Dan and Eric [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Wesley and Jonathan [tlrd]
Gay Wedding Video of the Day: Jackson and Kwesi [tlrd]

Comments

1. It would have been a complete disaster if Michael had said no. Marrying another person is a pretty intimate thing. Maybe you're hedging your bet that your partner won't turn you down in front of everyone but if that's the case then the proposal is more for their benefit then it is for you and your loved one.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 27, 2013 10:39:40 AM

2. So inspirational. Love is in the air for sure.
    @Mike Ryan, surely they knew and perhaps discussed the marriage. I agree, it is intimate thing, but then again, I love these open proposals.
    All the best for these guys!

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 27, 2013 10:45:58 AM

3. That was very sweet. Congratulations to the handsome, happy couple.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 27, 2013 11:21:09 AM

4. Wow. I'm 50 (not ALL that old) and I can't believe how things have changed just in my lifetime. We still have a long way to go, but it's pretty overwhelming to see a whole room of people cheering for a gay marriage proposal. It's just amazing!

Posted by: Tracy | Apr 27, 2013 11:22:25 AM

5. Sweet! Sorry for your heart being so jaded, Mike Ryan.

Posted by: Chaszle | Apr 27, 2013 11:50:59 AM

6. @Tracy

I'm 28 and even I am surprised to see how much has changed just in the past decade.

Posted by: brian | Apr 27, 2013 11:55:01 AM

7. I thought it was kind of hokey. Some people, me included, are just not into big into PDAs. I think my boyfriend knows if he tried something similar on me I'd walk out the same way Master P did recently when his 'friend' set up a flash mob for his birthday and embarrassed the guy. I hope the next proposal is less fanfare and more the couple. I liked the one where the guy proposed to his boyfriend using his family, friends and flash cars. That was pretty clever.

Posted by: Gusman | Apr 27, 2013 12:13:20 PM

8. Sorry, that should say "flash cards" (not cars, my bad).

Posted by: Gusman | Apr 27, 2013 12:14:43 PM

9. From now on, couples should propose in ways that make Gusman happy. Let’s dedicate our lives to Gusman.

Posted by: Au | Apr 27, 2013 12:20:14 PM

10. While such a public event isn't for everyone, I think it is a great and wonderful proposal. Just because it isn't the way you would make a proposal doesn't mean it is wrong or shouldn't be featured.

I wish these two very handsome men the best and hope they have 50 or 60 years of wedded bliss.

And I thank them for reminding me of how much things have changed in my life time. And for that I am very thankful.

Posted by: BSmart2 | Apr 27, 2013 12:26:55 PM

11. Makes me cry everytime, hope they are happy forever, beautiful, and congrates

Posted by: Bruce Hackel | Apr 27, 2013 12:33:05 PM

12. Made me cry xoxo

Posted by: notice | Apr 27, 2013 1:08:35 PM

13. He’s sooo tall. I love tall men.

Posted by: Ant | Apr 27, 2013 1:22:07 PM

14. Very very sweet :)

Posted by: Francis #1 | Apr 27, 2013 2:06:41 PM

15. @Tracy and Brian:

I agree with both of you, but don't kid yourself that a dining area at Google is representative of the world. Almost everyone in that room is under 40. The huge change in the world is happening because of the Millennial generation and the late Gen Xers, who dominate that cafeteria. If someone did this in the cafeteria at Lloyds of London, in front of a bunch of 60-year old brokers, I suspect the reaction would be muted. Not hostile, but not nearly as supportive as this.

Posted by: Emmile | Apr 27, 2013 2:29:29 PM

16. Very cute but that sweater scares me lol.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 27, 2013 2:51:59 PM

17. So beautiful!

Posted by: litper | Apr 27, 2013 3:01:00 PM

18. "It would have been a complete disaster if Michael had said no."---True. But it depends on when you propose. You don't do something really public like this unless you're certain what the answer is going to be already.

Now, if you're doing it instead because you're *not* sure and you want to force a yes, to me, that in itself would be a huge warning flag that the marriage should not take place.

Posted by: Hyhybt | Apr 27, 2013 3:12:07 PM

19. While it's beautiful, heart-warming, and so forth, were someone to propose to me like this I'd die of embarrassment. I don't even like restaurants to know it's my birthday, in case they come over and sing at me.

Posted by: Hyhybt | Apr 27, 2013 3:13:17 PM

20. It is rather wonderful especially at one's place of work. Public proposals can of course go very wrong. I think if you're together and it is a wonderful set up one should say yes. If after one feels it isn't quite right then one has the opportunity to think and talk it through. If however you're happy to be together and there's such a wonderful public display of support that is a lovely affirmation of the relationship.

The logistics are a little interesting. There's no marriage in either San Fransisco or London (yet) but hopefully there's only a few months to wait in both places!

Posted by: Craig Nelson | Apr 27, 2013 3:23:28 PM

21. I'm glad they shared. I'd probably turn red, but I'd go through with it.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 27, 2013 3:56:01 PM

22. @ Brian :
    I totally agree......I am staggered at the change in perception of us....

I have even been decriminalized, individuals have stopped trying to ruin my career behind my back, there are other young gay guys in my profession and "the gay" is so ordinary for them, and most of all the sheer horror of reading about people with "full blown AIDS" dying has receded ( I know we have a long way to go....but ultimately we will get to a cure).

Now we have advances in demanding equality with straights; a few years ago my main concern was getting home (or elsewhere) safely and avoiding gay-bashing , as the straights joyfully liked calling it.

And Little Kiwi, who posts here, has it right; because there are so many of us now out and visible a momentum has built and we have the time.
    As Sigfried Sassoon wrote;
    "The singing will never be done."

the sweet boys who want to marry distil all our hopes and joys.
    Many many congratulations, shaun and Michael.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 27, 2013 3:58:37 PM

23. Correction :

"......and we have the tide."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 27, 2013 4:00:05 PM

24. Emmile,

I completely agree with you that a crowded lunch room at Google would be a more open and accepting group than the lunch room at Lloyds of London or many other conservative work places. Back in the day I got called on the carpet because I wore neckties that were considered to loud and flashy. I managed a branch office of a CPA firm. Appropriate attire was my "Undertaker black or blue" suit and a quiet solid tie. I do think things have relaxed everywhere. Would the there have been that many people involved at Lloyds? I doubt it, but it might also surprise you.

BSmart

Posted by: BSmart2 | Apr 27, 2013 4:07:53 PM

25. To Emmille

The change came about because people my age (over sixty) started coming out, started having pride parades, and had a politician like Harvey Milk. It happened because hundreds of thousands of Gay men were struck with HIV and brave men and women fought back and refused to backdown. Videos like this show me that it was not all in vain. If only my dear brothers could see this now. Enjoy your freedom to marry. We old folks wish you the very best.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 27, 2013 4:09:16 PM