American Idol | Music | News

'Idol' Contestant Candice Glover Stuns with Cover of The Cure: VIDEO

Glover

This is what you call 'in the zone'.

Watch Candice Glover's cover of "Love Song", AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: If anyone else was wondering about the demonic voice that interrupted...

Comments

1. One word: WOW!!!!!

Posted by: jtramon | Apr 11, 2013 10:01:26 AM

2. Made it through 40 seconds and the "singing 8 notes when 1 would do" melisma overload started.

I hope Robert Smith enjoys the royalties, though.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Apr 11, 2013 10:06:06 AM

3. Good lord, I normally don't get moved by talent shows, but this was AMAZING.

Posted by: zeddy | Apr 11, 2013 10:16:22 AM

4. Beautifully done. That song has been seeing some great covers, including Adele, but this is probably the best Ive seen.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 11, 2013 10:17:23 AM

5. That's not covering the Cure and making it her own. That's just doing the version Adele already did.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 11, 2013 10:25:38 AM

6. So many singers mistake overwrought for authenticity but this lady has real talent and soul. Adele may have done this song before, but Candice made it her own. Wow!

Posted by: stranded | Apr 11, 2013 10:39:27 AM

7. This isn't the version Adele did, not even close.

It is very melisma'ed out, but I chalk that up to being on American Idol.

Posted by: Gregoire | Apr 11, 2013 10:41:57 AM

8. I usually hate melisma because a lot of it now is from the Christina Aguilera school of awful, overdone, pitchy, scream-singing backed by limited vocal quality. But this--this was amazing. Candice knows how to do melisma--how to embellish but return to the home note at the perfect moment. Awesome talent.

@Rob--Candice and Adele sound nothing alike, at all. They each take a completely different approach to the song.

Posted by: Thomas | Apr 11, 2013 10:54:06 AM

9. What's that creepy noise at 1:11?

Posted by: Joe | Apr 11, 2013 10:57:32 AM

10. The studio track for sale on iTunes is even better

Posted by: QJ201 | Apr 11, 2013 10:57:50 AM

11. I agree, Thomas. I usually hate the "Hey, y'all, look what I can do!" type melisma, that covers up lack of technique and tone, but Candice used melisma with taste, tone and technique. I thought it was sophisticated, like classic jazz.

I had never heard this song, and had no idea Adele had covered it, but as I was listening I thought of Adele. I was thinking Candice's tone and technique are so good, I'd like to hear those two duet.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 11, 2013 11:18:15 AM

12. Damn. I can't bear to watch this show so I'm glad someplace runs the highlights. And this was a highlight.

Posted by: Bart | Apr 11, 2013 11:21:28 AM

13. I'm glad we can count on all of you Queens with extraordinary musical talent to tell us all how to sing. Bravo Candice!

Posted by: Kissyfur | Apr 11, 2013 11:23:09 AM

14. She totally brought down the house! Girl can sang! And for those who can't bear to watch the show, it's actually a LOT better this year. The talent among the remaining 5 girls is so far beyond anything they've ever had on the show. With the exception of the last remaining guy on the show, who's only there out of sympathy vote, the 5 other girls are amazing! But yeah, this performance by Candice was truly the greatest performance ever on American Idol!

Posted by: House Music Pusher | Apr 11, 2013 11:37:38 AM

15. Beautiful rendition. I still like Adele's better, but this was great.

Posted by: Marc | Apr 11, 2013 11:39:38 AM

16. Just lovely. This made me cry with joy.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 11, 2013 12:04:34 PM

17. NAILED IT!

whewwww baby! well done!

ever heard Tori Amos' live cover of this song? it's pretty dang amazing, too.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 11, 2013 12:08:13 PM

18. God american idol is such garbage, the first 20 seconds of the video are ads... Too bad she didn't try out for the Voice.

Posted by: Fenrox | Apr 11, 2013 1:15:38 PM

19. A Christian friend on Facebook posted this on her FB page and I was bowled over by how many people commented on what a beautiful job Glover did on this "beautiful Christian praise song."

Posted by: Larry McD | Apr 11, 2013 1:36:30 PM

20. Honestly, If you think this is just a rehash of Adele's version, you have no idea what you're talking about. Adele did a guitar focused Bossa Nova arrangement (that is much closer to the original Cure version). This was a R&B infused arrangement that worked for Candice. She sounds great, but Jesus is there a melody in there anywhere?? I'll take Adele any day and twice on Sunday

Posted by: Craig | Apr 11, 2013 2:02:57 PM

21. She is fantastic, and practically the only thing that idol did well this year.

Unfortunatelly i think idol don't want her as winner, and the same way they wanted Paul Jolley eliminated as soon as possible, they will push her under the bus soon (the fact that only Mariah thought she is one of the best three speak really loud).
    I think she will be the Melind Doolittle of the season (but i wish i am wrong)

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 11, 2013 2:14:01 PM

22. Cleary she can do melisma very well and has a beautiful voice. With that said, it was WAY too much melisma.

Melisma is like dessert, it should just be a cherry on top, not the whole meal.

The beginning was wonderful like the first few spoonfuls of icecream. By the end I felt like I had overdosed on 2 gallons of the stuff.

Posted by: Ulu | Apr 11, 2013 3:21:21 PM

23. I have skipped the last two seasons of idol but this season has 4 amazingly talented girls. Candice is at the head if the pack, but Amber reminds me of a young Whitney, Kree has a country Patsy Cline thing going on and Angie is flawlessly talented. Glad I picked it up again this season. This performance had me stunned completely speechless. It's NOTHING like the Adele one. This ranks up there with Fantasia doing "Summertime" and Katharine McPhee doing "Over the Rainbow" for stunning performances. This may be the best the show has ever had.

And I was wondering what that weird sound at 1:11 was too. I thought it was my TV.

Posted by: AJ | Apr 11, 2013 3:57:13 PM

24. I didn't like it. Her voice has a weird "Glee" autotune quality to it, which is quite unpleasant, but I suppose scientifically interesting.

Also, she left out (or "forgot") the "girl reaction" lyric in "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", which was pretty unsatisfying.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 11, 2013 4:31:19 PM

25. um...hasn't anyone heard Adele's version. I have a sneaking suspicion that Candice got inspiration from it. Regardless...her version was also beautiful.

Posted by: me | Apr 11, 2013 6:33:06 PM