Basketball | Brittney Griner | I'm Gay | News | WNBA

WNBA Top Draft Pick Brittney Griner Comes Out as Gay: VIDEO

Brittney Griner, the  three-time All-America centre at Baylor who was the top pick in Monday's WNBA draft and is now headed to play for the Phoenix Mercury spoke about her sexuality for the first time in an interview Wednesday with SI.com.

GrinerSaid Griner when asked by SI host Maggie Gray why there's a difference between acceptance of gays in men's versus women's sports:

"I really couldn't give an answer on why that's so different. Being one that's out, it's just being who you are. Again, like I said, just be who you are. Don't worry about what other people are going to say, because they're always going to say something, but, if you're just true to yourself, let that shine through. Don't hide who you really are."

Gray asks how difficult it was for her to come out:

"It really wasn't too difficult, I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality. So, it wasn't hard at all. If I can show that I'm out and I'm fine and everything's OK, then hopefully the younger generation will definitely feel the same way."

Watch the full interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh, well, that's a big surprise! Seriously though, good for her!

Posted by: Trey | Apr 18, 2013 12:42:18 PM

2. In other news, water is wet.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 18, 2013 12:49:40 PM

3. the key to coming out is not easy, but it IS simple: steel yourself and learn to not care how others may choose to perceive you.

and realize that by refusing to come out, you're actually letting all those meaningless ignorant bigots "force you" to Stay In.

until you're Out, you're simply letting the bullies win, and control you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 12:50:06 PM

4. She's not masculine enough.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 18, 2013 12:50:15 PM

5. If being a high-profile lesbian athlete at a very conservative, fundamentalist religious college like Baylor was so easy, why did she wait until she graduated to come out?

She would've made a lot more impact if she'd announced while still playing for the Batpists.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 18, 2013 12:54:20 PM

6. "In other news, water is wet."

And so is your Depends diaper. Take a break from the keyboard and go tidy yourself up.

@"She's not masculine enough."

We'll let Little Kiwi handle you, Rick.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 18, 2013 12:55:58 PM

7. She's not black enough.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 18, 2013 12:57:49 PM

8. there's no point in dealing with the not-Out anonymous cowardly trolls who come on here every day to lie, online, about their own wished-for masculinity. if it were true, they'd be way more of a visible than i am. and they're not. because they're not Out, nor "masculine", nor empowered, nor well-adjusted.

hate in an online vacuum.
    ROCK ON GRINER!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 12:59:16 PM

9. A sports star coming out will not matter until the person is male and white.

Posted by: James | Apr 18, 2013 1:04:55 PM

10. WOW, I'm astounded! There's still a WNBA?

Posted by: terry | Apr 18, 2013 1:05:33 PM

11. Her weewee is bigger than mine.

Posted by: Little Kiwi (Little Weewee) | Apr 18, 2013 1:08:51 PM

12. I think a big difference between the two is the perception of the general public. I'm not saying it's good (or bad), but it seems that sports fans (and others) tend to think that male sports figures that are highly competitive must be straight, and that women competitors that are highly competitive must be lesbians. These are both stereotypes that must be broken, and it is only more difficult to do so when something happens that reinforces those stereotypes. I think that it will only make it better for women's sports figures if a man finally comes out and shatters that viewpoint.

I'm also not saying that this is the only thing holding women back from coming out, but it does add a bit of pressure. More than ever, too, fellow straight teammates in women's leagues need to continue standing up in support (or come out of the closet for equality). This is a team effort, and both stereotypes need to be broken because one props up the other.

Posted by: Alan E. | Apr 18, 2013 1:08:52 PM

13. I like the bowtie.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 18, 2013 1:16:17 PM

14. @ "She's not black enough"

She can play basketball. She's doing better than me. And like I said, get out of those Depends.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 18, 2013 1:19:40 PM

15. @ "She can play basketball. She's doing better than me."

My name is Derrick from Philly and I resort to cheap racial stereotypes when I can't think of a witty retort, even at the expense of degrading myself and my people.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 18, 2013 1:44:11 PM

16. As a Baylor Alum I am very proud of Brittney.

Sic em Bears!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Apr 18, 2013 1:58:01 PM

17. Is anyone, that has followed her career from high school through her playing at Baylor, the least bit surprised? She has always come across, especially in after game interviews as a boy trapped in a tall girl's body.

Posted by: ***** | Apr 18, 2013 3:42:37 PM

18. and ****** comes across like a neutered wimp of a boy trapped behind a computer screen. so, yeah.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 3:48:33 PM

19. I'm happy that she can finally be open and honest about who she is. Playing at a conservative college must have been difficult.

Posted by: MuscleModelBlog.com | Apr 18, 2013 3:52:54 PM

20. The misogyny is pretty strong in many of these comments. Disappointing if wholly unsurprising.

Good for you, Brittney!

Posted by: dws | Apr 18, 2013 3:58:19 PM

21. David Hearne, also known as Rick, hates women, and has said that quite frequently on this blog. It's best that he's ignored. He has nothing substantial or worthwhile to say. The only thing he contributes is a general feeling of disgust.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 18, 2013 4:13:53 PM

22. "I'm happy that she can finally be open and honest about who she is"

As I have noted before, there are generally three kinds of prominent people who have come out:

1) those that are so obviously gay that it would be ridiculous to pretend otherwise (that is the case, here)

2) those who have little or nothing to lose by doing so because they are protected in some way (for example, they are entrepreneurs who own their own businesses rather than working for an employer)

or 3) those who have something to gain by doing so (Ellen Degeneres, looking for a way to differentiate herself and thereby revive a floundering career)

I wish that were not the case, but there are still almost no cases of people in any field risking anything by coming out.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 18, 2013 4:14:45 PM

23. Ironic for Rick to be criticizing anyone for coming out when they aren't "risking anything" by doing so, especially considering that he's never once shown his true face or, as LittleKiwi likes to point out, provided proof that he's a visible and proud gay man. The opinion of a troll like Rick (or his other aliases Jason, Ratbastard, and David Hearne) are worthless and sad. What a creep, whoever this troll is.

Posted by: MateoM | Apr 18, 2013 4:22:33 PM

24. And then there are truly masculine gay men like myself but we don't need to come out because coming out is for liberals and effeminates. Men like me are really impressive because we because we use the internet to criticize everyone else every day without ever showing ourselves. But trust me, you don't want me to come out - I'm about as impressive as an anal wart.

And I say that having had several.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 18, 2013 4:23:33 PM

25. They all look like drag queens.

Actually, Griner's being a lesbian is a little surprising; I always assumed she was intersex.

Me? I'm pretty much asexual ever since I my pit bull chewed my weewee off. I tried getting a tattoo to cover up my man-gash, but the tattoo artist just laughed and said I was already over-tatted. At least I'm out. But nobody is surprised. I'm just a big ol' walkin' lispin' tattoo tied to an ugly pitbull.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 18, 2013 5:02:21 PM