Comments

1. says

there’s been a lot of “oh, the dems are just jumping on the bandwagon” talk, which is actually sort of hilarious.

yeah. boo. how awful that of all the wagons to jump onto it’s the one that…uh…supports and promotes Equality.

much more noble are the republicans who continue to fall over themselves trying to show who’s the bigger bigot.
    GOP 1: If *I* had a gay son, I wouldnt’ support gay marriage.
    GOP2: Hey! I *do* have a gay son and i STILL don’t support gay marriage!
    GOP3: My son is gay and I support gay marriage but not enough to make it something I vote on.
    GOP 1 & 2: Screw you! You’re a liberal progressive!!!!

2. sword says

Thomas Jefferson: “I acknowledge that I have a Black son…but I just can’t free him from slavery”

3. MiddleoftheRoader says

Manchin, Pryor and Landrieu are not going to come out for marriage equality. They are up for re-election, and there is a good chance they may lose in 2014 to Republican challengers. In their states (WV, AR, LA), coming out for marriage equality will be used against them just like Bush used marriage equality to win Ohio, and win the Presidency, in 2004 (with the state referendum). As it is, the Democrats are not likely to keep the Senate in 2014, but it will be close. A loss by Manchin, Pryor and/or Landrieu will almost certainly put the Senate in Republican hands — WHICH MEANS CONTROL OF WHO GETS APPROVED FOR THE NEXT SUPREME COURT OPENINGS.

4. Bart says

It’s not surprising they can’t evolve on this issue. They don’t believe in evolution.

5. Kevin_BGFH says

If I had to place a wager, I’d bet that Bill Nelson would be the next to support marriage equality. This is based more on their states than personal knowledge of any of them.

6. Moz's says

actually sword

Jefferson freed all his enslaved children upon his death/ in his will

Didn’t free any other slaves since he had used them as collateral for bank loans.

Jefferson also had moved their mother into a brick house with a covered walkway directly to the mansion. Not great, but better home than many whites had at the time

Jefferson also had his children educated in trades so when they were freed they would be able to makie a living like blacksmithing etc.

Jefferson was a horrible hypocrite slaver BUT he did free his children and treated them much better than many white slave owners treated their slaves at the time

7. Moz's says

last bit should read as

“….treated their enslaved mixed race children”

^ a very common occurrence in america’s past

8. Lymis says

Michelle Bachmann has a gay husband, and she hasn’t endorsed marriage equality, either.

9. says

I agree that it’s unlikely that some of the Democratic legislators will come out to publically support marriage equality, especially the ones in more conservative areas.