Chicago | Gay Marriage | Illinois | News

BigGayDeal.com

Marriage Equality Counter-Protest In Chicago

ChicagoAbout 200 hundred marriage equality supporters and same-sex marriage protesters participated in a counter-protest in Chicago yesterday. According to the WLS-TV, groups from both the Gay Liberation Network and the anti-gay Illinois Family Institute took part in the march.

The Chicago Phoenix reports about the tension in the crowd:

At one point, tempers flared when LGBT rights activists and an a pastor shouted in each other’s faces. “Your bigotry is killing young queer people,” an LGBT rights supporter yelled at the man. Rev. Luis Ruiz of the Christian Assembly Rios de Agua Viva near Midway on the city’s South Side, denied that he and other demonstrators were in favor of discrimination and decried accusations of bigotry. “We are in favor of [peoples' rights] as prescribed by God,” Ruiz said. “We are not against anyone’s rights. We are praying for the city … We all need prayer …

Watch a video of the protest, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. the "Assembly of Rivers of Living Water?" i thought Agua Viva was a cheap mens cologne? oh, wait! that's Agua Velva which, btw, has no meaning whatsoever...

Posted by: mike/ | Apr 28, 2013 12:44:38 PM

2. Hard to believe that anyone would be protesting LGBT marriage equality and still say "We are not against anyone's rights."

How does one function in a daily existence with a mind that fractured?

Posted by: JONES | Apr 28, 2013 12:51:15 PM

3. He believes in everyone's rights as long as he approves of them.

Posted by: trees | Apr 28, 2013 12:59:47 PM

4. “We are in favor of [peoples' rights] as prescribed by God,”

In other words, we get to decide who has rights and who doesn't based on our personal interpretation of a book written by some Middle Eastern guys thousands of years ago.

Just once I'd like to hear a religious person admit that their "God" could possibly be a figment of someones imagination. Since no one have ever provided any proof of the things existence shouldn't they at least allow for that possibility and not constantly attempt to create a world where only their belief is accepted?

Posted by: Eddie | Apr 28, 2013 1:00:21 PM

5. I don't like hearing these words come out of my mouth but if I don't ask...I'll bust. Were any of these god freaks even born in this country and what do they eat? Madre de dios...they're ugly as sin....and I mean real sin.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 28, 2013 1:23:10 PM

6. Stupid provocation

Posted by: MArk | Apr 28, 2013 1:34:56 PM

7. Deport them to Iran

Posted by: Steve | Apr 28, 2013 1:36:29 PM

8. One man, one woman - per marriage, presumably. But, how many marriages? They claim to consider the institution of marriage sacred, yet they condone divorce, marriage vows notwithstanding. Ugh.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Apr 28, 2013 2:06:30 PM

9. Those anti-gay protesters are pathetic and their signs suck...I like how colorful the pro gay signs are

Posted by: Will | Apr 28, 2013 2:21:43 PM

10. Did anyone else notice the majority of the protestors against gay marriage are latino ?

Posted by: Icebloo | Apr 28, 2013 2:29:15 PM

11. Icebloo - How do you know that? People in the midwest rut randomly and have generated a genetic slurry rendering such identities impossible to make photographically.

Posted by: David Hearne | Apr 28, 2013 2:35:43 PM

12. “We are in favor of [peoples' rights] as prescribed by God,”

He is undoubtedly in the wrong country. Our rights are not nor have they ever been determined by anyone's gods.

Posted by: j leo | Apr 28, 2013 2:46:04 PM

13. I wonder who will ask that big guy in the blue shirt and baseball cap, holding the equality banner, for his hand in marriage?

Posted by: JG | Apr 28, 2013 2:52:08 PM

14. Sometimes...big & sweet is delicious JG. Like with strawberries.
    When ugly is right under the skin though...well, I think you know what I mean.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Apr 28, 2013 3:09:52 PM

15. I'm increasingly disturbed by the behavior of LGBTQ people during demonstrations. The pursuit of freedom and equality doesn't justify bad behavior and public discourse is not reality TV.

Our indulgence in ad hominem attacks, threatening behavior, screaming in our opponent's faces, and smug, witless, shrill righteousness have rendered us all but indistinguishable from our enemies.

Particularly with regard to marriage equality, we seem to have no concept of being gracious winners. I don't respect anger. I respect wit, dignity, and compassion.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 28, 2013 3:10:06 PM

16. Marriage: One man, One woman, and Six cheeseburgers.

Posted by: TomTallis | Apr 28, 2013 3:37:24 PM

17. Bryan- I think shrill anger is fine when you pay twice the taxes of straights and get half the write-offs. Also since we don't all reproduce, we are paying for their kids education !! not cool.

Posted by: ty | Apr 28, 2013 4:06:01 PM

18. The majority of Latinos support marriage equality; it's the far right religious crowd that doesn't. That cohort includes Anglos, Latinos, African Americans and any other ethnic group that identifies as religious fundamentalists. It does no one any good to indulge in lazy ethnic stereotyping - just as the gay community wishes to be respected we must be equally respectful.

Posted by: mike | Apr 28, 2013 4:21:40 PM

19. Icebloo -- Maybe that's because one of the leaders of the demonstration is the pastor of a Latino church? You think there might be a connection of some sort?

Posted by: Hunter | Apr 28, 2013 5:10:25 PM

20. Protesting our right to marry is a great way to distract them from their priests raping their children.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 28, 2013 5:14:02 PM

21. I love the cognitive dissonance required to claim "We are in favor of peoples rights as prescribed by god" I'm an atheist and stupid superstitution means SQUAT to me. Screw you, Jesus freaks.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 28, 2013 6:14:17 PM

22. Oh cool people demonstrating to keep my rights away from me who are in this country and can't even speak English. How many of them are even US citizens. RIDICULOUS!

Posted by: James | Apr 28, 2013 6:54:46 PM

23. I agree with Icebloo and James - most of them seem like Hispanics, and yeah, I bet half of them aren't even here legally. They don't have any business protesting in our country.

Posted by: Pigs | Apr 28, 2013 8:26:56 PM

24. It's sad that you see the same faces on the anti gay side in all these protests.

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 28, 2013 8:27:02 PM

25. I'm a hardcore liberal and democrat, black, and not coming from a place of prejudice but factual observations. Knowing that the evangelical movement in the U.S will get a HUGE boost with the acceleration of millions of undocumented immigrants, mostly from heavily Catholic Latino nations, makes me nervous at best and frustrated at worst. We already have enough anti-gay ignorance in this country. We now have to deal with folks moving here and demanding our countries constitution be abolished and us conform to the customs and religious extremism of some parts they came from.

Posted by: Al | Apr 28, 2013 8:30:25 PM