Food and Drink | Gay Marriage | News

California Vintner Creates 'Same-Sex Meritage' Wine to Benefit Marriage Equality: VIDEO

Cellars

California vintners Matt Gold and Josh Stein created 'Same Sex Meritage' wine and teamed up with Cellar Angels, which pairs its wineselling with donations to worthy causes.

Says founder Matt Gold:

In September 2012, I was introduced to a very talented winemaker with a big heart, Josh Stein of Stein Family Wines, about a matter unrelated to Same Sex Meritage. The conversation arrived at a juncture where it made sense for me to bring up my failed pipe dream. I explained the concept and my vision for Same Sex Meritage to Josh and he loved the idea. Within ten minutes of meeting, we had decided to create this wine as 50/50 partners and we’ve accomplished a lot since that first conversation. We haven’t singlehandedly overturned DOMA, but we write checks every month to the amazing advocacy group Freedom to Marry. As the official partner of Same Sex Meritage and the other wines we will be releasing in Summer 2013, Freedom To Marry receives $1 from every bottle we sell. It’s the only check we look forward to writing. With the support of progressive folks who want equal marriage rights for all, we hope the amount on those checks grows every single month.

Watch an interview with the vintners, AFTER THE JUMP...

Cellarangels

Comments

1. What a great idea. A "progressive" wine. I love it. Wish them all the luck in the world with this.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 15, 2013 1:49:03 PM

2. OK, where can I buy this?

Posted by: Voet | Apr 15, 2013 1:50:57 PM

3. yay puns!!!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 15, 2013 1:53:05 PM

4. Get out your checkbooks gay wine drinkers! No better way to wet your palette AND contribute to the freedom to marry. Great idea!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 15, 2013 1:57:03 PM

5. Here's where you can buy the wine. http://tinyurl.com/d55dyse

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 15, 2013 2:02:19 PM

6. Love..love...LOVE it.

Posted by: Neemno | Apr 15, 2013 2:09:35 PM

7. I actually want to purchase it as well.

Posted by: TX n | Apr 15, 2013 2:10:05 PM

8. Neat, and kind of adorable.

Posted by: Klien | Apr 15, 2013 2:10:31 PM

9. I know Matt personally and he is an amazing advocate and the wine is fantastic!

Posted by: Ian | Apr 15, 2013 2:13:04 PM

10. They donate $1 per bottle? No offense, but that's not very much.

This is wine. It isn't sold in bulk. So their actual contributions based on $1/bottle are probably quite small, even as they use Freedom To Marry to boost their sales. Obviously, $1/bottle is better than nothing, but it hardly warrants such lavish media praise. If they really wanted to contribute, they would contribute an amount based on a % of sales.

Posted by: Dale | Apr 15, 2013 2:41:46 PM

11. @ Dale - Perhaps there is a miscommunication or misunderstanding of the commutative property of mathematics. $1 per bottle is 4% of retail sales. This, however, is a manufacturers' initiative so it is actually an 8.33% cut at wholesale - and that comes straight out of their margin. I think that is a very generous act in support of our cause. My thanks to two guys who found a creative way to contribute.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Apr 15, 2013 2:57:07 PM

12. @ Dale

What exactly have you done for the community? List it in detail please, with date and citation. Everything you've done for the cause. Considering a dollar donation from each bottle sale (which could amount to thousands) for our cause by someone isn't that worthy for you.

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 15, 2013 3:48:08 PM

13. a slogan

while not all grapes are equal, all human beings are!

Posted by: lukefromcanada | Apr 15, 2013 4:03:20 PM

14. @MikeBoston:

They charge $20 for delivery on a single bottle order, so the actual % is more like 2%. And they personally benefit from the increased sales that come from this modest contribution.

Like I said, we should appreciate the contribution and it is better than doing nothing. But the press coverage exaggerates what they are doing. I'd be interested to see how much they have raised in actual dollars.

@Patrick:

I do plenty, including donating $250 to each of the 4 marriage campaigns last year.

But the point is not that I am better than these guys or that I do more or less than them. The point is that the press coverage is excessive based on what they are doing with this wine. Based on my contributions to the campaigns last year, I wouldn't expect fawning press coverage. If I had given a million, or if I had given half my income, or if I had quit my job to volunteer, then I would expect fawning press coverage.

Posted by: Dale | Apr 15, 2013 4:32:29 PM

15. I hope this wine is good, and not taking advantage of a community...

Posted by: Randy | Apr 15, 2013 5:34:33 PM

16. Matt is a GREAT guy!!! And the wine is FANTASTIC! We have already bought over 3 cases and have given it away as gifts and served it at parties and people have LOVED IT!

Well worth the price and such a great cause!!!!

YAY MATT!!!!!!

Posted by: C.J. | Apr 15, 2013 5:54:06 PM

17. Go apread the word! Can I get this in Seattle yet? i was the first to bring in the French Cremant, Egalite, to WA, and would like to pair this sparkling to toast equality, followed by your Maritage for the main course.Check out egalitewine.

Posted by: Michael Cawdrey | Apr 19, 2013 2:34:19 PM