Gay Adoption | Gay Marriage | Gay Parents | News | Supreme Court

BigGayDeal.com

Powerful Open Letter to the Supreme Court from a Gay Couple with Three Adopted Kids: VIDEO

Gayparents

Jack Montgomery and his husband Kelly have three adopted kids from D.C.'s foster care system. In a powerful letter and video, he begs the Supreme Court to do the right thing on Prop 8 and DOMA.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

And read along, below:

Dear Justice Scalia as well as your distinguished peers serving on the Supreme Court,

First let me thank you for hearing the historic cases this week on California's Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). My husband, Kelly Vielmo, and I adopted three beautiful siblings from DC's foster care system last year. Being an inter-racial, same-sex family we are used to being conspicuous and sometimes the center of attention on a local level depending on where we happen to be. With the cases being heard in the Supreme Court this week our family is now on debate at the national level. With that said I am following with interest your ruling on these cases. One comment that stuck with me was the speculation of potential "deleterious" effects of kids having same-sex parents. After I looked up deleterious (adj. causing harm or damage) I had to reflect on the harm and damage that has been done to my children. I know that you are listening to these cases from a nationally-scaled legal point of view, but the intent of this letter is to offer you the lens and point of view of one individual family your rulings will affect.

Children who are placed in the care of foster systems throughout this nation have suffered from either the neglect or the abuse of their biological families. For all intents and purposes, we will call this deleterious parenting. Sadly my children were born into these circumstances. They further had statistics against them. The adoption rates of both African American children and sibling pairs (not to mention trios) are greatly reduced. When my husband and I looked at our options for growing our family, DC's Child and Family Services Administration seemed to be our natural choice. We knew we wanted siblings, had no racial preference for our children, and living in the District were able to help our local community at the same time.

FamilyI do not want to go into too much detail of my childrens' history for the sake of their privacy. When our children arrived we welcomed a five-year-old who was not potty trained, a two-year-old who was withdrawn, and an almost two-year-old who never learned to walk. Please understand that there were no biological impediments to the development of these children. Their situation was entirely brought on by deleterious parenting. Since their arrival our children quickly graduated from the need of any additional services to include physical, speech, and play therapy. They are now happy and active members of their community.

I do not tell you these facts to paint ourselves as the saviors of these children. These children have done more for us than we have for them. Having the extraordinary privilege of watching these childrens' souls grow and thrive despite the obstacles placed before them has been the lesson of our lives. I tell this story to establish myself as an expert witness to the effects of deleterious parenting. As you prepare your response on Proposition 8 and DOMA you now have the opportunity to decide what further obstacles will face these children. What are the deleterious effects your decision will have on my children? What states within our nation can these children live in and still declare their family legal? Next year during tax season will their parents have to hire a CPA to determine who and how to list the children as dependents? When the first of their parents passes away will their family's assets and property be preserved and passed between parents as a married family or be treated as legal strangers?

I am not naive enough to think that any verdict of your court will change the opinions or hearts of the individuals we encounter on a daily basis. I accept that the stares our family receives walking down the street on a daily basis elicits both judgment and inspiration. What I do not accept is that the United States of America is willing to devalue my childrens' family more than others and have a separate grouping of laws and benefits. I pray that as you rule on these cases that you keep Cardel (6), Raine (4), and Ravyn (3) in your hearts and do all in your power to keep deleterious obstacles from their lives.

Respectfully Yours,
Jack Montgomery

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. mmm. soundtrack is a bit over-the-top. but otherwise, nice and touching!

Posted by: TJ Parker | Apr 1, 2013 9:30:37 AM

2. I hadn't even noticed the use of 'deleterious'. Scalia really is a huge blemish on that court.

Those guys look like terrific parents. I'd love to have them around in my life.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Apr 1, 2013 9:46:34 AM

3. This is a beautiful vid of a beautiful family.....selfless devoted love.

As for Scalia, it's too late for him; he went over to the Dark side long ago....and his name will live and he will be remembered
    as simply an ugly individual in every sense.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Apr 1, 2013 9:55:44 AM

4. Now I wanna get married and adopt. I didn't before. Thanks Towle. UGH!!! :)

Posted by: Desmond | Apr 1, 2013 9:59:15 AM

5. They have a beautiful family. Many of the gay couples I personally know who have adopted children have done as these two men did and raised children who, for one reason or another, were considered unlikely to be adopted. I don't mean to imply that is the only value gay couples have as parents, to take in children no one else seems to want, but they have "stepped up to the plate" for children of neglect and abuse. And that's no small thing, it's a transcendent act that benefits everyone concerned. It's beautiful in a way so few things are.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 1, 2013 10:43:50 AM

6. Scalia doesn't seem all that inclined to rule positively in cases that will benefit African-Americans either, so I don't see this having any result on him at all. He's a bigot, no matter which way you slice it.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Apr 1, 2013 11:16:21 AM

7. If this doesn't move you call 911.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 1, 2013 1:08:49 PM

8. I only wish the media would show such people, instead of the self-involved dingbats they always show. It's a disgrace that these angels had to put themselves forward. HRC and the rest of our so-called leadership should have been parading them in front of the court from day one.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Apr 1, 2013 1:14:02 PM

9. What beautiful role modes for young gays and lesbians! Bravo, gentlemen, for saving the world a little at a time!

Posted by: michaeld89119 | Apr 1, 2013 1:21:34 PM

10. What Wilberforce said. And 'These children have done more for us than we have for them' - that warms my heart!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Apr 1, 2013 2:14:50 PM

11. Beautiful family.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Apr 1, 2013 3:11:41 PM

12. So beautiful. Powerful. Touching. Love. Amazing family, great kids, two awesome dads. How can you not be inspired :)

Posted by: Francis | Apr 1, 2013 8:42:43 PM

13. Yet it's ILLEGAL and a crime for them to be allowed to get married in 40 states. This country is not a free country. It claims to be, but it has all kinds of oppressions in place.

Posted by: Jordan J. | Apr 1, 2013 9:19:42 PM

14. Homosexuals don't think straight.

Homosexuals expect the Supreme Court to change the foundation of civilization as we know it (marriage), and at the same time tell millions of voters in California that they are hateful bigots for approving Prop 8.

Homosexuals expect the Supreme Court to disenfranchise the majority of voters in California and over-ride the Rule of Law that allows Californians to amend their Constitution.

Posted by: Jean-Jacques Burlamaqui | Apr 1, 2013 10:10:35 PM

15. President Obama is pro-abortion and pro-guns. Pro-death. Pro-erosion of Faith. "President Obama declared his support for same-sex marriage during his re-election campaign. Voters in Maine, Maryland and Washington legalized gay marriage, and Minnesota voters rejected a statewide ban. Rather than remaining on the sidelines in the California debate, the Obama administration came out forcefully last month against the ban and decided to help argue the case in court." (USA TODAY, March 26, 2013)

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world but loses his soul?" -Holy Bible

Posted by: A Christian | Apr 2, 2013 2:33:27 AM

16. An amazing story of Love and dedication. They are blessed by every standard of excellence and "whole-i-ness"!
    This letter and video need to go viral and win more hearts and minds to counteract the negativity of Justice Scalia.

Thanks so much for posting this!

Posted by: Bodhi | Apr 2, 2013 6:41:41 AM

17. These two gay guys are super heroes. They are an asset to their community as well as their family. Dare I say they are an asset to the District as well as the United States. They're as brave as any soldier who has served this country.
    My hope is that the SCOTUS takes into account ALL types of families. Not only do ALL committed couples need federal protections, but their children deserve this as well.
    Thank you Jack and Kelly for your shining example and inspiration.
    Equality for ALL.

Posted by: JT | Apr 2, 2013 7:26:43 AM

18. @Jean-Jacques Burlamaqui:

Homosexuals don't think straight, they think right!

Gays think about the big picture, and the big picture is what is right for all, not just the sometimes crazy, uninformed, uneducated, selfish, can't think for themselves, lemming masses.

And yes, we do EXPECT the SCOTUS to disenfranchise the millions of California voters who were duped by the "Church" into discriminating against the few.

I can assure you that allowing gays to marry will have zero effect on your marriage or your rights.

Heterosexual marriage is not the foundation of society. And for thousands of years gays have been fathers and mothers be it unknown to their spouses or their children. It just wasn't talked about is all.

You are a sham to your namesake if that is really your name.

Posted by: JT | Apr 2, 2013 7:48:07 AM