Gay Marriage | Maurice Williamson | New Zealand | News

New Zealand MP Delivers Hilarious, Uplifting Speech to Parliament About Gay Marriage: VIDEO

Williamson

New Zealand MP Maurice Williamson gave one of the greatest speeches ever delivered at a marriage equality debate last night in the NZ parliament, before the bill legalizing same-sex marriage was passed in a 77-44 vote.

I can't imagine that this wasn't the best speech of the night.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Williamson to great laughter (my transcript):

"I've had a reverend in my local electorate say the 'gay onslaught will start the day this law is passed'. So, we are struggling to know what the gay onslaught will look like. We don't know if it will come down the Pakaranga highway as a series of troops or whether it will be a gas that flows over the electorate and blocks us all in."

"I also had a Catholic priest tell me that I was supporting an unnatural act. I found that interesting coming from someone who has taken an oath of celibacy for his whole life."

"I also had a leader tell me I would burn in the fires of hell for eternity and that was a bad mistake because I've got a degree in physics. I used the thermodynamic laws of physics. I put in my body weight and my humidity and so on. I assumed the furnace to be at 5000 degrees and I will last for just on 2.1 seconds."

“One of the messages I’d had was that this bill was the cause of our drought. This bill was the cause of our drought. Well if any of you follow my Twitter account, In the Pakuranga electorate this morning, it was pouring with rain, we had the most enormous big gay rainbow across my electorate. It has to be a sign."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if you haven't watched the entire Parliament breaking into song after the bill was passed, it's something you must do.

Incidentally, here's the photo Williamson posted to Twitter:

Nz_rainbow

Comments

1. National (Maurice Williamson's party) is, by the way, our right wing party.

Posted by: Gus | Apr 17, 2013 9:07:04 AM

2. Imagine what would happen if one of our politicians mocked religious beliefs with science.

Posted by: Gus | Apr 17, 2013 9:18:27 AM

3. Responding to stupidity with humor, that's so powerful.

Posted by: Luke | Apr 17, 2013 9:20:12 AM

4. My partner and I spent five weeks traveling around NZ in a campervan, and I have got to say I have never met a more pragmatic people in all my days. It was wonderful, and refreshing, and I wake up missing it. I love America, and what we [are supposed] to stand for, but we have lost our pragmatism!

Posted by: Zac Morris | Apr 17, 2013 9:21:15 AM

5. Two Guses! What are the odds? So we're clear, the first comment is from a New Zealander named Gus. I imagine the second is an American named Gus.

Posted by: Gus | Apr 17, 2013 9:21:36 AM

6. This guys is all sorts of awesomeness. Who knew I'd EVER say that about a politician?!?

Posted by: MT | Apr 17, 2013 9:36:50 AM

7. We are everywhere!

Posted by: Gus | Apr 17, 2013 9:36:58 AM

8. This man is brilliant! I'm sharing this on facebook!

Posted by: Jim Brown | Apr 17, 2013 10:07:08 AM

9. Love it and love him (and his gay rainbow reference, too). Amazingly powerful yet disarming speech.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Apr 17, 2013 10:20:21 AM

10. This made my day.

Posted by: Ben Nevis | Apr 17, 2013 10:22:42 AM

11. It's, like, Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot describing the funny procedures he had to go through at Immigrations.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Apr 17, 2013 10:34:30 AM

12. Outstanding...Its raining glitter and rainbows are everwhere

Posted by: Larry Dillon | Apr 17, 2013 10:42:30 AM

13. Wow, no wonder NZ always scores high on international student achievement tests.
    At least there's still one English speaking country that believes in science, the scientific method and rationality! Hurray New Zealand!

Posted by: dancobbb@aol.com | Apr 17, 2013 10:43:05 AM

14. love this guy

Posted by: keating | Apr 17, 2013 11:02:42 AM

15. good to see that pretty much every one in that House applauded him. I didn't hear any booing from his contemporaries. What a positive bunch of people (well, except for the referenced catholic priest, minister, and that other person)

Posted by: woodroad34d | Apr 17, 2013 11:14:48 AM

16. Sending Maurice Williamson love from the (still) politically oppressed in America.
    Your message of acceptance gives us strength.

Posted by: JONES | Apr 17, 2013 11:52:20 AM

17. AMAZING!

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 17, 2013 11:56:37 AM

18. Best marriage equality speech EVER!
    The man is my new hero.

Posted by: Dw | Apr 17, 2013 1:29:35 PM

19. Yes it is amazing. Can't image any politician in the US dare to make fun of a priest in front of camera.

Posted by: simon | Apr 17, 2013 2:42:54 PM

20. The Church and its allies are like schoolyard bullies saying "don't touch my toy, it is mine". They are just saying shut up and fug off. It is so in the face and straight forward. It is called "(re)definition of marriage" bill. Get over it.

Posted by: simon | Apr 17, 2013 3:01:07 PM

21. MP Maurice Williamson,

5 or plus years from now, the effect of your stand will be felt by the next generation to come...

imagine you have a grandson or daughther who has a boy or girl best friend, and this gay / lesbian marriage become norms / normal in our society as family, the feeling of these teenagers boy or girl to their best friend boy or girl will always be misleading and confusing... because they will no longer differentiate the meaning of real marriage is only for man and woman and marriage was a sacrament established by the church and you just destroyed it.. generations of teenagers will be confused what they feel is only in a level of best friend boy or girl and shouldn't be confused to define this as love and will end up in marriage because gay / lesbian is now you called a normal in society.

As norms in society, gay and lesbian will propagate and grow, and this is chaos...

I'm not agains Gay or Lesbian, but please don't ruin the santity of marriage is only for man and woman ONLY!!!!

Posted by: concern | Apr 18, 2013 9:06:17 AM

22. "The Church and its allies are like schoolyard bullies saying "don't touch my toy, it is mine".

Which is even more vile considering that they hold celibacy for their clergy and hierarchy as a value. So "this toy is mine, even though I personally don't choose to play with it, I still get to decide who else does and doesn't."

Posted by: Lymis | Apr 18, 2013 9:33:16 AM

23. Concern, it's not the government's job to see that you or anyone else gets into whatever your version of heaven is. If you don't want to marry a gay person, don't. And you are "agains" gay people. Your nonsensical and paranoid rant proves it. Calm down. Maybe you've a few closets to emerge from of your own? Your rabid response seems to say so.

Posted by: Leisa | Apr 18, 2013 10:23:39 PM