New Zealand Set to Pass Marriage Equality Tonight

As I mentioned earlier in the week, New Zealand is set to pass marriage equality tonight on its third and final reading. Passage is virtually assured.

NewzealandIf you are an American night owl you can watch it happen. Live streaming available HERE.

As far as timing goes, should happen at around 3:30 am EDT.

Champagne is on ice, TVNZ reports:

MP Louisa Wall's Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill, which would allow same-sex couples to marry, is due to have its third reading and final vote in Parliament.

Big crowds are expected at Parliament tonight ahead of the reading, and celebration parties are planned across the country.
There is a fully booked public gallery at Parliament to watch the historic moment.
Representatives of France, Spain and the US will attend and international media will cover the event.

Comments

1. Adam says

Yay to New Zealand. A big thumbs down to its neighbor Australia, a country which won’t be getting gay marriage any time soon due to both its major political parties being led by proud homophobes.

2. Andrew says

Well done NZ! It kills me that both the Liberal and Labor parties in Aus have homophobes leading them. What’s worse is that Aus (62% in favour of marriage equality) won’t change their vote, to a party like the Greens, to see equality win.

3. says

Wow, I thought conservative Christian New Zealand would rather be boiled in oil than go gay marriage! Worse, I thought “liberal” Australia would be the one thumbing its nose down on “Jesus-freak” New Zealand! when it comes to this subject. How wrong I was!

4. sean says

While it is likely to go through this evening the anti-gay marriage sector will fight it to the end – this comment from the Catholic Archbishop John Dew says it all -Dew would have liked more time for the full implications of the move to be considered because “some people would think if it’s legal it’s moral. We still have a long way to go before we get true universal acceptance but it is a good start

5. Adam says

The problem with Australia’s gays is that they think Mardi Gras means acceptance. Because of the huge crowds at Mardi Gras, they think they are being accepted at the political and social level.

Too much partying, not enough activism – this basically sums up Aussie gays.

6. Mike Ryan says

And let’s not forget, Australia was the country where other countries sent their convicts, murderers, thieves, and other criminals. Such a country will probably never grant equal rights to gay people.

7. Joshyboy says

As a proud gay Kiwi I’m really very excited! But I would just like to say to “Manny” that I think you have your wires crossed…New Zealand has been paving the way for liberal politics for years! I love the fact that we were the first country in the world to give women the vote and I’m so proud that we are on the verge of another fantastic social revolution!

8. Andrew says

How right you are Mike, because Australia wasn’t one of the first countries in the world to grant women the right to vote – as we are all murderers, thieves and convicts. Seems you’re forgetting 200 years of immigration from other nations.

9. Nick Thompson says

Again, Manny, I have no idea where you get the idea that New Zealand is a religiously conservative country.

We certainly have our religious conservatives, but but by all objective measures (e.g. statistics for religious affiliation, church attendance etc.) New Zealand is one of the least religious countries in the world. What’s more, the statistics suggest that religion here is in steep decline.

I think the evidence for this was in the parliamentary debates tonight. While God was mentioned on the pro-marriage equality of the debate, I didn’t hear him mentioned once in the frankly half-hearted speeches against the bill.